Forums Latest Members

Thoughts appreciated, thinking of pulling the trigger.

1. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 25, 2013

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this baby. All looks good to me but I am far from an expert. Anyone see any glaring issues?

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

Thanks in advance

Pete

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 25, 2013

I'm also no expert and it may be the photo's but the case does seem to have seen some polishing, in the second pic the outside of the lugs looks quite soft and rounded. Also a pic of the movement would helpful.
    I'm sure those with more knowledge will be along shortly

3. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 25, 2013

Some more pics. These are not mine but the sellers.

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

cheers

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 26, 2013

Nice 105.003....... The bezel and the dial looks nice for the age. Movement is also clean. I agree with Shaun that the seller polish the case too much for my taste. He wants to take out all the scratch and come out shiny...but actually ruin it. I prefer having the scratch intact in tool watch like Speedy. We call it character.

You can check this previously sold 105.003 for reference
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-321-105-003-straight-lug.5509/
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/1964-omega-pre-moon-speedmaster-c321.3871/#post-44493

or other member's http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-pre-professional-took-a-gamble-and.4445/#post-51438

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 26, 2013

As is often the case, it does depend on price.

This is not a "condition" watch, one that is going into OCD-Section of a members collection of perfect timepieces.
    It is simply too unorigional and "worn".

This is not a bad thing.

This is a watch that to me has all the right parts, and is in a condition that can be worn daily without worry. It is the perfect type of watch to wear, enjoy, use, and gain tremedous pleasure from.

Specifically:
    The case is overpolished.
    The bezel is very good, not perfect but better than 70% of the bezels I see on this reference.
    The dial has a worn look to it. Plots thin and degraded, the background faded - and not brown that I can see. It is not degraded in an added value way, from what I see on the photos.
    It is on a leather band. (Just take that into account when comparing prices - metal bracelets have become expensive)

In short, as long as the price is not set for a "Top Condition" watch, its nice and I would go for it without hesitation to use regularly.

And dont forget to service it when you get it.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 26, 2013

Spacefruit, how much do you think the fair value range of this example?

7. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 26, 2013

I would be interested on thoughts of value. Asking price is what I would consider top shelf assuming that my top shelf is realistic. I do like to wear my watches but obviously with care.

cheers

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 26, 2013

One just sold on Ebay for USD$3800.
    I would say yours should be 3000-4000.

It does depend on your location. European dealers try to get much more, but honestly I dont know if they actualy sell anything.

What are you being asked?

9. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 26, 2013

They are asking nearly 6k USD. I think I will keep looking.. Anybody want to sell one?
    Cheers

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 26, 2013

:p I've often wondered the same. I get the price differential between hobbyist seller on eBay and dealer, but sometimes the markup is jaw-dropping. I suppose they keep their stock until inflation/appreciation catches up.

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 26, 2013

Yes. That would be my advice.
    The recent ebay one is typical of what comes up from time to time.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251319882421?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    It was missing its crown, but thats a service item anyway.

You do need access to one of the very few Calibre 321 friendly workshops. Not someone who SAYS he is. (Resentment? Moi?) Yes very much so on watchmakers who claim to be experts in 321's......but thats another story....just learn from my mistake!)