Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on speedmaster professional brown dial

1. nonono Jul 30, 2018

Hiya folks, so I'm considering purchasing the omega speedmaster in the brown dial-031132423013001. Absolutely in love with the movement, I believe it's a cal 1861. Found a full set which comes with the bracelet and the strap at a pretty decent price imo. Was wondering if any owner would like to share his/her experience with it? Is it one of those speedys that would perhaps increase in value over time? What would be an appropriate price on a piece like that?
    I've attached some pix of the model in question, not actual pics of the watch itself; Those will follow if or when the deal goes thru. Looking forward to hearing from you :)

_20180731_020456.JPG _20180731_020514.JPG _20180731_020435.JPG
  2. gdupree Jul 30, 2018

Our experiences with it will be the same as any other speedmaster, as the brown dial is just a matter of preference. I believe the concensus experience with speedmasters is pretty obviously good.

No, in my opinion. The brown dial is a novelty meant to recreate the attractive phenomena occurring in select vintage speedmasters. Reproductions won't be what people want in the future. But really, you should buy a watch because you like it, not because it will increase in value.

Whatever price represents the best relationship between the effort you want to apply in finding it, and the money you want to spend.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 30, 2018

I highly suggest trying to see one in person. They are a bit darker then that picture suggests.

They are also a bit cold... real tropicals have a warmth to them.

jB1128, Amaza, nonuffinkbloke and 3 others like this.
  4. WatchWalker Jul 30, 2018

Never seen one for real but this version is certainly one I would seriously consider. Investment value or not, you will not really lose money either so if you like it, go for it! Or send me the link of the one you have in mind and I might have a throw at it... :whistling:

nonono likes this.
  5. nonono Jul 30, 2018

Yes. I saw it in person and have to concur that the dial is definately darker live. Haven't seen a tropical dial in person to make the comparison though.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. nonono Jul 30, 2018

I will be making up my mind in the next couple of days. Will definately send u the link if I pass on it that is ;)

7. What_Goat? Jul 30, 2018

General advice here on OF is to never buy an Omega (or any other commodity) thinking its value will stay same or even increase. With that in mind, if that statement were ever false, it would be applicable to the Speedy Moonwatch, ref. 105.012 or 145.012 that were used for the Apollo missions.

Just buy it because you like it and wear it in good health!

8. WatchVaultNYC Jul 30, 2018

I think its a pretty cool alternative to the standard moonwatch. Never a guarantee that they will appreciate better or hold value vs normal moonwatches, but a short production period and relatively few numbers is normally not a bad thing

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. nonono Jul 30, 2018

Thanks a million for the help! Really appreciate it. I think I might have accidentally given the impression that resale is priority. That would be untrue though. I would break it down this way. I'm considering it 70% because I like the brown dial and am totally bewitched by the beautiful movement. 20% because of the price that it's being offered to me for. And I'd say 10% on the hopes of a decent resale in the event of an updrade. I guess in seeking your opinions, I was trying to justify those percentages to myself

10. ck77 Jul 30, 2018

it is a 1863

fskywalker likes this.
  11. 77deluxe Jul 30, 2018

+1 like

Threemann likes this.
  12. shoota70 Jul 31, 2018

I’ve owned and sold 2. Love that speedy - one of my favs. You won’t be disappointed. Dial color is outstanding in person and presents itself differently in all different lights. Sapphire/Sapphire is also a plus imo.

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 31, 2018

Thumbs down form me I am afraid. The combo of faux degraded dial paint and perfect white lume doesn’t please my eye. That said, WVNYC probably has the best take in that being relatively rare and unusual this model may, may only, gain some market traction eventually. Picking modern watches which will hold value is notoriously tricky though. Then again it may turn out more like the so called ‘Replica’ model and wallow in obscurity. The sapphire crystal while very practical is also a barrier to price appreciation in Speedy circles. Collectors like Hesalite it seems.

eugeneandresson and kov like this.
  14. Mateustosatti Jul 31, 2018

This is a very beautiful speedmaster. In the metal the brown dial is much darker actually, and it changes depending on the light, which is nice. The 1863 movement is nicely decorated as shown on the sapphire caseback.

Here is mine.
    yQQ0P1vcQtOXeYucJH1Ulw.jpg fullsizeoutput_7e.jpeg IMG_4491-4.jpg XMW+Nj4qQN6Kju+GBv8bDg.jpg

vlaspri and ReturnOfUltraman like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2018

Interesting that some choose to see these colour variations as "faux-whatever" instead of just a colour. To me it's just a brown dialed Speedmaster. I've not seen one in person, so I can't say if I'd like it or not. I expect I'll eventually get one in for service, and then I'll be able to say if I like it.

16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jul 31, 2018

dubois and eugeneandresson like this.
  17. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 31, 2018

So you think that it is just a colour choice and bears no connection to the heightened value of supposed 'tropical' or otherwise brown dialled vintage pieces? Also interesting! To be honest, if it were simply a alternative colour choice, and I for one don't believe that was the primary motivation, then I personally don't think they would have picked brown since it isn't exactly a la mode and invites adjectives of a most scatalogical nature. Well it does to my childish mind anyhow.

Edited Jul 31, 2018
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 31, 2018

It is a nod to the tropical dials. As it turns out a brown dial is attractive... it’s not exactly a faux vintage. Go look at a 2500 planet ocean... it’s not a faux vintage piece but takes a lot of styling from the original sm300.

dubois likes this.
  19. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2018

Used to own one.

Cool piece in the flesh to be fair, to make it perfect, change the calf strap.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  20. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 31, 2018

To be fair what I said above was ‘faux degraded dial paint’ I didn’t actually say it was a faux vintage piece. The word faux seems to push buttons!