Forums Latest Members
  1. Slevin kelevra Jan 3, 2017

Hey folks,

I am still on the hunt for a cheapish dress watch and this caught my eye. I know nothing about this particular model other than I find it quite attractive.

Do the dial and hands look original ?

I notice the springbars are sticking out of the side of the case, is the case overly polished or are they just dodgy springbars?

As ever opinions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Dave.

IMG_0372.PNG IMG_0374.PNG
    Syrte likes this.
  2. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 3, 2017

Hi

Case is pretty cool I like the bevel edge on the inside of the lugs!! Dial looks ok to me... hands look nice as well... any movement shots?

How much are they asking? what is the size of the case not counting lugs or crown ?

Lots of questions...

oh spring bars should be the shouldered type ... these need to be swapped out..

simple time only , manual wind... with a 320T2 as per seller title..

Looking forward to seeing more pics,....

Good Hunting

Bill

3. Slevin kelevra Jan 3, 2017

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Description from seller -
    • 35 mm (without crown) / 41 mm (lug-to-lug) / 18 mm (between lugs)
    Price is 1250 Euros.

More pics below,

Thanks again.

IMG_0377.PNG IMG_0379.PNG IMG_0382.PNG IMG_0384.PNG
    Edited Jan 3, 2017
    Seaborg likes this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 3, 2017

Nice going, it does have case screws right??

5. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 3, 2017

no case screws... looks like the movement sits in the caseback , see the raised lip on caseback? so movement sits in it and back of dial sits on lip.

best

Bill

6. Slevin kelevra Jan 3, 2017

Worth a purchase then? Looks legit?

Cheers guys

7. DON Jan 3, 2017

To be honest. It's nice at $400 - $450, but at $1250 Euro. Your talking 18kt gold case

I would pass at that price. Do an Ebay completed auction check and see what others have sold for to compare

DON

Bumper and watchthisone2 like this.
  8. Slevin kelevra Jan 3, 2017

Ok Don, I do like it so can possibly negotiate on the price.

Thanks for the advice as I have little knowledge if what these pieces are worth.

9. heavenscloud Jan 3, 2017

Seems to be a lot of "patina" around the hands. Just make sure that isn't damage done by an incompetent watchmaker. Very annoying to have shiny gouges on an otherwise nice dial.

Like the case. :thumbsup: I wouldn't be put off by the price if you really want it. I doubt you'll find a watch with that case/dial configuration/condition anytime soon.

Regards,

Brandon

10. WatchWarlock Jan 3, 2017

Beautiful! However, as pointed out above, really think it is overpriced for what it is. Usually the jumbo versions command that range. Keep looking, do you research, and you should be able to pull the trigger on one like that for half the price.

11. Slevin kelevra Jan 4, 2017

Thanks for the replies fellas.

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 4, 2017

A lot of "patina" around the hands?
    I thought those were normal age specs, and I would have called it very light patina…?
    Just for my education, could a visual inspection tell whether they have in fact been done by an incompetent watchmaker?
    Lovely watch in any event.

Edited Jan 4, 2017
  13. heavenscloud Jan 4, 2017

A hack gouged a dial on a 30T2PC I own, and they show up as gray streaks where paint was removed and base metal exposed. These may be age marks (there are similar marks on the watch in my avatar), but that is something I would ask the seller before buying.

14. westmtn Jan 4, 2017

I saw this one. It's very nice. I don't know if I agree with the asking price but I think IF it was all original it's certainly more than a 400-500 dollar watch. They don't come around in this condition often. The crown is not original and the sub seconds hand is wrong. All things considered I think the dial is a later replacement. There was a batch of very good replacement dials for these, borderline NOS.

Here's the same dial on a couple different references.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

unnamed.jpg

15. Slevin kelevra Jan 4, 2017

Interesting comments Westmn.

In any case, I really like the way the watch looks so I have went ahead with the purchase at a price acceptable to myself and the seller. The seller seems like a really solid guy and there is an inspection period included in the sale so that helps inspire confidence for me.

Ill be sure to let you all know when the watch arrives.

Thanks to all!

Edited Jan 4, 2017
  16. westmtn Jan 4, 2017

I think it will be a lovely wearer for sure. It's similar to a 2318 and these wear larger than you would think due to the dial size. I think you could source a more appropriate seconds hand if you wanted to.

It looks to be the same case as this one which has a seconds hand like I would expect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-30T2-...912817?hash=item4b0820c631:g:XDAAAOSwOdpX1e6YPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

17. TNTwatch Jan 4, 2017

Pretty sure the mid-case is franken or custom remade. The case back has rust/pits around the edge where the mid-case has none. It's also much newer than the rest of the watch which has patina all over.

18. Slevin kelevra Jan 4, 2017

Can you give me some more information on what you mean by the "Mid Case" please. What brings you this conclusion if you dont mind me asking?

The midcase to me means the part of the case with the lugs etc, this looks pretty identical to similar watches I have seen online etc.

The case back has been polished as far as I can see but so has the rest of the watch according to the sellers description. This is fine with me.

Also the caseback doesn't look too badly pitted, if at all to my untrained eye.

19. TNTwatch Jan 4, 2017

You got it right about what I meant by mid-case. The reason for my opinion was in the earlier post. Even if if there is just a little rust on the lip of the back, there would be something similar to that on the mid-case where the back touches. Even the inside of the mid-case is spanking new, even though everything else internally including movement and inside case-back has patina and ageing signs.

Can you post pictures of those you think are similar watches?

20. Slevin kelevra Jan 4, 2017

To my eye where the caseback will touch the midcase doent look brand new to me. Unless I am misunderstanding how the caseback snaps on?

The movement looks clean but that is because it has been serviced as far as I know.

I see this watch as a similar one http://thosewatchguys.com/archive/copy-of-omega-cal-30t2-oversized

The midcase looks very similar. There seems to maybe be some type of retention ring between the movement and the case though.

IMG_0377.PNG