Forums Latest Members
  1. Shem Dec 20, 2013

I've been looking for an Omega dress watch, the older the better, in virtually perfect condition with all original parts -- a tall order, I know. I seem to have found a candidate, and while I would strongly prefer stainless over yellow gold, the combination of condition and age of this one seem fantastic...provided it's all original as the seller claims. Any thoughts from the experts? I'm new to vintage Omegas, particularly ones of this age.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUNNING-19...INTAGE-ANTIQUE-MENS-GENTS-WATCH-/251405680201Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 20, 2013

Franken. I would not pay GBP10 for it.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 20, 2013

I disagree. I think the watch is original and has been nicely restored. Movement looks to have been well maintained.

The dial is porcelain. These can be refurbished and any hairline cracks filled in by an expert. When done properly the original printing is not disturbed. I would not classify it as a redial.

Movement is from early 1930's and is consistent with the dial type and the hands.

Only issue I have is the price. Over $1K for a gold plated Omega?

I think not.
    gatorcpa

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 20, 2013

The case has likely been re-plated, but I think the movement/dial are original to the case.

More like a $400-$500 watch.

5. Habitant Dec 20, 2013

But surely the central issue is the seller's statement that it is 'All original!' Sorry, but I have a really hard time believing that statement; that being said, it does look as though good work has been done on it. But all original doesn't mean re-plating, re-dialing, does it? For these reasons, I think it's over-priced.

6. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 20, 2013

Can't see the value in it.
    Overrestored at best. As a first vintage I would stay clear.

7. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Dec 20, 2013

I am pretty convinced that it is not a franken, but even at 400, I wouldn't follow. Not a rare caliber, plated very small case, for the afficionado only!

8. mac_omega Dec 21, 2013

As a collector of "early vintage" I do not understand the many suspicious comments - for me it looks like a very well preserved (and most probably polished) example with perfect dial and movement. They do exist - as they were out of fashion for quite a while - many of them sat in a drawer waiting for revival...
    If the case has been replated or not can´t be told by the pictures - it could be also good polish... This can only be answered by the seller...
    It is the question if you want a watch this age to look like fresh from the factory or if you want it to show it´s age with superficial scratches...
    Most of us collectors here would like to see some mild use marks and not a "oh shiny" example I guess.
    What I wanted to say: it is not impossible that this is a totally original piece.
    The "heavy" point on this is the high price - would be legit for a solid gold piece but not for a goldfilled/plated example.

9. Shem Dec 21, 2013

Thanks everyone for your input. I suspected the price was absurd, but I didn't know that a more appropriate price should be as low as sub-$400. The seller is very friendly and forthcoming with answers to questions, but I don't think he'd sell for that little. Since I'm more of a modern watch guy, I am indeed seeking a piece that is as nicely restored as possible (provided it's all original). Perhaps I should look for other examples with the porcelain dial as it seems to age gracefully.

10. Habitant Dec 23, 2013

I would say that folk here have learned to be skeptical.

For my side, the exact colour of the plating looks very familiar to me; now it might just be the photography, but I've had a few cases plated by this one particular company in the same region as the seller and the eBay listing's case is the exact colour their gold comes out - a bit red, to my eye. In my own experience, Omega's plating is more pale, more toward yellow gold than red. But that's just me being suspicious, and no more. Perhaps it's vintage, perhaps; I apologise to the vendor if so. But it just doesn't look right to me, sorry. And for the crown to have no visible wear on it...hmmm.

11. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 24, 2013

Way too much.... 400 bucks if you like it, but there's better out there.

I'd rather see a bit of wear and feel like I'm getting original.