Thought a 145.022-69 SW was incoming, got burned instead....

Thank you for sharing your story @OneTwo. It may save someone else from making the same mistake. I hope that you are able to recover your funds.
Thanks, fund recovery is already in the works with the CC servicer.
Sad story. Out of curiosity, did you do a Google image search on the FS pics he had posted on FB?

The main flag for me would have been that 'he needed money' yet was readily willing to sell for a lot less than the actual value. That kind of defeats the purpose of selling things to get money. I would think a seller would take the info "you know, it's worth more than you are asking" and immediately research and relist for a higher amount.
To your first question, yes and I touch on that in what I wrote. No matching images from the listing came up. Had the seller send me a photo of the watch with my name and date on a piece of paper, had them set the watch to a certain time (no where near what it was in the photos) then send me a photo, even got photos of the item being packed. Granted on this the photos only showed the watch at all items inclueded in the sale, and then the original omega box placed in a sipping box with packing paper around it.

Agreed on the flag of "needing the money", again I knew better to be rushed but with everything taken into account it seemed like it was legit. The story they told was that they went to some local pawn shops and were only offered $1000 for it so they were okay with what they had for an asking price and didn't want the hassle of having to deal with it any longer. In hindsight definitely a red flag to which I should have paid more attention. And maybe a part of me just wanted it to be legit but that's why I shared my story, this all could have been avoided if I followed rule #1: Buy the seller.

Scammers often try to find an asking price that seems like a bargain, but isn't too good to be true.
If I may ask, what was the price?
Agreed @Dan S. The price was $1900 usd @Scarecrow Boat so not wildly crazy low but definitely a bargain. Even still I should have known better that it was too good to be true.

I know you said the credit card company will cover it but until that’s totally resolved I wouldn’t be satisfied. I’ve heard stories in the past of credit companies rejecting claims paid via PayPal friends and family because that’s not a “purchase”. They’ll also want you to file a claim with the payment provider (Venmo, PP, etc) to see if they can recoup the money first. In the end you’re in a good place if the credit card company eats it. So many horror stories of people wiring $17,000 and it’s gone forever.

It’s great that your sharing your experience but please share the username that the seller was/is using on market place so no one here even begins the journey.
The ultimate red flag of this whole debacle, was that as soon as the item arrived and my concerns were realized I went right to FB messenger to get back to the listing. Listing deleted, no longer marked sold, and the profile "John Howard" was also deleted with a "There's nothing here" page from FB when trying to get to the profile. I had checked it an hour earlier to verify so I know the deletion of listing an profile closely aligned with the package being delivered. No further proof need that I allowed myself to get taken for a ride. Immediately contacted the CC servicer and P2P servicer to report the issue.

I know you said the credit card company will cover it but until that’s totally resolved I wouldn’t be satisfied. I’ve heard stories in the past of credit companies rejecting claims paid via PayPal friends and family because that’s not a “purchase”. They’ll also want you to file a claim with the payment provider (Venmo, PP, etc) to see if they can recoup the money first. In the end you’re in a good place if the credit card company eats it. So many horror stories of people wiring $17,000 and it’s gone forever.
I have filed a dispute with the P2P payment servicer as well in order to cover all my bases. Really sorry to hear of people sending that large a sum and it being unreconcilable, I couldn't image. My loss is just over 10% of that amount, by no means a small sum either, but if it comes to it I'll figure out a way to manage the loss. I made the mistake, so I'll take this as a tough lesson and figure it out as the process unfolds.

The ultimate red flag of this whole debacle, was that as soon as the item arrived and my concerns were realized I went right to FB messenger to get back to the listing. Listing deleted, no longer marked sold, and the profile "John Howard" was also deleted with a "There's nothing here" page from FB when trying to get to the profile. I had checked it an hour earlier to verify so I know the deletion of listing a profile closely aligned with the package being delivered. No further proof need that I allowed myself to get taken for a ride. Immediately contacted the CC servicer and P2P servicer to report the issue.
I think and I hope your covered from this painful experience. As you say lessons learned move on.

That's an unfortunate situation OP. Hope you get your money back.

This is why I'm weary of any platform that doesn't have a way to vet sellers. eBay has its authenticity guarantee, reddit's watchexchange has its number of transactions, and the forums have its minimum post requirements. I wouldn't trust any FB sale unless it's face to face.
Edited:

Hey, I have gotten some good deals out of FB marketplace. But yeah, you need to be extra wary with anything there.

I hope you get your money back!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I’ll just say I sold a couple of cheaper quartz watches on Facebook Marketplace and it was smooth and easy. Somebody placed the order and paid and I shipped them out. No interaction required. I’ve sold things locally there as well. Some riff raff but overall better than Craigslist.

