Forums Latest Members

Time our most precious commodity ,Take a moment please

1. Fattony Aug 4, 2017

Firstly I thank you for taking the time to read this ,it means a lot and I thank the forum for posting it .

Greg Franks is a man I didn’t know 6 months ago. Yet when I started the Watch Collector, it was to enable me to talk to and hopefully meet people like Greg. People who shared a passion for vintage watches, enthusiasts who appreciate the aesthetics and simple beauty of a perfectly engineered measurement of time. Over the months I have been speaking with him I’ve come to understand that passion in the precise way he has built his collection of watches and the massive appetite he has for the information and stories around them. From the vintage Omega Officers Trench Watch via a limited edition George Daniels co axial through to a 18ct rose gold Omega Constellation, Greg clearly has researched and understands his watches and craves the finest pieces. He even has affectionate names he references them by, identities shared by all his family for whom many of these pieces have been collected. In short he is a man after my own heart. A real gent and a genuine pleasure to know, even if only for a little time.

Earlier this week I received a heartbreaking message from his son Tom telling me that Greg is currently in a hospice after a three year fight with advanced, terminal, lung cancer, an illness he fought with the same dignity I have come to recognize in our all too brief communication. Tom was generous enough to take the time to mention how much his dad had enjoyed building his collection and even now was proudly wearing his Omega Constellation which he called his Calcutta. In typical, dignified, fashion Greg has decided to reject any further medical intervention.

I simply wanted to take this opportunity to offer a small, heartfelt tribute to a man I wish I’d known for longer. Greg, it seems a small thing to say but you are in the thoughts of everyone associated with The Watch Collector at this difficult time and, I trust, our close group of collectors who share your passion. Our prayers are with you Greg and your family.

Kindest Regards
    Tony

2. M'Bob Aug 4, 2017

This is indeed a sad post, but the silver lining is that it epitomizes the best this hobby has to offer: the unflinching sharing of information, and the appreciation and gratitude.

3. Fattony Aug 15, 2017

Many thanks to all that took a moment to read this post and to those that passed on there best wishes which I have relayed to Gregg's family.

It is with deep sadness that I have to inform the forum members that Gregg passed yesterday surrounded by his family .

Please cherish the time you have with your families and friends and spare a moment for those less fortunate.

all the best Tony

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 15, 2017

Too true. When I look at my collection, one member of which is 100 years old, I wonder about the previous owners and the lives they lived. A salute to your friend, carpe diem and pay it forward. Amen.

Fattony, M'Bob and ICONO like this.
  5. Wryfox Aug 15, 2017

As a collector of many fine things, I am constantly reminded that I am a mere guardian, a temporary protector of what I possess. One day these things will pass on to others, hopefully those with the same passion I had.

It is rare in life to meet those who share the same true passions. Sounds like Greg was the lucky one to have come across you for a short time.

Fattony likes this.