Forums Latest Members

Timegraphers - who's got 'em?

1. rkman11 Jul 10, 2019

Curious to know which members have invested in a timegrapher? I know pretty good ones can be found relatively cheap, but curious which members, outside of the members that are watchmakers or work on their own watches, have them? For us non-watchmakers/simple appreciators, do they fall under the same category as loupes? IE: Will owning one just drive me insane?!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 10, 2019

Depends what you are using it for...

It can be very useful certainly, but it depends on your personality if it will drive you insane or not.

3. rkman11 Jul 10, 2019

I love to know how accurate my watches are running, so it would be used for checking accuracy. I've used a few apps but haven't found a great one yet. But knowing that a new macro drove me a little nuts when it revealed some flush on a dial that then got caught up in the hand set, maybe that speaks to my personality and what a timegrapher would do...?

4. MikeMan2727 Jul 10, 2019

I don't have one yet, but I think it would be very useful to check watches with unknown sevice history to get a general idea of what you have.

rkman11 likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 10, 2019

I can’t speak to your personality traits, but ask yourself if finding out that a watch you thought was running well, isn’t. Is this going to really stress you out? If so, maybe ignorance is bliss. If not, then knowledge is power. Only you can decide how it’s likely to go in your particular situation.

One thing to keep in mind is that a timing machine is only a tool, and you have to know how to use it, and how to interpret the results. I’ve guided some people through it in threads on here before, so you might want try to find those. It’s not a tool that will tell all like a crystal ball, so if you’re using it for watches with unknown service history as was suggested, it’s only one part of determining the health of a movement.

Cheers, Al

pascs, rkman11, gostang9 and 2 others like this.
  6. rkman11 Jul 10, 2019

Great info, thanks!

7. Canuck Jul 10, 2019

Everyone who has OCD regarding their watches probably shouldn’t own one. If you find that some watches drive you nuts without a timing machine, they likely all will drive you nuts, if you own a timing machine.

8. marco Jul 11, 2019

A demagnetiser is probably more useful.
    Our watches are exposed to emi all the time these days. A magnetised watch can be all over the place and doesnt need "real" attention , just a demag.
    Of course the results can be seen immediately on the timeograper.