Forums Latest Members
  1. heavenscloud Oct 12, 2014

2. Rallis Oct 12, 2014

I'm no seasoned expert, (making this opinion basically mute), but something about it just looks a little off. Those hands look way over polished for its era, the spacing between the letters in Omega and Automatic looks really suspect and free handed, so I'm guessing re-dial. The crown looks like its developed an edging from being hit with a hammer, a few hundred times. The lugs look like they've been polished to an inch of their life. And whilst the case back is correct, it looks like someone went about opening it with a table knife.
    I'd avoid that thing as if it were a shopping mall during school holidays.

3. DON Oct 12, 2014

Too much damage to case and inside looks pitted around the edge.

4. Mothra Oct 12, 2014

Is that a hole in the bezel at 4:30? Also that hour marker at 7 shouldn't be offset on the dial track; the movement is filthy as well so you'd need to budget for a service.

5. DON Oct 12, 2014

Not a hole - just crud

6. heavenscloud Oct 12, 2014

Thank you, gents. I don't mind the case being scratched up and I already factored in the much-needed service. I agree with Rallis' comment about the hands and Mothra's comment about the dial (marker at 7--maybe it's just falling off?). I'm curious if the cal. 500 is the right movement for this watch.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 12, 2014

It is.

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=14720

However, whether this movement is original to this particular watch, I can't say. There are several different colors in there. Could be nothing buy poor service, or it could be built from a pile of parts. Also, I'm not crazy about that dial. Don't see Swiss Made below "6". I suspect an older redial.

Not a high value piece.
    gatorcpa

8. Rallis Oct 12, 2014

Hey Gatorcpa, as far as re-dials go, I've seen some seamasters from the period with "Swiss Made" at the 6, and then some with just "Swiss" slightly being cut off at the bottom of the dial by the case. Is there any right or wrong to this, did Omega alter texts options during various reference years, or could one just lend to evidence of a re-dial.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 12, 2014

Omega watches with 17 jewel movements were generally made for the US market. These frequently had "Swiss" on the dial, as opposed to "Swiss Made". This may mean that while the movement was made in Switzerland, some of the finishing work was done here in the US. Some brands just put Swiss on all watches regardless of market.

I believe that this became more uniform in the early 1960's, several years after this watch was made.
    gatorcpa

heavenscloud and Rallis like this.
  10. heavenscloud Oct 13, 2014

I'm going to leave this one alone. Thanks, all!

11. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 13, 2014

Yes, plenty to learn here, esp. for a newbie!

Thanks OP and other OF dudes...:D

heavenscloud likes this.
  12. heavenscloud Oct 27, 2014

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 27, 2014

First one is a nice, honest example of an early Seamaster.

Second one is very rough. It's going to take money and time to put it right.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

14. heavenscloud Nov 1, 2014

Thanks, gator!

15. ulackfocus Nov 1, 2014

I like the first one. The only thing that sticks out is the nearly worn off Ω logo on the crown, but those bowler hat shaped crowns are still around.

16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 1, 2014

The condition of the dial in the first one would bother me, around the eleven marker ???

17. heavenscloud Nov 15, 2014

18. Hijak Nov 15, 2014

Dial is a bit messy and seems fairly risky, hard to tell what you're getting into here. Guess it all comes down to where price is at the end, personally I'd pass on this one but that's just me...others will surely chime in.

heavenscloud likes this.