Forums Latest Members
  1. R3D9 Apr 14, 2017

It's likely that A similar thread has been posted before, but I've been thinking about this topic quite a bit, and have been trying to formulate in my mind what my next major watch purchase will be (it's going to be a while, for the record).

A collecting roadmap is helpful and I've always found that imposing arbitrary limits to any kind of decision-making process to be of surprising value - it allows for a means to narrow one's focus and drill down to the things that are most important - most essential.

With that in mind, I've been putting time into considering what my three-watch collection might look like.

The process is, in a nutshell, if I could only own three watches, what would they be?

The key restriction of this thought experiment is that the watches must be reasonably attainable for you over a realistic period of time.

So with that said... you're 70 years old - you've been collecting and trading all your life - what three watches are sitting on your nightstand?

I'll start:

Speedmaster Professional (woo hoo! I'm 1/3 of the way there!) This watch is just so versatile that, if you like the asthetic and history, it's a no-brainer in any serious watch collection. Yes, I'll acknowledge there might be some recency bias involved here :)

IMG_0336.JPG

Rolex 1016 - again, a super-versatile watch that can be worn in almost any situation. Great history and resale value. The 1016 features, for me, the most essentially perfect dial in the history of watchmaking.

IMG_0332.JPG

F.P. Journe Chonemetre Bleu - this, for me, is the height of modern watch design. The dial is... perfection? So many delightful design elements... the many looks the dial will give you, depending upon the light... the classic Journe shrinking numerals where the subdial meets the hours track. And the movement is a work of art.

There are other Journe's that I might want as much or more if funds were unlimited, but remember that the watches must be realistically attainable.

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

There you have it. I imagine this will be an impossible task for some of you - who could you choose only three? But I'm curious to see what you all have to say!

Edited: added photos

Edited Apr 15, 2017
    cpl, Bbdiy, ffej4 and 5 others like this.
  2. BPD Apr 14, 2017

Right now, the three out of the nine that I wear that I cannot live without are these three icons.
    The Three Icons.jpg However, if I end up winning the lottery, I will replace two of them with these :thumbsup:
    373963-3745dea162621437a603d809d5d03bf8.jpg
    373964-3ba4ab17c75beacb3c4317e87e1a8a84.jpg

Jwit, nixf6, George.A and 5 others like this.
  3. semper_shells Apr 14, 2017

Now that is the Holy trinity. If you do win the lottery I call dibs on the Monaco.

Don Bocadillo and R3D9 like this.
  4. BPD Apr 14, 2017

You got it!

semper_shells likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 14, 2017

I'm going to ask you to read through the lines, or rather top to bottom. Instead of left to right. Ready?

Wittnauer
    Ulysse Nardin
    Squale

Edited Apr 14, 2017
    dougiedude, Nitzbar, lando and 8 others like this.
  6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 15, 2017

Wakmann
    U-boat
    Skagen

If I wasn't such a Speedmaster fanatic...

Nitzbar, abrod520, BPD and 2 others like this.
  7. R3D9 Apr 15, 2017

If it was even minutely possible I could ever afford one, the Daytona would be at the top of my list as well!

BPD likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 15, 2017

These three are what started it all. They shall always be Core to my collection. IMG_4574.JPG IMG_4595.JPG IMG_4723.JPG

Tritium, erok32, Jwit and 10 others like this.
  9. Morrisdog Apr 15, 2017

If this is a totally hypothetical list then these would choices:

1. Vintage Cartier Tank Cintree or Normale.. I like the Cartier look and therefore why not go back to the start. I currently have a tank Americaine which is very much based on the tank cintree but it's not quite the same.

2. Rolex GMT root beer.. just looks pretty cool to me. A 1675 Pepsi would also be an option here. I still haven't been able to decide between these two so I haven't bought any..

3. The FP Journe chronometer blue. It's the only journe watch I have held and it certainly was spectacular. I sort of wish I had just bought it then and there. The price was not bad but still way more than what I have been comfortable paying for a wrist watch.

BPD likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 15, 2017

Already have my five

( as like @Taddyangle and @oddboy I am over this constant )
    Which three
    Ultimate 3
    Special 3

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg

Jwit, Foo2rama, argonbeam and 5 others like this.
  11. Birky101 Apr 15, 2017

IMG-20170411-WA0003.jpg

BPD and SeanO like this.
  12. SeanO Apr 15, 2017

Electric Ventura

38mm Fiddy

BPD likes this.
  13. BPD Apr 15, 2017

Simple. Just don't buy a house or sell your current house and you should be good :thumbsup:

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  14. R3D9 Apr 15, 2017

My humblest apologies for dousing your corneas with such boring, unoriginal and naive photons, your grace.

I shall forever more strive to only create posts worthy of your dear and precious time.

I bid you my leave, most gracious and forgiving Sire.

IMG_0349.GIF

15. TheCaptainOfTech Apr 15, 2017

My ideal 3 would be
    Patek Nautilus with Tiffany dial
    Rolex Explorer 2
    Omega Speedmaster

16. Hijak Apr 15, 2017

Fantastic!:D:thumbsup:

Taddyangle likes this.
  17. R3D9 Apr 15, 2017

Yes, brilliant, all of you. Your collective douchery is magnificent. True gentlemen each and every one of you.

Oh... would one of you be a good sport and pass the grey poupon?

IMG_0350.GIF

18. R3D9 Apr 15, 2017

Inspired by your kind and subtle public admonishment, permit me the self indulgent act of revising my list:

Greubel forsey
    Fossil
    Yema

19. Hijak Apr 15, 2017

Then you should have done a simple search and added to that post...not polluted Omega Forums further with dribble like this. But it's clear you were too lazy to look for it!

Nitzbar likes this.
  20. R3D9 Apr 15, 2017

That may indeed be true, although truth be told I did run a number of searches, but "three watch" foolishly wasn't one of them.

But even so, if all of your intentions were to stop a new member from diluting the quality of topics on the forum, why post a bunch of mean-spirited jabs at my expense?

The forum has a PM system that allows you to connect directly and meaningfully one-on-one. You could have sent a polite message giving me a heads-up that my post is a duplicate or the question isn't appropriate for the general tone of the forum.

Instead you all chose to gang up and let everyone know what a facile twit I am.

The only reason I can come up with for your choices are that you're snobby, arrogant bitter people and somehow asserting your superiority on a web forum helps to compensate for other things in your life that are lacking.

I made a mistake posting a question that is obviously not up to this forums standards.