Forums Latest Members
  1. Uncle Seiko Aug 23, 2015

I am new to Omegas, and am looking for a 70's chronograph. This one caught my eye, and I was wondering what you guys thought. His BIN price seems high, as no one has taken it for a few weeks now. Interesting story about the dial. Does this lessen the value of the watch? I would love to hear some feedback before making an offer. I am a vintage Seiko guy, and Omegas are usually out of my price range, but they have been calling me lately! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26197918998...49&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 23, 2015

If you are a vintage Seiko guy, what do you think of the hands and dial? And what do they do to prices in Seiko world? Not being rude would just like your thoughts

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 23, 2015

Apologies, I should have looked at the ad rather than just the first coupe of pictures before I wrote ::facepalm1::
    And now having read the whole thing all i can say is I am unsure! Though I think we have discussed the same watch on here before!

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 24, 2015

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Aug 24, 2015

This specific example is tough to judge. The case is over-polished but the story of that dial is compelling. But all things equal most collectors would probably prefer an original dial in great condition. The typical range on these is $1200 to $2000 depending on condition and bracelet, though from time to time they sell in the high $2000s. Watches at the high end of the range tend to have really crisp cases. So at $2750 this seller is hoping for someone looking for a story behind their watch that is willing to pay $1000 more than the watch would otherwise command.

Have a look at this one. Nice dial and the case doesn't look perfect but is less polished than the $2750 one. No reserve auction too, though this is a popular seller so he commands prices toward the higher end of the spectrum. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...REF-176-007-/391234678855?hash=item5b17677047Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Aug 24, 2015

Am I the only one confused by the story.

In the 3rd last picture it shows the "original Seamaster dial" with "T-Swiss Made-T" next to the incorrect Speedmaster dial which the Service Centre installed on the watch. How is it possible that he has both the original dial, the new incorrect Speedmaster dial, besides each other at the same time as shown in the photo, he says that the service centre kept the original dial and that a worldwide search didn't produce any replacement.

If an incorrect Speedmaster was dial indeed installed, but the "original" dial was returned with the watch, why not re-install the original Seamaster dial, why install a new Seamaster dial in a different colour without the T-Swiss-T text?

And what happened to the orignal dial that is shown in the 3rd before last photo?

Emails are so easy to create, I don't have a lot of faith in the email message, especially since most executives don't reply or respond to emails, but they may to written mail.

7. djmusicman Aug 24, 2015

Check out a few wrist shots, a watch like this can look nice in photos. With a case shape like that it might look awkward on the wrist. I'd go for a Speedmaster instead.

wrist.jpg
    Uncle Seiko and efauser like this.
  8. Blaise Aug 24, 2015

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

on my 7.5" wrist

Uncle Seiko and efauser like this.
  9. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Aug 24, 2015

I'm not seeing where he says the SC kept the original dial. The worldwide search confirmed that Omega doesn't supply or have any old stock of that specific dial.

Not sure what was wrong with the original dial either, but it stands to reason that if either the owner or Omega thought the original dial needed to be replaced the first time, they wouldn't want to just reinstall the original the second time around. Also, I'm unclear what you mean about the different colour? The colors are the same to my eye.

He says the original dial is still in his possession and will be included with the sale. It is common Omega practice to return damaged or replaced parts in a bag to the owner after a service.

I totally agree that emails are easy to fake and that makes the provenance of this watch less concrete than would say a hand signed letter on Omega letterhead. But I disagree with the generalization that executives don't reply or respond to emails. My experience is like the general population, some will reply, some won't.

I have no affiliation with the seller but my gut tells me the story is true. Basically, the story is there to substantiate the existence of that particular dial with simply "SWISS MADE" at the bottom, which otherwise is unexplainable. I don't at all think the dial is faked. If it is, it is some of the best forgery I've seen on a watch and as much as I love my 70s chronos I doubt that any forger that good is wasting time on creating a 40 year old 176.007 dial. And if they were, they'd remember to add the "T-" and "-T". So there has to be SOME explanation for the dial and the story sounds reasonable to me.

...All that said, the price is out of whack.

10. Uncle Seiko Aug 24, 2015

I appreciate this very much, guys. I will be on the hunt for this model as a starter, I think. I love the 70's style, and the price is something I can manage.

Also, I sent the seller this link, since we have been talking about making a deal. This is what he said:

New message from: marcpaulgallery (617[​IMG])
    Always interesting to see what the forum "experts" have to say. As to the person who wrote "How is it possible that he has both the original dial, the new incorrect Speedmaster dial ..." Anyone who's had watched service knows that Omega returns all parts replaced with the refurbished watch. And that was the photo sent to the Omega executives which led to the worldwide search. Thanks for sending

11. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Aug 25, 2015

Good feedback and comments.

Regarding the colour, it looks to me as if the original dial is black but the newly printed dial is a dark blue, maybe it's my eyes or the screen fooling me.

You have to wonder what it cost Omega to have someone tool up and print such a nice dial as a one-off, that can't be cheap, and I would really like to know who the dial maker was, wouldn't it be nice to have access to their services for replacement dials when they are damaged beyond repair, nice workmanship or what.