Forums Latest Members
  1. David_W Dec 9, 2018

Hello!

New member to the forum here with some questions about an Omega for sale on eBay.
    I've been reading through some stuff here to try and get more information on Omega watches in general, but I have to admit I know just enough to know that I'm essentially ignorant.

Below are some pictures of the piece in question. The thing that makes me somewhat uneasy is the fact that there aren't any pictures of the movement or the inside of the caseback. I'm not sure but I think the "Seamaster" on the dial is correct, and to my very untrained eye it doesn't seem to have been refinished. Regarding the hands, I haven't seen very many non DeVille model seamasters with them so there's another point of hesitation.

What do you think? I'd rather start a collection of vintage watches off on the right foot than make a costly mistake immediately.

Edit: per the post - This is a cal. 610 ref. 14775

IMG_0738 (1).jpg IMG_0739.jpg IMG_0740.jpg IMG_0741.jpg
    Edited Dec 9, 2018
  2. Dan S Dec 9, 2018

You're definitely going to be more confident if you can see photos of the inside. Can you request them?

3. BenBagbag Dec 9, 2018

Good luck getting those. This is a front loader case. Not clear I would even want someone trying to open the watch who didn't know what they were doing. I find these watches typically are less messed with than screw back or snap on casebacks.

Tldr I'd be more confident buying a monocoque watch without seeing movement photos.

Dan S likes this.
  4. CaptainWinsor Dec 9, 2018

The description states it’s a monocoque

5. David_W Dec 9, 2018

After reading some more about these Omegas I saw where it was a front loader. It definitely makes more sense to me that they would have a tendency to have less tinkering done with them.

In the description it says it’s an original dial. I can’t see any (in my opinion) obvious signs of a redial. What do you guys think? Unless the bidding really starts to move I think it’d be a good deal for sub $300 compared to the other Omegas with a dial this (I consider) clean.

6. David_W Dec 9, 2018

Well.... I won the auction.

I have a good feeling about the watch, but if someone with more knowledge of these pieces thinks it's not genuine or isn't an original dial I'd love to know as it was advertised as all original.

Like I said earlier I can't see any blatantly obvious signs of a redial, but I'll be the first to admit that I could be wrong.

Once I get it from the seller I'll post some pictures of it. The plan is to take it to the local shop that I've been going to and asking if he can service the movement and also get his take on the watch.

qboa likes this.
  7. Edward53 Dec 10, 2018

Photos not brilliant but the dial looks original to me.

8. kelev_ra Dec 10, 2018

If you like you could post photos once you got the watch. The pictures are just too dark...

9. Hnansen Dec 10, 2018

I am positive that the dial is not a redial.
    How much did you end up paying?

10. Canuck Dec 10, 2018

You may know it, but thus far in this thread, it has not been mentioned that the caliber 610 is a manual winder, not a self winder. Just in case that makes a difference.

11. David_W Dec 10, 2018

I ended up making the most rookie bidding mistake ever and bidding my top bid price thinking I was setting my max bid.. BUT I got it for $335. When I set my bid the top bid was $310. I think I paid a little more than I should have, but I do like the watch.

I was actually under the impression that it was an auto, but I like manuals just fine. Thanks for clearing that up.

Once I get the watch in I'll definitely post some clear pictures of it.

12. Dan S Dec 11, 2018

I don't think you did anything wrong in bidding. The underbidder probably had a top bid that was higher than $310 (e.g. $330), so when you entered your top bid, it bumped up to that amount. His top bid would not have been shown prior to your making a bid.

That said, it's usually best to wait until the last few seconds of an auction to place your bid.