Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on Lucien piccard

1. Mattjames84 Sep 24, 2015

Was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were on LP seasharks from the 60s? I'v been looking for one I like for quite some time now but no luck. I have my own sentimental reasons that I love them of course.

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 24, 2015

I don't know much about them, because the brand has never been at the forefront of most collectors' minds. My memory of them was that they were "economy" watches in the sense they were fully jeweled Swiss watches marketed at a lower price than the (relatively) big, expensive names like Omega, Girard Perregaux, Longines, etc.
    I had to search the Sea Shark to which you refer. Judging by the pictures I see (and I have been "judging by pictures" of watches for 30 years), it appears for that (1960's) vintage to house a good quality ebauche (movement made by a company who doesn't make complete watches but rather sells complete movements to watch companies like Lucien Piccard). Some styles were quite attractive! But as the late 60's/ early 70's approach, the cases and dials begin to look like inexpensive manufacture.
    Presuming the movements used were sourced from ETA or Adolph Schild, these will be durable and reliable watches with some hope of finding parts today (many were manufactured in the day so survival rates are decent). As mentioned above, these watches are not on many collector radars at the moment, so you may not find much support for your admiration. Worse, if you decide later to part with a Lucien Piccard, you may not find an interested party at a value that is fair given the quality.
    Fortunately, the money invested in the LP can reasonably be expected to be low, and actual money gained or lost in resale will be of minimal impact. This factor is what draws me to the "Wittnauer" brand from time to time. I can get them cheap, they're reliable, attractively styled, and fun to chase. But I usually lose a little money selling when I change my mind!
    Can you find a picture of a Sea Shark that appeals to you and share it? I found this on an image search, and think it looks great!
    [​IMG]

janice&fred likes this.