Forums Latest Members
  1. Lucasssssss May 20, 2018

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2018

Lower pusher? Dial looks great though.

Without a serial number...

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  3. bloomy May 20, 2018

No pictures of movement is bizarre. I think it could be a fun project or a very expensive project, depends what you are into.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2018

Auction houses rarely have movement shots.

Mark020 likes this.
  5. bloomy May 21, 2018

Perhaps but on their site it says they have never taken the caseback off so who knows what is inside.

6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan May 21, 2018

Not a lot to go on without a case back shot, (single or double step)

My guess is it could be a 145.012.
    Bit of tropical going on with the dial but does that lume look 50 years old? Bit of grime but that bezel looks like it would clean up OK. Flat link bracelet, 24 tooth crown looks nice.

A bit of a shame to offer it for sale with pushers looking like that. Come on experts wake wakey!:)

7. GuiltyBoomerang May 21, 2018

An auction house recently sent me pictures of caseback and movement of a (probably) 10.68 Longines with six notch back after I requested them. A nice touch, and wish more places would do it.

It doesn't cost them a lot, and would make auctions more clear cut, though of course then the margins would come into play...

Foo2rama and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 21, 2018

You guys.

This is a definite buy.

I would not want to kick the nest by asking for movement shots. (because if they do it for you and its good, they send to everyone, and then you have to bid against more people). A damaged movement has to be really bad before its not savable and usually the watch looks worse than this if that is the case.

This auction house specializes in privately owned items and estates - do the home work gentlemen, weigh the evidence.

Its a fabulous owned watch, and in my pre-aga buying days I would pay minimum 6k without thinking - and then maybe some.

The pusher falling off means it has not been prepared, the gunk all around also.It also means its a restoration not a service.

The one thing making me wobbly is the appearance of the lume plots and the exact matching of the hands.

There is a 10% possibility this has been relumed and dirtied up for sale but even so the parts alone here are worth my bid.

And that is all without seeing the movement, and I can now fix just about anything unless its gone Antikythera on me.

I am not a buyer so I can safely say this is a fabulous watch - FOR ME. You can say its not for you, but you will not damp my (crazy?) enthusiasm for this sort of watch.

paulwatch001, lando, bazamu and 12 others like this.
  9. Ludi May 21, 2018

Spacefruit seal of approval has been delivered :thumbsup: ... who will go for it ?

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 21, 2018

Remember just because I like it does not make it valuable - I have specific tastes, I like a watch to be as original as possible, and I do not shy away from evidence of work if done in a watch's normal life in single ownership. I do not mind deterioration, either.

I like seeing history.

Others do not. Others want as close to NOS as they can get. I do not like this as it often means parts are changed - and the watch looses some (hard to articulate) appeal.

Please buy only what YOU like. I am often called crazy with my choices, but I do not care. I am the one who looks at my collection, and as long as they give me joy, they stay.

In an auction, you need two crazy me's bidding. I am out, so maybe it will go cheap.

Kmart, Molko, bardamu and 6 others like this.
  11. Davidt May 21, 2018

I was just going to post the exact same.

This is exactly the type of watch I like to buy. Not prepped for sale, a terrible crystal hiding a good dial and layers of gunk and crap acting like a seal which suggests this watch hasn’t been tampered with in recent years (and it’s in recent years that values have shot up and people have started tampering with these watches in an effort to deceive).

Looks great to me.

Unfortunately I’m not yet back in buying mode either.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 21, 2018

ooh...maybe I'm tempted....

13. djmusicman May 21, 2018

"Caseback has not been removed due to being previously over tightened. Multiple watch technicians and collectors have tried this and have not been successful"

This happened to me with a jar of gherkins. I wonder if they've tried wrapping a rubber band around it.

Edited May 21, 2018
    kkt likes this.
  14. BatDad May 21, 2018

Looks like a single step case back to me. Hippocampus in good shape too.

15. ewand May 22, 2018

If anyone goes a-bidding on this, do remember that McTear's charges an eye-watering 32.40% inc.VAT/sales tax on top of the hammer price, on The Saleroom...

asrnj77, Mark020, Kmart and 2 others like this.
  16. simonsays May 22, 2018

I do think this is a bit of a worry. Cross threaded? Super glued? If a watch technician with a proper tool can't get in whats going on.

17. ewand May 22, 2018

Has anyone tried with a @Pahawi case back tool, though ;)

18. djmusicman May 22, 2018

£5,000! I tried to bid online but the auctioneer was really fast and my bid was too late. 30 minutes waiting around and the bidding lasted about 7 seconds!

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 22, 2018

Bargain

20. simonsays May 22, 2018