Forums Latest Members
  1. aljaberh Feb 7, 2017

well, i have been into watches for quite long time, i have been into modern and sport watches mainly until the vintage bug started catching me

i own few vintage pieces, nothing very special or rare but they are indeed special to me

one of my latest acquisitions was this CK2367 from 1944 which i am very happy about

my only concern is the dial, i am not an expert at all, and i would like to ask you guys to give me thoughts on this dial whether its been redialed/refinished or not

will be very interested to learn from you all and if you have any other thoughts/concerns about this watch i will be happy to know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks

2. micampe Feb 7, 2017

Hello and welcome to OF. The print quality seems nice, but I believe these dials usually have a brushed silver ring where the numerals are applied. The markers are also not very well aligned. The hands are not the ones usually seen in this reference. Do you have a picture of the movement?

sxl2004 and Jwit like this.
  3. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Feb 7, 2017

Cross is missing

4. aljaberh Feb 7, 2017

hi, thank you for the information, here are two pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 7, 2017

Looks like a refinish but done decently. It's missing the subtle accent over the E in Chronometre. It should also have leaf hands.

Temprus, Dr No and Bill Sohne like this.
  6. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 7, 2017

+1 for the misaligned markers.
    Also it looks like the paint is creeping up the edge of them.
    Some of the minute hash marks look to be a little inconsistent as well.(between 2:00-5:00 mostly)

If the markers were aligned properly I personally wouldn't notice any other issues without a loupe. Nice looking piece even though it may be a redial.

-Jake

7. Buck2466 Feb 7, 2017

The 4 and 6 markers are mis aligned.

8. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Feb 7, 2017

This also happens on aged original dials with this type of markers. This is Stern Freres dial.

9. aljaberh Feb 7, 2017

10. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Feb 8, 2017

11. aljaberh Feb 8, 2017

thats very interesting to see! well i had a quick look only and the hands seems to be incorrect too, will go through this in details

12. mac_omega Feb 8, 2017

@aljaberh Are you able to take off the bezel and take a perfect clear macro shot?

Maybe take 2, one straight on and one slightly from an angle... I would like to see if there is any "structure" like fine vertical brushing or similar.

I do not dare to make a final judgement based upon the only photos you shared - as some "experts" did.

I am always amazed (or should I say a bit disturbed) about some of the members here and there immediate shout "redialed" even when they just joined OF or haven´t got any clue about what they were commenting. And it is not the first time they might have been proven wrong...

What I can tell with certainty:

1) hands are wrong, there should be leaf hands matching this style of dial

2) crown is a replacement (which is common on watches more than 70 years old)

3) second hand seems a bit too short

Edited Feb 8, 2017
  13. aljaberh Feb 8, 2017

few more pics

not the best close ups, but the best i currently have

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. aljaberh Feb 8, 2017

just to add more information, few pictures of the same reference of the watch (CK2367) with variations of dials and hands. from the book "Omega Watches" by John Goldberger

IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1442.JPG

15. mac_omega Feb 8, 2017

Don´t rely on Goldberger´s images - 2 out of the 3 are not original dials! Guess which?

As long as you do not present a photo with the bezel taken off I will not be able to make a final judgement - so please try hard.

If you are not able to do it yourelf ask a watchmaker to remove the bezel.

hoipolloi likes this.
  16. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2017

Hi

i would assume the dial is refinished.. but it is a nice dial in any case.

I am more concerned about the movement , looks like the center wheel is replaced with a non Rg part... and if that is the case someone was really inside this watch.

Bill

cicindela likes this.
  17. yala Feb 8, 2017

Supposedly a very good way to check for originality of the dials of pre 1950's dials is the following (according to a very trusted collector): look at the three "s" in "swiss" or "swiss made". if they are similar, it is more than likely that you are looking at a redial. if you see variations, it's good. and that is because the "s" is very difficult to print similarly, and in the 1930's/40's, printing just wasn't there, yet. Don't know if this is true, but it does sound reasonable to me.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2017

Except most of these Rg Chronometres did not have Swiss or Swiss made.

Johnnied and hoipolloi like this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2017

I am going with a high quality refinish based on the watch wear and movement issues combined with dial inconsistencies, 1944 with Swiss Made, no accent, style of dial, markers. No assurances either way without better pictures or watch in hand. Nice looking watch none the less.

Here is a similar refinished dial.
    30T2SCRg  redial, 0.jpg

Franco's pages on 30mm RG Chronometre's should be required reading for anyone collecting these.
    https://squeletteblog.wordpress.com/

20. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 8, 2017