Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on speedmaster reduced vs FOIS and other speedmasters

1. Sidnos Aug 17, 2019

hi all,

Again apologies if posting this in the wrong place and feel free to move etc if so...I’m still learning the protocol of OF!

I’m looking at getting a speedmaster 3510 “reduced” and being inexperienced in Speedmasters thought I’d put these out there on OF for a more considered/expert eye to opine on!

Sadly, despite lurking here for a looooong time I’m a relatively new member and not vocal enough to post in the wtb section anyway!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/143354468416

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/143344300517

Again, apologies if this is the incorrect place, there’s so many forums here that I get a little lost!

Thanks for your help,

James

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 17, 2019

One place to start is to do a site search for speedmaster reduced in the vintage forum. Also, please post photos so they’re available after the eBay links are dead.

Edited Aug 18, 2019
    KingCrouchy and Sidnos like this.
  3. apsm100 applysome! Aug 17, 2019

B5883010-948D-4907-90FC-82A76A70C560.jpeg
    Sidnos likes this.
  4. Sidnos Aug 17, 2019

Thank you both.

@apsm100, forgive me but is there any way of knowing whether it has been serviced correctly?

@efauser apologies, but the vintage form?
    I’ll try post pics but not the best at tech stuff I’m using my phone and struggling to post pics without taking screen shots which are rubbish quality!
    Not being difficult but if the ebay link is dead it’s a moot option no? or is it just to be useful for future reference for people in the same boat as me?

The watch in second link I posted has already gone so maybe was a “decent one” as it had many days left on the listing!

Thanks again both!

James

apsm100 likes this.
  5. Sidnos Aug 17, 2019

@apsm100 sorry, I was sure you said if it’s been correctly serviced....Ignore my above comment!

apsm100 likes this.
  6. MRC Aug 17, 2019

An invoice and then search on the reputation of the watchmaker.

Well, the Reduced can't really be considered modern.

Exactly!

The first was well overpriced, the second worth consideration.

Sidnos likes this.
  7. Sidnos Aug 17, 2019

Thanks chaps and good advice, keeping my eye on the auction piece

apsm100 likes this.
  8. Sidnos Aug 17, 2019

May I also ask... what would be your advice regarding pricing?
    I’m happy to pay for the “right” watch, condition and originality are the main attributes I’m concerned with, but has anyone an idea of a price range that is fair for a good example?
    Clearly servicing is a separate expense...

9. apsm100 applysome! Aug 17, 2019

Considering that I sold my 95’ Speedy reduced (the auction example is actually only a few months older) last week for $1800CAD in slightly worse condition (see photo) as the auction piece I wouldn’t feel bad paying around $2000CAD for that one! Factor in 650 for a service— but honestly it may do without one immediately.
    Just my opinion however.

FE7FBC4A-6440-4287-AB2E-C4E7449D08A8.jpeg
    Sidnos likes this.
  10. Sidnos Aug 17, 2019

Great thanks!
    Really appreciate the response/s

That’s along the lines I was thinking... GBP equivalent is about £1250 (at the moment but the way GBP going that could soon change!!!!)

apsm100 likes this.
  11. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 17, 2019

the reduced is awesome looking. i was going to buy one, and still want one, but i just did not want to be saddled with a 8-1k service bill that they require.

closer from japan usually has them for under 15 hundo usd

Sidnos likes this.
  12. Sidnos Aug 17, 2019

Thanks, yep understood re the service cost... but you only live once hey?!

May I ask who/what is closer?

Only issue with Japan is the tax the uk government hit you with upon import, so just have to factor that in I guess.

I’ve heard mixed reports from Japanese sellers, saying that the one I’m watch on eBay is from Romania. Being inexperienced in this model I’m (at least attempting to be) highly cautious of making a mistake... only as I’ve made so many before!

