Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on Constellation Globemaster bi-metal

1. pauldlc Aug 8, 2020

Hi guys, new to this forum so just wanted to catch feels.

I have the opportunity to purchase a new Globemaster 39MM bi-metal in the yellow gold and steel. To be precise this is the model: 130.20.39.21.02.001 Image attached

The RRP on Omegas website is £9,130 and I have the opportunity to purchase one from Ernest Jones for £4,770 so approximately 47% discount.

I am new to Omega having owned many watches and in my current collection I have a steel 2019 Santos de Cartier and a Tudor Blackbay 41

I have a feeling the Globemaster is either going or is going to be updated, anyone have thoughts on that?

Also I love the watch but due to the discount I am worried I am purchasing a dead horse? A 18ct gold bi metal luxury watch with in house movement for almost 50% off sounds too good to be true, if I want to trade this in a few years for a change I feel I may still loose money on it? Even at 50% less on RRP.

would appreciate anyone’s thoughts. Thanks,

70895678-2AC8-4166-8D4F-8F1A969D1A32.png
    Johnsnr and Longbow like this.
  2. OmegaP99 Aug 8, 2020

Hello and welcome!
    I don't follow prices on these so can't speak to the deal you may or may not be getting, but I think you may be worrying to much about future values and collectability. I bet you bought your Cartier and Tudor because you loved them, and if this piece carries a lot of personal appeal to you then get it and wear it. It sounds like you may be concerned that if you buy this one a later update may come out and you could have buyer's remorse, but that's a risk with everything from watches to cars. I've found that if you buy what you like, and are happy with the price regardless of what others paid or ask for their, then you won! Watches are some of the most personal possessions we have since they are attached to out bodies every day, so you want to look down and smile, not always wonder "did this thing appreciate today or lose value?"

I'd love to see your other watches if you get inspired to share pics.

pauldlc likes this.
  3. Longbow Aug 8, 2020

Omega dropping the Globemaster line completely would be a surprising move and one I think is unlikely. More likely is that E&J need to generate some cash and are offloading stock.

Do you know if that discount is just for the model you mentioned or does it also apply to the Steel/Sedna gold version (Ref: 130.20.39.21.03.001)?

Are you sure you like the watch or are you being blinded by the discount (which is indeed very tempting).

posts without pics are dull so

A1E97AF8-98BE-4278-A248-2D491902996B.jpeg 3C0274FB-1B26-431F-9600-DF2282F07B46.jpeg

It’s much nicer in the metal than in Omega’s official photos by the way

sonicosa, Shailor, Wetworks and 4 others like this.
  4. janice&fred Aug 8, 2020

Those recent updated constellation pie-pans are stunning, and I doubt they will ever go out of fashion. The bi-metal works well on them since they are supposed to have pizazz like their predecessors.

KingCrouchy, pauldlc and OmegaP99 like this.
  5. pauldlc Aug 8, 2020

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, advise and warm welcome.

I do love the Globemaster in question and I totally get you should always buy if you love it rather than thinking about selling etc but the huge discount just made me question the future AND why it’s possible to get 50% off a prestigious brand like Omega which is often compared to Rolex...?!

However I feel I am just lucky to have stumbled on this deal. The sale did include other watches in this range yes, steel and the rose but I only like the yellow as I wear yellow gold. The sale has now ended but I have this item on hold.

I have attached my other watches below! Enjoy! I am still open to more feedback on this purchase as I won’t be getting the watch till Tuesday/Wednesday. As I say just wanted to get a feel for things and so far I am happy to proceed with the purchase

5EEDD70B-9A7D-42CC-B687-998E2B1213AF.jpeg CB5A1264-69A9-48EF-8522-4ABFB26D926B.jpeg
    OmegaP99 and Martin_J_N like this.
  6. janice&fred Aug 8, 2020

Nice. I have always been a fan of the Santos and the Tudor is an obvious winner.

OmegaP99 and pauldlc like this.
  7. Martin_J_N Aug 8, 2020

Wow, are you sure that these watches as the ones posted on Omega’s website. Stunningly beautiful.

