Forums Latest Members
  1. Noddyman Aug 14, 2017

This looks like a nice 50's Seamaster.

IMG_0810.JPG
  2. Noddyman Aug 14, 2017

3. Edward53 Aug 14, 2017

4. Noddyman Aug 14, 2017

I didn't think the case looked too bad, dial is nice, realised the crown was wrong, I missed the hour hand. I was going to make a low offer but thanks I will take your advice.

5. ConElPueblo Aug 14, 2017

It's a cal. 420, so it is likely to be a medium sized Seamaster at around 32mm, making it less desirable than the regular sized ones.

I gave a cal. 470 medium sized Seamaster and it has the same large hands, though that doesn't make them original - I suspect they have been replaced at some point.

The 420 is a manually wound movement and despite the seller's claims, these aren't "sort after" (sic). If anything, it makes the watch less attractive. I'd say that it is priced at, at least, three times what I'd say is fair value.

mikechi22 likes this.
  6. cristos71 Aug 14, 2017

Agreed, and it definitely shouldn't be cluttering up the "Recommended" thread.

7. mac_omega Aug 14, 2017

+1 too many questionable recommendations lately...

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 14, 2017

I recommend that this thread be reserved for the experts. For the record, I am not one.

Noddyman likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2017

I've pulled this out to its own thread as it didn't belong in that topic, totally agree with the sentiments above though

10. Noddyman Aug 14, 2017

I totally agree with this comment.
    If the thread is not for members to make suggestions on what they "think" is a nice watch then what's the point? I still don't feel this is such a terrible watch, maybe too small, wrong hands and wrong crown but nothing that can't be put right. I am only trying to help but this makes me reluctant to post in this thread for fear of getting things wrong?

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2017

I've moved it out into a separate thread but yea unless you're entirely certain about something don't put it in that other thread.

12. ConElPueblo Aug 14, 2017

Basically, it is for those who know the vintage Omega market properly to point out good buys to the members. Think of it as being the difference between having a tour of Rome guided by a Roman citizen and having a tour of Rome with a Roman citizen who has a degree in Roman History.

mikechi22 likes this.
  13. Noddyman Aug 14, 2017

I get what your saying but the title of the thread leaves it open for anyone to post what they think is a decent watch. I am convinced that this is just going to happen time and time again. As suggested maybe the title should read: "Recommend (by experts) Vintage OMEGA Watches On Ebay".

mikechi22 likes this.
  14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 14, 2017

To be honest, it rarely happens but there have been a few more lately. I have a lot of posts but am far from being an expert so I would never post a watch unless I was 100% sure of it. Don't be defensive and take it as a lesson learned.

Edited Aug 14, 2017
  15. ConElPueblo Aug 14, 2017

Very true. It's only been like this for a few months...

The question is - if you aren't 100% sure of something being a good offer, why would you even recommend it?

cristos71 and efauser like this.
  16. cristos71 Aug 14, 2017

I disagree, there is a big difference between what you think of as, "a decent watch" and the kind of watch we expect to see in the 'Recommended' thread. The longer you stick around the more you will be aware of this and be able to clearly see the difference. If in doubt about a watch then don't post it there

efauser and ConElPueblo like this.
  17. mikechi22 Aug 14, 2017

Having a thread like this up and open seems like a fair compromise. I'm still convinced that there is a market for discussion on watches for sale that may not rise to the level of a zealous collector's interest, but may give confidence to someone just starting out. It's especially nice if someone says, "this is decent" but is not in the market for the watch himself. When a budding collector brings a watch forward for advice, only a cad would then start bidding on it, so this thread raises awareness, readers learn something, and somebody might think, for the right price, I'd have that!

18. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 14, 2017

Those recommendations are not just for the "zealous collector's interest". They usually represent a balance between good value and very good condition. If there is an issue (wrong crown, for example) that's always mentioned and the caveat "for the right price" usually follows.

I submit that is a better learning tool than posting a mediocre watch that some noob will buy and regret, as they learn. If, as a noob, you can trust what's posted there to be solid, you won't be pissing away money.