Forums Latest Members

Time 4A Pint - London GTG - Monday, 26 June, 2017

1. tyrantlizardrex May 25, 2017

Hey Everyone,

After a hugely successful Time 4A Pint event this week, I'm excited to announce the next one, on Monday 26 June 2017.

I've talked with a lot of people about this, to gauge whether or not it was the right approach, and have decided that from here on out, there will be a £5 (plus fees) charge per person (rising to £10 plus fees per person in the week before the event), to help cover the costs of running Time 4A Pint.

I hope this does not put anyone off, and I look forward to seeing you all on the 26 June.

Cheers

Chris

Edited May 25, 2017
  2. mr_yossarian May 31, 2017

Earlybird me, looking forward to it!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 31, 2017

Hi Chris,

I'm on the other side of the world and have no hope of joining you (until June 2018 maybe) and I think your charge for entry is what I would expect here for a reserved venue if I were to attend.

Not sure about "plus fees". What are the plus fees and what do they cover?

I've been to a couple of gatherings lately (not watch related) in my home town and I've seen the price for sections of a venue, or private rooms, go from almost nothing a few years ago to increasing $$$$$ now, so I can only imagine how the pressure is in a place like London.

Keep up the good fight and keep all of our Pommie watch nuts integrating and growing.

Cheers

Jim

ahartfie likes this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex May 31, 2017

Cheers Jim!

Those are fees charged by Eventbrite (the platform I use) for transactions and payment handling (they hold the money in escrow until after the event, and insure against me stealing up to $5million and doing the off with it).

It works out to 90p - and isn't something I have any real control over (Eventbrite is one of the lower cost options when it comes to event ticking as a host/organiser).

Maybe I should have just said £5.90, but that seems like a bit of a weird number to ask... and if I'd said £5 and then people had got to the page and discovered the fees, there would have been issues I think.

No clear path through without upsetting/confusing someone either way it seems :oops:

I'm especially thankful this month for the (very) few people who felt the need to send me slightly dickish emails in response to me asking everyone who comes along to help cover the costs.

Between the podcast and the events, I'm putting 20+ hours a month into Time 4A Pint, to provide an event where 50 people get the opportunity to get together and talk watches in a safe, private location, without having to do anything more than show up, and a podcast that on average is listened to by 500 people a week.

Once you pull out all my costs (excluding my time), the "profit" to me if 50 people come along, is £50 a month

Being told that I'm "taking advantage" or "taking the piss" or "asking a bit much" or "ripping people off" by the same people who are posting pictures of their newly acquired Rolex Daytonas, their holidays to the caribbean, and in one case new 2017 Porsche 911 on Instagram, seems a bit rich.

But there you have it.

Edited May 31, 2017
  5. prontoprint May 31, 2017

So sad to hear that people have nothing better to do than complain when someone has got off their backside and actually organised something. I'm hoping at some point to make the journey from Scotland to make one of these GTG but at moment all the dates just haven't worked out yet . Keep doing your stuff Chris , your enthusiasm towards watches and people is what makes this forum a good place to visit .

6. mr_yossarian May 31, 2017

well..what the fuck. haven't we had this sort of complaints here before?? Where is the problem in understanding the necessity of a tiny amount of money to fund location, efforts etc...I really don't get it, we are talking 5 GBP and some probably the shocking additional 90p which then totally blows their budget plans, or what??

noelekal and Nathan1967 like this.
  7. Nathan1967 May 31, 2017

I'm in too, £5 is well worth it! If you hadnt proposed this charge I was going to suggest a donation towards your expenses anyway.

You're doing a great job with Time4aPint, please don't give the moaners, groaners and whingers any brain space.

All the best

Nathan

wristpirate likes this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex May 31, 2017

I don't know.

The older I get, the less I understand what motivates people to say and do some things.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next month - it's already looking like there will be a good turnout, and as always we'll have a lovely evening of watches and nonsense.

ahartfie likes this.
  9. cristos71 May 31, 2017

My advice......

10. tyrantlizardrex May 31, 2017

That I should bring back the late 90's early 00's rave scene?

I'm all for it, but I think I'd need a little more recovery time that I used to...

bags1971, nlogax and immustard like this.
  11. Nathan1967 May 31, 2017

Quality! Could be a good title for the next podcast.....your name's not down you're not coming in!

Edited May 31, 2017
  12. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs May 31, 2017

I think some people can afford daytona's and porsche 911's because they are so 'careful' shall we say with there money ;)

13. cristos71 May 31, 2017

No, but to all the complainer's," Your name's not down, you're not coming in" :)

14. Nathan1967 May 31, 2017

tyrantlizardrex said:
    That I should bring back the late 90's early 00's rave scene?

It's an idea, yes the entry fees would be higher but just look what happened to Brandon Block.

15. tyrantlizardrex May 31, 2017

Well that's disappointing. :whistling:

And based on inflation, a bottle of water would be what... £500? :taunt:

16. cristos71 May 31, 2017

Hmm, well actually yes, I'd love those days back, the best times from '88-'92 in the north of England :cool:, but I think I'd also need to be 20 again to fully enjoy everything I did back then :D

nlogax, Mods and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  17. mr_yossarian May 31, 2017

Just noticed that already 20 have signed up and payed. Chris, I wonder what keeps you from being off now to the Bahamas forever with the 100 £?! :)

18. tyrantlizardrex May 31, 2017

Mostly that I don't get the money until 5 working days after the event... if I had that £100 now I'd be at least to the end of my street by now ;)

19. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 31, 2017

I have no idea what that was but I liked it.

I'd gladly pony up $7.61 for Time 4 A Pint... And I might even have a pint! It's been too long since I've had any Guinness.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  20. Just Livin May 31, 2017

I think at the last event I shamelessly owned at least 2 drinks to people that had shouted me a round. The cover charge here is the least of my worries :)
    Have already signed up and no issues with the small fee to cover costs :thumbsup:

Nathan1967 and tyrantlizardrex like this.