Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this Ebay transaction - suspicious???

1. duffy7 Jan 31, 2021

Hi OF,

I would like to hear your thoughts on an ebay transaction.

It's about an Omegas Seamaster Chrono 145.005 which was for sale on Ebay. I won the auction which ended yesterday in the evening.

I already had doubts before bidding as I asked the seller to send me a foto of the watch timed to a special time of day but I didn`t receive an answer. This was a red flag to me but seconds before the auction ended I decided to make a bid.

After winning the auction I received a mail from the seller with his bank details and the information that the earlier I will transfer the money the earlier the watch will be with me. I replied that I will transfer the money when he will send me a foto of the watch timed to a special time of day. Since this time I haven`t heard anything from the seller.

The seller is from Spain and accepts only bank transfer.

There were also 6 other watches sold from the seller at the same time.
    What is very suspicous to me is that he didn`t sell watches in the past and the last thing he sold on Ebay was more than a year ago and all of a sudden he is the seller of 7 high valueable watches.

I don`t know why I made this bid as I already saw this red flags before (beside this I am aware that the watch has some issues but these wouldn`t be hard to fix)

For me it is the first time that I come up with things like this so I would like to hear your thoughts. Many thanks
    Duffy

Vintage 1967 Omega Seamaster Deville Cal 321 Ref 145.005 | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Here are the other auctions of the seller:
    Vintage Omega Flightmaster, ref 145.026 calibre 911 c197172 | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    RARE VINTAGE HEUER AUTAVIA GMT AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH WATCH WITH MK1 DIAL | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Rare Vintage 1960s Baylor Heuer Camaro Valjoux 72 Chronograph Exotic Dial | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Breitling Navitimer World 46mm | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Large 14K Gold MINUTE REPEATER Hunter Pocket Watch by Audemars Freres c1910 | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Superb 18c London Verge Double Fusee Bracket Clock C1770 | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

s-l1600.jpg
    Edited Jan 31, 2021
  2. Petervl Jan 31, 2021

I would stay away from this seller!

3. Jonathan40 Jan 31, 2021

Request the transaction be cancelled. You’ll be waiting for your money but if he agrees you should get it.
    Don’t forget you will pay import duty plus VAT on that item into the UK if the sale does proceed.

4. inchpincher Has your missing inches Jan 31, 2021

I’d walk away, there appears to be no consistency to the various auctions photos which for me is alarm bells, much more likely that the pictures have been stolen from other people. Not to mention doing an international deal with an unknown person without the protection of PayPal...

apsm100 and mr_yossarian like this.
  5. Davidt Jan 31, 2021

I wouldn't pay via bank transfer on eBay.

But, knowing this I also wouldn't bid. The seller may be completely legitimate and if so, you've messed them around when you knew before the auction ended they only accepted bank transfer

connieseamaster likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2021

Definitely don’t send money by bank transfer and report it to eBay, I’d also start doing a reverse image search on all of his watch photos to see if they’re lifted from elsewhere

7. bdp Jan 31, 2021

Always buy the seller before the watch.
    Never pay by bank transfer on ebay, you have NO protection.
    Cancel the deal.

Omegafanman likes this.
  8. duffy7 Jan 31, 2021

I didn`t transfer money by now and I won`t do this until the seller proofs that he is in possession of the watch

9. duffy7 Jan 31, 2021

Auctions fotos differ and also the style of the description is completly different

10. duffy7 Jan 31, 2021

Yeah you are right - it wasn`t a clever decission to bid after already seeing all those red flags but if I were the seller it wouldn`t be a problem for me to send the buyer a foto of the watch especially if payment is only via bank transfer.

11. duffy7 Jan 31, 2021

May I ask you which site you use for the reverse image search?

12. Jonathan40 Jan 31, 2021

Walk away

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2021

Just google images you can drag photos into it

connieseamaster likes this.
  14. Omegafanman Jan 31, 2021

Do not proceed - stop transaction - details to follow

15. Omegafanman Jan 31, 2021

If the seller is from Spain why is all their buyer / seller feedback in English and why did they sell fence panels, upvc door and a water tank in the UK - Maybe they were getting in ahead of Brexit. The reverse image search I did was negative but too many red flags here - which combined with a bank transfer only deal would make me nervous... and life it too short to waste time being nervous when you don't need to be...
    Buy the seller as someone said above...

Seller info.jpg Buyer feedback.jpg buyer.jpg
    Edited Jan 31, 2021
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 31, 2021

PayPal with credit card or no sale on eBay.

That’s my rule.
    gatorcpa

Vitezi, apsm100, Lucasssssss and 4 others like this.
  17. duffy7 Jan 31, 2021

As I didn`t hear anything from the seller I reported it to Ebay.

I would like to say thanks to all of you for your thoughts and I have definitely learned out of this.
    Cheers Duffy

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  18. Ness Jan 31, 2021

Let's us know what Ebay's position will be.

I was involved in a case that the a legitimate account Ebay was hacked. An "user" with perfect feedback bought my watch. claimed to have paid for it, and was pressuring me to post it. I got suspicious and did not post the watch. Ebay warned me only days later that that account had been hacked.

19. duffy7 Jan 31, 2021

Yeah I will keep you informed.

Probably this might go the same way. Hopefully no one of the others transferred money for the watches.

20. Dan S Jan 31, 2021

Likely a hacked account.