Forums Latest Members
  1. t_swiss_t Aug 5, 2020

I was fortunate enough to recently purchase a 1675/3 (two-tone) GMT with a Tiffany signature from the original owner, a retired gastrointestinal surgeon from Mexico. His friend purchased the watch for him in the 1970s and wanted to make sure that he was okay with the watch having the retailer's stamp on the dial; he and I are both very glad he said yes. While he did not have the original papers, he was kind enough to write down the story of his purchase and send some documents of his past. His family is looking to find some old pictures of him wearing it back in the day, which would be nice to have as well.

C5DFDA33-A0AA-463B-A1CE-209C70C6FAB3.JPG e7afd767-135a-44be-ad8b-b22c5a696221.JPG c91294ff-bbbc-4a69-b0bc-4289148785d0.JPG

I wanted to write this post to mention that this range appears to represent a transitional period for the Tiffany signature (from my own research and in conversations with other collectors) from the prior "all caps" signature to this one with the taller T and C. It appears that the signature transitioned between the low 3m and mid 4m serial range--a number of examples with either signature can be found within that range--which corresponds to the mid-1970s. While I'm not making any firm conclusions, I would be somewhat suspect of an all caps signature in the late 70s or the tall T and C in the late 1960s. Though, as this is Rolex, I'd be happy to hear if others have different information or viewpoints. This is a newer area to me and I hope we can all learn from it.

IMG_5143.jpg

Andrew

gminnj, DaveK, OmeGez and 7 others like this.
  2. wristpirate Aug 5, 2020

An attractive watch, nice pickup. I'll wait for the Rolex fans to chime in on the details.

Out of respect to the original owner it's worth removing his ID from the post.

3. t_swiss_t Aug 5, 2020

I asked him if I could share it, it also doesn't have his name and the information on it is decades old (and no longer relevant since it's an ID for his medical profession, from which he's now retired).

wristpirate likes this.
  4. wristpirate Aug 5, 2020

That's fair.

My lockdown paranoia is creeping in.