Forums Latest Members
  1. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Oct 15, 2015

Hey gang,

Hoping to get your thoughts on this Connie. The seller notes it as a circa 1958, cal 505 Omega Constellation Pie Pan Automatic Chronometer in stainless steel with a case diameter of 35mm. The watch also comes with the original box.

It appears in okay condition with an even patina on the dial. I have requested further photos to which I got the below in the response but the seller did not send a photo of the movement or case back. The seller wants approximately $880.

Am I correct in stating that it has been polished? The case looks super clean. Besides some wear on the medallion, the case back looks almost too clean.

Any thoughts on the watch or advice on whether to pull the trigger or not? Seller's pictures:
    IMG_8645.JPG IMG_8646.JPG IMG_8647.JPG

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 15, 2015

Here's a critique, without having seen the movement:

1. You are correct that the case has been polished. Would be better if it were not, but 99% of watches of this age will have been polished to some degree.
    2. Slight, but not excessive wear on the medallion.
    3. Dial and crown look original to me, or at least OEM replacement (crown).
    4. Buckle looks to be a proper Omega, but just not the right one for this watch. This is 1970's type. I'd need to see engraving on underside to have an idea if it was a replica or not..
    5. Band is not Omega IMO. But you're really not paying for that.

Overall, I think the price is fair (assuming there is no problems with the movement) given that the box is the correct one for this model. If you get the box insert and the leather pad that came with it, even better.
    gatorcpa

gregger77, Geo!, ChrisN and 2 others like this.
  3. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Oct 16, 2015

Comprehensive critique/advice. Thank you so much gator!

Apparently watch was serviced a few months ago by a reputable local watchmaker. There is no way to confirm this without seeing a receipt though. The watch was the seller's father's watch (good sign but also a bit of a cliché from what I have learnt so far). I have negotiated the watch down to $780 which wasn't too difficult.

Hopefully I can Skype with the seller to see the package before making the purchase. Holding thumbs.

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 16, 2015

The dial is a little patinated (is that a word? )
    As long as you don't mind that - if the watch has had a proper service you have a lovely Connie with a box and papers for a nett $480 that seems,like a good deal to me
    Congrats on a great find

5. cristos71 Oct 16, 2015

I think the patinated dial is on the right side of charming and acceptable and the case looks in decent shape too. If I were you I'd take it at $780 which represents pretty good value for a steel pie pan 2852.

6. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Oct 16, 2015

Thank you gents. Seems like the seller has accepted my offer now and I will hopefully seal the deal at the beginning of next week. Thank you for the advice and time spent reading and commenting.

7. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Oct 16, 2015

Case is polished, but imo not to death.

Dial is indeed charming.

$780, especially with the box, is a very nice deal. Can I have the box? :)

8. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Oct 16, 2015

Hmmmm let me think... Think I might just keep this set together for now (once I actually get my hands on it). If I do decide to get rid of just the box then I'll get hold of you:thumbsup:

9. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Oct 16, 2015

You da man!

10. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Oct 20, 2015

Deal sealed. Seller will courier the watch to me tomorrow. Hopefully it will be in my hands before the week is out. Thank you all for the advice and comments!

On a side note... I skyped with the seller to see the watch and then asked what else he has. He says he's got an old Tudor that he has to show me. Seconds later he pulls out what looks like a brand-new-looking Tudor Oyster-Prince with box and outer box. Notes he'd be willing to sell it and gives me a price. I'd obviously like to get the Connie in hand first but looks like I may just buy the Tudor also (obviously after getting the forums input of course). Do the forum rules state that I have to start a new post for the Tudor pics and comments?

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 20, 2015

Probably would be better. Set it up under the Rolex or Other Watch Forums.

You'll get a more diverse audience. I know zero about Tudors.
    gatorcpa

12. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Oct 20, 2015

Thanks gatorpa,

Don't wanna get too ahead of myself. I'll get my hands on the Connie before progressing to the next one. Not a Tudor guy myself (besides loving the new Black Bay Black), but this one was just so pretty I gotta get the forums feeling on it before turning it down.
    My wife is going to kill me

13. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Oct 26, 2015

Hi guys! The connie arrived on Friday afternoon and I am very happy (probably because its my first connie). I will try and take some nice pictures of it and also get the back open to confirm its all kosher. Till then, here is a cool picture my wife took while I was admiring this beauty...
    IMG_8733.JPG

14. docjamal Dec 2, 2015

Nice pic vandamme

15. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Dec 2, 2015

Thanks Doc!;)

16. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jan 23, 2016

Hi gents, I said I would take some pictures of this but just haven't had time to do it. Anyway, now I do. Enjoy the pictures...

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7808.JPG

IMG_7817.JPG
    IMG_7823.JPG

IMG_7830.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG

IMG_7797.JPG

IMG_7795.JPG

@gatorcpa you said you need a shot of the back of the buckle to confirm whether its legit or not. I hope the picture is legible enough. Please have a look.
    The dial has such a creamy look from one angle but from the other it has a mirror like effect. What are these dials made of? It almost seems to me that it's silver or silver plated. Is there anyway to know if the dagger indices are gold or just plain steel?

I still haven't had a chance to get the back open. I'm hunting for an affordable snap back case opener and will then give it a go. For now, whatever is inside is keeping great time.

17. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 23, 2016

What camera are you using? Try taking photos through your loupe or, if you are using a phone, get an ollo clip to take close up/macros photos

18. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jan 23, 2016

Photos not to your liking?

I'm using a Canon 6D albeit with the incorrect lens. All the pictures were taken handheld, hence a bit of shake, as well as cropped. Would be nice to have a macro lens or and olloclip but don't have one at the moment. I have a few loupes but thought these pics would do.

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 23, 2016

Buckle is a correct Omega, but from the 1970's.

Still looks nice with this watch.
    gatorcpa