Forums Latest Members
  1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 8, 2013

While in my birth town Surabaya, I met couple of vintage trader. In one's house I saw this interesting piece which called Marine Chronometer, a clock that become the standard in a ship, where all clocks and watches inside the ship will be aligned to.

Apparently Thomas Mercer is a well known Chronometer Marine, with a third of all production from their factory. Here are links related to them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Mercer_Chronometers
    http://www.thomasmercer.com/index.html
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/legend-revived-thomas-mercer-chronometers-743704.html

Pardon for low quality pictures
    mercer ship clock 1.jpg

thomas mercer 1.jpg

thomas mercer 2.jpg

river rat and Stewart H like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 8, 2013

Mmmmm.........

I want.............but my financial controller thinks otherwise :(

3. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2013

If I ever get my man cave the way I want it, one of these will be in it.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 8, 2013

Yes, I think it would be very excellent work room or study room decoration isn't it?

5. enezdez Jun 9, 2013

I want one or two :) - by the way, it is my understanding some Marine Chronometers are like repeaters and chime. Additionally, Marine Chronometers were for more than just telling time. With the advent of the Marine Chronometer the issue of solving Longitude on the high seas was solved. Henceforth, making nautical crossings much more efficient and safer. Enjoy your Marine Chronometer, it's a beauty!!!

Enezdez

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 9, 2013

unfortunately I didn't buy it :). well may be next time around.

7. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2013

Already got some lighthouse and nautical decorations, and I do have a pretty big seashell collection.

Didn't know that! Got a repeater pocket watch that I plan on using as a desk clock under a glass dome. A repeating marine chronometer would be even cooler than that.

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 9, 2013

Don't forget that the accuracy of a marine chronometre is paramount because it is used for all of the navigation calculations (well it was before GPS)

9. river rat Nov 24, 2013

Cool Chronometer I have a few in my collection a Hamilton Model 22 a Waltham and a Zenith used by the US Navy and a few pocket watches used by the US Air force in WW2 one made by Hamilton the other by Elgin all used for navigation. One of these days would like to add a Hamilton model 21 chronometer. Since I am ex US Navy and spent a lot of time on the bridge is properly why I added these chronometers early when I started collecting watches.
    [​IMG]

Modest_Proposal and Privateday7 like this.
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 24, 2013

Cool collection

11. Canuck Feb 12, 2015

This is one I almost didn't buy! Stumbled on it on vacation, in Washington state. This one was finished in September of 1944, so likely never saw action at war. Hamilton produced 600+ Model 21 chronometers during October of 1944. That was probably more chronometers than some chronometer makers produced, in total.

image.jpg
  12. GrailSpeedmaster Feb 15, 2015

Wow, how timely.

I have a Thomas Mercer as well as a Model 21...both on my living room table. My kids learned to tell time (and set the clocks) with them.

They are indeed a great collectible.

13. GrailSpeedmaster Feb 15, 2015

I have one of those chiming deck clocks (for when to report to stations) as well. Trouble is, I never received the correct key for it and I don't ever wind it due to that. When it returned from servicing several years ago, the clockmaker wound it up to show me that it worked. It never occurred to me that I would need his key (the ones I have would damage the dial as their outside diameter is too large.)