Forums Latest Members

Thoughts and opinions needed On this watch . As found in drawer of 103 year old doctor

1. manduke Aug 5, 2017

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 5, 2017

Put it back in the drawer.

3. manduke Aug 5, 2017

It seems to work fine but didnt want to run too long. The cap on the crown is loose. Otherwise intact. There were several better watches with other discarded items dating to the 70's. How do I identify this watch? What is a radonable service estimate. I am going to wear it. Which band would be correct. I put that one on it

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Aug 5, 2017

Was it Dr. Frankenstein ?

5. manduke Aug 5, 2017

Not sure he is long gone. He was from chicago. I do know that his son had electrodes in his neck. He handled the estate sale

6. TexOmega Aug 5, 2017

I like your sense of humor, you'll do well hanging around here.

Service it and wear in good health. A classic for sure.

This is what it should look like

IMG_2861.JPG

Or at least somewhat close to this.

7. mikechi22 Aug 5, 2017

You are a good sport! As a new poster, you're learning quickly that the "éminences grises" are zealous about watches having the original, factory dial and not being polished. Youll surely want to get a watchmaker to open this one up and see how the movement has survived all these years. From what I have read, winding and running the watch in its current parlous state risks damaging it severely and upping your service expense. I think you'll be looking at over $300 plus parts to get it running, maybe another $150 if you want to do something else with the dial, assuming you are in the USA. If you got it for a song, it might be worth it, though its desirability to collectors is already compromised. If it's a genuine Omega, it runs and it looks great and it's not too expensive, there's a market for it! Congrats on the find and not being deterred by the Son of Frankenstein!

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 5, 2017

It looks like a watch that was loved and worn well by the original owner. The dial refreshment may have been done during a regular service.

Not all watch owners in the 1950s/1960s considered future perfectionist/pedantic/purist watch collectors in the way they treated their watches.

Bringing it back to pristine condition will be very difficult and expensive.
    A new crown and a movement service and you have a nice vintage watch to wear.
    I would leave it "shabby chic" on the outside, and even age the new crown to match the case.

9. Edward53 Aug 6, 2017

Just wondering what the "several better watches" were?

10. JohnSteed Aug 6, 2017