Three Speedmasters at Sterling Vault UK

Posts
5,370
Likes
24,518
These three Speedmasters just offered by Sterling Vault, a small but interesting UK auction house on South Coast.

There was a 2915, and Ultraman, and an "ordinary" 145.022-78.

SV dont publish results, but I watched the auction online, and it was encouraging to me that there was heavy interest in the UM and the -78.

First the 2915

This watch I think failed to sell, but 2915's are still in a bit of a no mans land, still feeling the aftershocks of the Phillips/Omega brown dialed fraud.

This is not a bad watch, the dial is correct, and the hands are good. It was without any bezel - sellers often have to decide between offering a 2915 with a repro bezel, or none at all. If I am being critical, (and as I am not a buyer at this level, I prefer not to be over harsh), then we have to ask why the lume on markers matches perfectly the lume in the hands - but this is a watch built in 1958 - It is unusual to find a 2915 with original hands. I suspect they have been adjusted. This doesn't stop me being interested. Another little quirk is the date of the extract. Pre 2011 extracts were issued often on the word of the applicant without Omega seeing it. Omega realized after 2011 that these owners requesting extracts may not have been entirely truthful, and Omega started researching the extracts more. However, in this case I see no flags on the extract.

Its really hard to know what this watch might be worth, but it got no where near the estimate. There are very few potential buyers for this at a strong price - I think that may change, but for the moment its a tough sell.

The UM did well. I saw the bid was STG 29,000 - it was unclear if that is including the premium, but i think not.

Including the premium, in USD it is around $45,000. Thats a strong price and signifies a return of interest in these rather special pieces. I did not hold this watch, but I can see from the photos its a nice watch - I think the box and the Omega leaflet need to be considered if they are original to the watch.



Finally, this -78 attracted me enough to bid - but the sale price was very strong, over 3500 STG. I got left behind.


It was a nice well presented watch.

SV is a great little auction house, and had a wide variety of watches. They do not publish resluts so this post may need some updating if someone has confirmed results.

I feel a resurgence in the Speedmaster interest.

Did anyone win one, or did anyone see these in person?
 
Posts
5,370
Likes
24,518
I saw the Wind Vintage UM. It is interesting as it really looks nice. As you say on hold
 
Posts
337
Likes
932
Always an enjoyable read, thanks William! 😊

I recently started following
Sterling Vault Auctions and they seem to have quite a lot of Omega watches. However I do remember reading a few negative reviews of SV here on the forum… even from some veteran members. Any opinions?
 
Posts
24,797
Likes
55,079
Overall, I am starting to see more consistent strong prices at auction houses that I follow online. This is just my gut feeling as I haven't been keeping records but I feel the demand for vintage watches is returning.
 
Posts
13,914
Likes
54,104
Overall, I am starting to see more consistent strong prices at auction houses that I follow online. This is just my gut feeling as I haven't been keeping records but I feel the demand for vintage watches is returning.
Now if I can only bring myself to sell.
 
Posts
294
Likes
319

Some people on this thread seemed to be against this auction house - I questioned it and didn’t really get a response. Given William’s threads tend to get more traction (understandable), have I missed something with this auction house? Their watches always seem to be photographed well with honest appraisal.