Edited Aug 17, 2019
  13. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 17, 2019

closer, elady,..

their prices are usually the lowest.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polished-O...896&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Sidnos likes this.
  14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 17, 2019

if you're looking at elady, buy from her website, it's 10% cheaper than eBay.

tikkathree and Sidnos like this.
  15. MRC Aug 17, 2019

That is what I paid for mine and I could not find a mark on it! Wearing it regularly has put some marks on, mainly the bracelet, but within the easy Brasso (TM) polish-out range. To pay over a grand GBP I think it needs to be pretty good, or have had a very reputable service in the past couple of years.

Remember the Reduced is the runt of the Speedy litter, those who like them tend to get short shrift from the "full-size" Speedy owners. They are not going to be dragged up in value on the coat-tails of the DON world. You have to like them for what they are and accept that the Moonies are going to point at your watch and laugh. To the (first-) world at large which regards any watch that costs more than GBP 20 new and doesn't have a battery it's definitely still exotic and expensive.

Sidnos likes this.
  16. Sidnos Aug 18, 2019

Great advice and useful tips! So glad I took the plunge and became a member.

And yes, I understand some look down on the reduced but personally I find the smaller size attractive (I also wear a Seiko 2625 which is considered a ladies diver along with other 30mm vintage watches, so as they say.... size really doesn’t matter... well....to me anyway....my girlfriend may have a different view ).

I gave up worrying about other people’s opinions some time ago! One of the few benefits of age it seems.

These days I’m proud to say I like “old man” watches (as my girlfriend calls them!) look after my bonsai, potter about in the garden and also collect handmade knives!

My days of nightclubs and raves are done

I’m in no rush so will wait for the right one.

If anyone is still reading this.... is it acceptable to post others examples you find (eBay etc) for opinions or does that just become a bore for the members and considered bad form?

Thanks

James

TheDuke1979 likes this.
  17. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 18, 2019

Just remember that some of the scorn for the Reduced is for the relative complexity, unreliability and service complications next to other integrated designs, it’s not all snobbery. Well some is just snobbery but some is down to the fact that many eBay £1K watches need an immediate ~£450 to £600 service meaning they aren’t as cheap as they look. This goes for many other watches on there too, but many others are cheaper and easier to service. Servicing is of course less of a proportional issue on a £2k watch than one like the Reduced which until recently fetched £750 as the service costs are the same or lower on the Pro and there is much more choice on who to use.

Edited Aug 18, 2019
    S.H. and Sidnos like this.
  18. Sidnos Aug 18, 2019

Thanks, a great point and certainly food for thought!

It appears there is more to this model than it seems.

Price is not THE factor in my decision making, so if a GBP 2k plus watch is significantly less complex and more reliable then head takes over heart (another example of age related benefits!).

That being said the reduced attracts me due to the smaller proportions, I’m personally not into large watches (clearly that is an aesthetically motivated view) and so always open to hear of options of a similar design that forum members may feel have other and more appropriate attributes.

All of these replies are gold and sage advice so I genuinely appreciate the time taken by others to share!

James

Edited Aug 18, 2019
  19. OHS Aug 18, 2019

Hi James,

I'm also not a fan of big watches and spent a while pondering the reduced but in the end the odd spacing of the sub dials put me off - one of those things that once you've noticed you just can't unsee!

Initially the price also pulled me in as they are considerably cheaper than other Speedmasters - but as everyone's said above: if you're unlucky and get one with issues it could be a real pain.

Anyway, after trying on a few different versions I've just picked up a First Omega In Space (FOIS)... They are more bucks than a reduced and in reality only a tiny fraction smaller than the professional but it just feels and looks smaller on the wrist... Well worth a look!

Sidnos likes this.
  20. Sidnos Aug 18, 2019

Thanks OHS,

I’ll definitely take a look, I’m considering attending a local event (Time 4a pint) on Tuesday evening where, hopefully, there may be a few speedmasters so I can see how “big” the fois and professional actually are on me.

As usual with this hobby always soooooo much to consider but that’s a large part of the charm (maybe that’s just me that finds that side of it charming - sometimes wish I didn’t have an enquiring mind and could be happily naive!)

James

OHS likes this.