Forums Latest Members

Time for Some More Hodinkee Bashing

1. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 22, 2019

A little bored this morning, checking in at various websites when I come across this gem on the Hodinkee. Their Bring a Loupe column usually has interesting watches but, as has been discussed here previously, their facts and opinions can be, at times, be a bit dubious.
    What immediately catches my eye is the picture that accompanies the title. A watch that I had in fact been watching on Ebay. A very nice example of what is sometimes known as a Speedmaster Companion or a Seamaster with Technical dial.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring-a-loupe-march-15-2019
    [​IMG] 2018-02-23 004.JPG
    This example is slightly more rare in that it has Geneve badging on the dial (a detail not discussed) and has the Seamaster Hippocampus on the case-back.
    I have a little experience with this reference and its' brother with date window. In fact, I have five (see pic above).
    What is so annoying about this article is the lack of accuracy.
    In the title the reference number is there for all to see and it is wrong.
    Some simple research would tell the writer that the correct ref# for the watch will be 165.002 and if the watch had a date window ref# 166.002.
    What makes me go crazy is the laziness at Hodinkee. Time and time again their articles have issues that can easily be avoided with the most basic research. The reference # in the title is 135.007. A quick Google image search shows an obviously different watch.
    Am I being hypercritical?. Are my expectations out of line?. Don't we have an expectation of accuracy when reading material such as this?

shishy, Cadillac, jankymutt and 11 others like this.
  2. IanS Apr 22, 2019

Yes, let's bash some more people! After all, that's the sole purpose of the internet.

kingsrider likes this.
  3. alam Apr 22, 2019

we love bashing around here! :p

kingsrider likes this.
  4. MRC Apr 22, 2019

Every day
    P1020024m.JPG

ras47, queriver, shishy and 4 others like this.
  5. alam Apr 22, 2019

6. chunkythebulldog Apr 22, 2019

Bash the bishop instead

7. MRC Apr 22, 2019

I am merely Bourne Again.

To anyone who understands my comment -- I started in this business punching my own JCL cards :eek: :eek: :eek:
    In one day I could cost my employer more in one day than I earned in a year.

Did too. Too often :p

8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 22, 2019

I thought it was flog the bishop.

9. Theluglife Apr 22, 2019

I am frankly surprised as I read more and more about some of the basic mistakes that they make. In the future, I will probably spend my time learning about specific references from this forum than from any of these websites. the REAL experts are all in here.

10. Steve88M3 Apr 23, 2019

Hodinkee sucks.

If you don't visit their website, you won't be let down by the dreck they publish.

11. tyrantlizardrex Apr 23, 2019

As someone whose day job involves a ton of researching and writing content for a very savvy audience, I know that it can take a lot of time, and effort to get things in the right order, with just the right level of detail, and exactly the right details/facts/data.

If Hodinkee were a hobbyist blog, run by a couple of folks in their free time, rather than a well staffed, and well funded business, I'd cut them a whole lot of slack, but writing like this isn't really up to snuff.

Sure no one here is paying Hodinkee, and we are, ultimately the product when we visit this site, but the sponsors arguably deserve to be in a business relationship with an organisation that does sweat the details and strives to provide great content, rather than posts inaccuracies and waffle.

On a personal level, if you're not going to put the work into making a piece of content good and accurate, then what's the point of writing it in the first place?

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 23, 2019

As a matter of principle I find "bashing" counterproductive.
    Because then serious grievances are easier to dismiss as being made by people who have an axe to grind, or who just blabber because they're bored and don't have anything better to do.
    If their write ups are inaccurate (which I don't know because I no longer read it), I would be content for someone to point it out factually and for everyone to draw their own conclusions.
    I don't think the insults help with anything, except to vindicate any perception on their part that there's always disgruntled, envious people who need a scapegoat and that their success is the reason why they are being targeted.

Edited Apr 23, 2019
    sxl2004 and STANDY like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 23, 2019

14. ICONO Apr 23, 2019

Hodinkee is a business

It’s whole raison d’etre is to generate income through using, just hyperbole

In that respect.…it’s moderately successful

As a serious reference bank…it’s just amusing

Edited Apr 23, 2019
    kingsrider, sxl2004 and Archer like this.
  15. 77deluxe Apr 23, 2019

Well said.