Forums Latest Members

Thoughts On Wakmann Venus 188 Chrono

1. watchthirst Aug 26, 2016

Purchased this on a whim from a vendor at a local church flea market for $250. Dial looked clean, lugs sharp, and it appeared to be running well so I pulled the trigger as they were closing up. I don't know much about Wakmann watches, in fact I was surprised to find the dial and caseback signed France, as I thought Wakmann was a U.S based watch company.

I'm wondering on everyone's thoughts about the originally of this watch. Does the case, movement, dial, and hands appear to be correct?

Watch has been winding and running well, but the crown is more stiff than i'm accustomed to when winding and the top chrono pusher cap cover can be unscrewed, but oddly enough still works. I'm wondering if I did well on this at $250 or did I over pay because it's a franken.

I bought this to experiment with smaller sized chronographs, as there are many that I would love to own, but have never worn anything smaller than 40mm regularly.

Hoping this is all original, what do you all think?

IMG_2652.jpg IMG_2653.jpg IMG_2654.jpg IMG_2656.jpg IMG_2657.jpg IMG_2658.jpg IMG_2659.jpg
    GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. wsfarrell Aug 26, 2016

Nice-looking watch; good price. There are a million of these 17 jewel Incablocs on eBay---usually starting at well over $500. Looks like yours might have some corrosion issues with the movement. Given that it would cost at least twice what you paid to get it overhauled, I might just wear it and have fun with it.

Foo2rama and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  3. watchthirst Aug 26, 2016

Thanks for that info :)

Would an overhaul be necessary if the watch is running well and keeping good time?

Assuming it is necessary, and I was able to overhaul it for $200, would it be worth the investment?

4. François Pépin Aug 27, 2016

Necessary, I do not know, but a good idea, certainly!

Though, I am not sure you could have a chrono serviced for 200$ - would probably be more expansive, but of course it dépends on your location, the need of parts, etc.