Thoughts on this Geneve?

I have a habit of getting carried away with purchases and then becoming paranoid I've been taken for a ride, in this case I've been watching this forum since I purchased this back in sept, looking for something similar but realising that every watch seems to have variances and finally decided to take the plunge and ask.

Suspicions around:
1. The painted/printed logo but then I see plenty of others, even ones recommended here after reading 'if its not embossed/raised its fake'
2. The polished nature... I'm guessing it has been polished at very least.. guess that happens.

The face has a slightly tinted/yellow finish as can be seen, not sure how close to original that would be.

Heres the twist though... it was sold as not working, but was working fine when it arrived but since stopped again. Will be getting it serviced if its legit.

Please put me out of my misery ;p

Geeetings. Your watch is a 165.041 and the dial looks original. Google the reference number and you’ll see examples that look very much like yours. There seems to be considerable lume loss in the minutes hand and the case, as you mention, is polished. An untouched case will have brushing on the top and quite sharp edges. Hope that helps

Many thanks, yes there is no lume at all, and being maybe naive thought that was normal. I'll need to get on with the servicing then. I don't mind the polished finish, sure it's not original but I liked it enough to purchase in the first place.

Hello Grog, and welcome to the forum!

Beautiful piece, I especially like that case shape.

The painted/printed logo but then I see plenty of others, even ones recommended here

I recently sold a Geneve with a raised logo, serial in the 30M range, approx 1969~1970. Lovely little piece, (I need to stop wondering whether I should have kept it.)

img_20211121_121052-2-jpg.1322431

Another forum member, @Toishome , recently sold a Geneve with a painted/printed logo, serial number in the 32M range, approx 1970. Also beautiful, with a design leaning more toward the '70s than '60s. Picture below is theirs:
img_0377-jpg.1309910

Interestingly, your watch has a dial similar to the second one, but hands like the first.

And the case is different to both, ie the shape of the lugs. I do wonder what it was like before the polished it i.e. condition not the finish itself.

And the case is different to both, ie the shape of the lugs. I do wonder what it was like before the polished it i.e. condition not the finish itself.

Yours is 165.041, the ones I posted are 135.070.

Site search is your friend, search Geneve, restrict to Titles Only, and select only the Private Watch Sales forum.

Here's an unpolished 136.041 @flqt-9000 sold recently. Same case as yours, manual movement, with date. Pics are theirs:
dsc_5013-png.1259001
dsc_5020-png.1259007

The 041s, which these are generally referred to (note that the last 3 digits refer to the case itself), have a ton of fun variations (the OPs and the one above included). This is one from my collection and you can see the brushing on the case quite clearly:
74ED93BD-FD1A-4959-9388-A47D0DDDDF39.jpeg
Edited:

The hands may have been replaced. I would have expected some black inlay to match the markers. Also, the hour and minute hand appear to have different shapes (one is straight and flat and one is tapered with a central ridge).

My thoughts are that this is not the best example for reasons others have pointed out. If you can recoop most of your costs by selling it on eBay, I would. Then watch this thread for tips from @dsio. He regularly recommends nice entry level Omegas in honest condition.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-watches-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/

I have no desire to recoop as you put it, its as you say no the best example, but its a start. It will go in for a service if i can find someone nearby (Sydney, Aus) and ask if they can maybe sort the lume.

Service hands are available, but will not match the tritium on the dial. Not a massive deal on a watch you are fixing up.

Some watchmakers can reapply the case brushing. They need a special lapping wheel to do so, not all places have one.

A previous owner had applied lume to the ends of the hands. A man on a galloping horse wouldn’t have noticed but it niggled and when I put the watch in for service I also got the hands cleaned/restored.

Almost too nice to wear now - 😀

AD49B959-407E-4384-A67D-B912D1EF026C.jpeg A5000D35-15E0-465D-8130-91BDF337A664.jpeg

A previous owner had applied lume to the ends of the hands.

Not even sure what that means, like a blob at the end?

At least it wasn't redialled as a 'Sealmaster' 😀

What model is that? it sure is purdy.

Hello from my Geneve. It is 18k and I belive it to be mid 60s? IMG_20211203_125106 (2).jpg

Not even sure what that means, like a blob at the end?

At least it wasn't redialled as a 'Sealmaster' 😀

What model is that? it sure is purdy.
Thanks, it’s a 165.003 with a 552 movement like your Genève.

If you look at the first photo, the ends of the hands have a smudgy greenish covering which is no longer there in the crispy second photo.

Thanks, it’s a 165.003 with a 552 movement like your Genève.

If you look at the first photo, the ends of the hands have a smudgy greenish covering which is no longer there in the crispy second photo.
Hmm yes, if i zoom in it looks like a 5 year old was employed to touch them up.

Everything else was fine - for a 50+ year old watch - but the issue with the hands nagged.