Forums Latest Members
  1. GDOG Mar 3, 2013

Hello, I am obviously new here but have always loved watches. I have just started "collecting" although the watches I buy are more to wear than to buy or sell, or collect. When contemplating a purchase I ask myself the following:

1. Will I wear this?
    2. If I get bored or need cash, can I sell and get my money out in a reasonable fashion?

I don't want to make poor investments, but will only invest in pieces that speak to me and I will wear.

With this background, I have been contemplating a pre-moon Speedmaster without crown guard. I like this because it is smaller than the other versions, and I have a really small wrist. I now see that omega is coming out with a remake of this watch "First Omega in Space".

Can you please enlighten me as to the pros and cons of the reissue vs. the higher cost of a good representative sample of the original ?

-GDOG

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

Cal 321s are never a bad investment, as Mike always espouses. Its not a cheap watch, and not even remotely waterproof, so there's that downside, but they're a great watch none the less.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

Since you bring up the investment aspect: Reissue will depreciate, original will appreciate.

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

The answers you get on here will be heavily biased towards vintage.

If however you are looking for a good daily wearer, that is reliable with manageable service costs and no need to worry about getting any parts, go for the reissue - especially if you are in a hurry to buy something

On the other hand, if you want a piece of history that you need to treat with care and you don't mind relatively expensive servicing, with the possibility that some parts might not be available in future, then do some research and start going vintage ;)

5. GDOG Mar 3, 2013

Thanks all for the responses. If anyone knows of a solid pre-moon with 321 movement, straight lugs and no guards please let me know.

-GDOG

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

Good luck with that - if one like that comes up there will be a fair old queue to snag it. Best start doing your own research ;)

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

As you are probably going to wear this fairly regularly, I'm going to make a recommendation that you get a FOIS for the following reasons.
    1. Will probably be cheaper then a pre-moon straight leg.
    2. Will be be more dependable and less likely to have issues.
    3. greater water resistance. 5-6 atm
    4. warranty
    5. more serviceable in the future.
    6. a pre-moon to be regularly worn will require an additional $5-600 in service cost.

Now that said, a 2998, 105.002, 105.003 are great iconic watches. I own one and hope to own several more.
    But I also own more modern Speedys that are great for wear.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. GDOG Mar 3, 2013

Thanks all for the advice. It is must appreciated. It seems I can't have my cake and it it too! I probably need one of each!

-GDOG

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

That's the spirit!