8. TimeODanaos Aug 8, 2020

Problem solved - next case!
    This Globemaster will stay classic even when it is eventually replaced, don't worry. This is indeed a major retailer getting in cash - I so wish I'd been in your shoes! The extent to which Rolex prices are or aren't managed in the teeth of market forces are debated ad nauseam on some threads - I'd just enjoy your own good taste and eye for a deal instead if I were you!
    So, welcome aboard Paul, and looking forward to your pics!

9. Martin_J_N Aug 8, 2020

Love that Cartier, it is just stunning, I would be very happy to have that watch in my collection, every time I go past my AD I see that watch in the display and think should I? But if I did buy I would then have a DJ and Cartier for the same role in my collection, which seems a bit pointless.

As for the Globemaster, well if you did buy would you not have two watches for a similar role in your collection? Just a thought. :whistling:

OmegaP99 and pauldlc like this.
  10. pauldlc Aug 8, 2020

good point however I am more of a gold kinda guy so the Cartier does hold some buyers remorse due to this. The Tudor although it is god does not have a date which in my job and with my tired old brain does come in handy!

I’m afraid the Cartier and Tudor will be retired from my collection over the GM. Still in two minds on this but the GM stamps all over these two in style and function.

Wetworks, OmegaP99, Longbow and 2 others like this.
  11. Longbow Aug 8, 2020

Yes quite sure.
    DCE6152F-F286-4290-ABFB-F00E3928238C.jpeg

Martin_J_N, janice&fred and pauldlc like this.
  12. OmegaP99 Aug 8, 2020

This, too, can be corrected!
    Thanks for coming back to share your other pieces, you have the start of a really great collection. Clearly you have good taste!
    91881_MAIN_163.jpg

Martin_J_N and pauldlc like this.
  13. pauldlc Aug 8, 2020

totally agree this is a stunning watch but also extremely dressy also, always wanted a Santos, got one and regretted it. Time to move on

I do think the GM is a great balance of dressy and sport... I see it working well with shorts and a T - I think it’s the all brushed finish that makes it so versatile.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  14. pauldlc Aug 13, 2020

Finally took the plunge today

A803891A-2362-443F-A133-10A2BCBF7228.jpeg
    kkt, Shailor, Aludic and 5 others like this.
  15. OmegaP99 Aug 13, 2020

Thanks for the update and congrats, a modern classic! What are your impressions now that you've got it?

pauldlc likes this.
  16. gbesq Aug 13, 2020

Gorgeous. Globemaster > Datejust.

17. pauldlc Aug 13, 2020

Thanks! Impressions are, it’s a classic piece for sure and the size is great for my 7” wrist. I have noticed a few people say the bracelet is sharp and it’s heavy and both are definitely not an issue for me at all.

For a two tone model it’s definitely more subtle and less flashy compared to a bi metal Datejust II 41mm I once owned and one I was extremely conscious about wearing when it came to attracting attention. This watch will definitely and understandably get compliments but won’t have that “Rolex” stigma/mug me appeal (I hope).

The dial is clearly a stand out as the pan shape is very unique and I have a feeling it will age extremely well due to its heritage/modern look.

I am taken back by the amount of 18ct gold used in the strap as the ratio is generous leaning towards more gold than steel and the ratio is perfect when it comes to the watch case.

Johnsnr, OmegaP99 and Longbow like this.
  18. Longbow Aug 13, 2020

Congratulations on your new acquisition!
    Interesting comment on the amount of gold in the bracelet.

Since you have a 7” wrist I guess you had a link or two taken out to size the bracelet correctly. Would you care to show some close-ups of the links?

It would be great to also see some photos of this model in natural light; the shop/boutique lighting isn’t always flattering to the Globemaster.

pauldlc likes this.
  19. pauldlc Aug 15, 2020

Hey!

So I had 1 link removed which has left the watch with a nice bit of room, if one liked the tighter fit then another link could also be removed.

Absolutely adore this watch, definitely a statement watch without the bling. Completely smitten with it! Natural light picture below

915277F6-87DC-4846-AC15-7DF39D882B9E.jpeg
    steelfish, OmegaP99 and Longbow like this.
  20. Shailor Apr 2, 2021

I think this watch is stunning. I have one on hold at an AD and will be picking it up in the next couple weeks. I’m really stoked! I’ve been crazy about this timepiece since first seeing it years ago.