Seriously, Facebook marketplace?
Yeah I know, turned out to be as stupid as it sounds. Ironically I wasn’t intentionally looking for a watch on the platform. I check every once in while to see what old Datsuns have been listed locally and the Speedmaster was shown in the recommended listings which caught my eye.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I’ll just say I sold a couple of cheaper quartz watches on Facebook Marketplace and it was smooth and easy. Somebody placed the order and paid and I shipped them out. No interaction required. I’ve sold things locally there as well. Some riff raff but overall better than Craigslist.
Appreciate it @Aroxx. Glad to hear the marketplace has turned out good for you. A friend of mine also recently had a good experience buying a lesser known vintage watch which in part gave me the notion to further explore the deal.

Thanks for sharing your story, I am sure it wasn't easier for you to come up with a thread here and to process what happened, but it's going to help other people in a similar situation!

Proper punishment for that scammer is the "Pulp fiction" treatment. He should wear this uncomfortable hunk of metal (George) up his ass for two years, not necessarily in a Vietnamese prison camp.

That's an unfortunate situation OP. Hope you get your money back.

This is why I'm weary of any platform that doesn't have a way to vet sellers. eBay has its authenticity guarantee, reddit's watchexchange has its number of transactions, and the forums have its minimum post requirements. I wouldn't trust any FB sale unless it's face to face.

even face to face can be risky…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ook-marketplace-shooting-reports/71891820007/

https://mpdc.dc.gov/release/man-arrested-multiple-facebook-marketplace-armed-robberies

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-new...ketplace-after-shot-while-trying-to-buy-a-car

Thanks, fund recovery is already in the works with the CC servicer.

To your first question, yes and I touch on that in what I wrote. No matching images from the listing came up. Had the seller send me a photo of the watch with my name and date on a piece of paper, had them set the watch to a certain time (no where near what it was in the photos) then send me a photo, even got photos of the item being packed. Granted on this the photos only showed the watch at all items inclueded in the sale, and then the original omega box placed in a sipping box with packing paper around it.

Agreed on the flag of "needing the money", again I knew better to be rushed but with everything taken into account it seemed like it was legit. The story they told was that they went to some local pawn shops and were only offered $1000 for it so they were okay with what they had for an asking price and didn't want the hassle of having to deal with it any longer. In hindsight definitely a red flag to which I should have paid more attention. And maybe a part of me just wanted it to be legit but that's why I shared my story, this all could have been avoided if I followed rule #1: Buy the seller.

Agreed @Dan S. The price was $1900 usd @Scarecrow Boat so not wildly crazy low but definitely a bargain. Even still I should have known better that it was too good to be true.

For the the price would have had my teeth jangling

Bit of an update, well more of a CONTINUE TO BE VIGILANT warning. Looks like the watch is listed on eBay - buyer beware.

Was looking over the Recommended eBay section earlier today and saw a straight writing listed. I immediately recognized it as the watch I was made the mistake of thinking I was purchasing. The the mis-matched end link at the 6'oclock position caught my eye and then a couple more markings on the case had me pretty sure it was it. But the info on the papers, dead ringer, it's the same watch. Not saying it's the same seller but I'm 99% sure it's the same watch. I figured I'd post all the photos I have provided by the seller as well as the ones from the eBay listing so if you're curious you can see for yourself and compare.

Photos I was provided by the seller I interacted with:

Photos from the recent eBay listing ending 3/1/2024 @ 8:37pm:

Crease through cover of papers is in what looks to be the exact same spot and fold angle. Also same inner and outer box styles, yes I know they were the common style but to my knowledge to have both the inner and outer boxes is less common.

Mis-matched end link at 6 o'clock position, it's not a 47 like the other one, looks to be the same design as the one on the SW I thought I was purchasing.

Equipped with an 1175 similar to the one I had believed I purchased.

Markings/scratches at lugs on left side of photo appear to be the same as the ones on the non-crown side of the one from my ordeal.

Serial number matches my recent searches history at ilovemyspeedmaster.com and additionally all the info looks to be what I remember from the photo the seller sent me. Stupidly I didn't save that photo from the FB chat.

Again, only posting to help spare others from the mistake I made. Stay safe out there OF.

Presumably the eBay one is the real one that your guy spoofed, right? It’s going to have to go to an Authenticator first. If this one is a scam they have no way of getting any funds and even if they did the buyer at least has the protection.

We should start a thread for scam losses and postal losses with a rulebase that states only sympathy and no judgements

Recently lost a package that had a 1800 euro watch inside, written off, but has been on my mind for 5 weeks now

I like to think these kind of losses as percentages, like 1% - 2% - 3% of total collection as potential losses - in the grand scheme of things not a big deal, but emotionally you get to realise it's not about the money but the emotional connection to a potential/existing member of your watch collection

Personally I believe the percentage is 4 for me - compared to the total amount of money I spent on watches, I lost 4% on missing packages, scams or misrepresented items