Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 24, 2015

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-G...-Wristwatch-/281805330791?hash=item419ce81967Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

A 145.022-69: (Image from listing)

rubbish for sale.JPG
    Interestingly the back bears no engraving, but it carries the stamp, and is marked -71.

I wonder if the engraving was removed or is it one of the rare plain backs?

Whatever it is this watch is headed way beyond the price I would value a -71. Were this a "barn find" one owner watch it would be understandable, but this is a heavily worn, badly serviced example with plenty of work, good or bad carried out.

The case itself is not sharp.

Then there is the movement - it is 44m (never seen on a -71) and the bridge colours do not match. Something definitely smells unoriginal here.

It certainly has been got at, and now needs a full service. (Check out the subdial hand positions), a bezel as well as service items such as the crystal, pushers and crown. So I reckon about $600 plus whatever the new owner decides for the bezel. I think it would be quite easy to spend $800-900 to get this watch looking right, and then you will have a well serviced watch with a good dial and a worn case.

At todays price with 3 days to go, 870STG or $1330 it will end up costing $2200. As the auction has three days to run I suppose there is a good chance it will go higher.

Mind you, someone might have a friendly watch butcher who can do it for $250, some old pushers and a ratty bezel, all second hand and the watch could be running for $350, so only around $1700 - which is cheap i suppose.

2. repoman Sep 24, 2015

That case is so off putting...

3. novina Sep 24, 2015

From what I have learned here so far, case very polished. No edges left. Hands have no lume left, original, look awful white, not sure yet. Pushers seem to be different, just the picture? Again not sure. But just the fact that the subdial hands are off, tells a story of no proper servicing. I have alot to learn about Speed Masters and maybe one day I will take the plunge. Wife and budget permitting of course. But Spacefruit has done a wonderful job pointing out the wrongs here and that is how we learn.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 24, 2015

It looks like there is a missing part in the movement too. Not very encouraging.

5. ConElPueblo Sep 24, 2015

Understatement of the year! That looks as if it has been polished yearly, with a belt sander, since 1971!

cristos71 likes this.
  6. TNTwatch Sep 24, 2015

It's a marriage (franken) beetween an old case with later movement and dial. The listing is honest to say so.

7. cristos71 Sep 24, 2015

This one is to me a real textbook example of, ''The first big mistake I made when I started collecting vintage watches"

A deep money pit with at very best a below average outcome

Spacefruit likes this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 24, 2015

I am afraid I didn't even look close, once I saw the number and the different bridge color.