Forums Latest Members
  1. watchstuff Apr 1, 2016

Hello everyone!

This time -last- year I joined the forum with the intention of finally getting an Omega watch. Sadly, some stars didn't quite align and a couple of life-changing events got in the way; never quite got around to it / managed it. Delighted, however, that I'll probably be buying my first Omega later this month to help put a bleak year to bed!

Just have a few no doubt silly questions...

1) The Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial looks bloody gorgeous. Why isn't it given "Professional" labelling and what does that label actually mean?

2) I've noticed a lot of people here refer to watches by numbers, for example, 3570.50, which I guess is a model number. If I was to buy a new Omega from a boutique next week, should model numbers like that be something I ask about? Or is a current Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial simply that? Obvs people here are so knowledgable the model numbers just roll off the tongue so it's easy for me to get lost in it - so thought i'd ask :)

4) Movement - 8400? What does that mean? Is there a lot of variance in the current crop of watches? What's the difference? The watches I am looking at are listed below, is the movement the same in each of them? Any "better" than the other?

5) My choices are -

Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial : this one I've slowly started to love, after not really being that bothered about it. But it looks beautiful and seems like it'd fit in the fanciest of occasions and casual too. There's something about it that's pulling me in but I can't pinpoint what. It seems special.

Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M with the Orange bezel : I've wanted this watch since I was 17ish I think, about 12 years. I remember it from when it was about £1750, £1850! Used to look in window displays all the time at it and I adore it. So there's a lot of love here... but wondering if I should listen to head or heart. Heart says yes, I've wanted it since forever, orange is my favourite colour... but, the other two watches more subtle for different occasions. Additionally the watch is available in grey ceramic bezel with orange numbers. Should I get that instead of orange aluminium? Is the aluminium really a "problem"? It's the only way to get orange so I guess not, but still. The Seamaster 300 is calling to me at the moment, but the PO...

Seamaster Diver 300M in Black : always loved this watch from 007. Prefer black to blue though, even though I'd love to own a blue one later down the line after I've got the dream ones! I think the current black one, with its glossy dial looks absolutely amazing. It's quite a bit cheaper than the other two as well, which is very handy.

What would you do?

2. _Omega_ Apr 1, 2016

Comments embedded in the original post and at the end.

All strong choices. You seem most drawn to the Diver 300. Go with your gut and remember it's just the first. There will be more ;)

Congrats in advance and post pictures when you take the plunge!

mike@speedy likes this.
  3. Maximus84 Apr 1, 2016

Welcome! I can't really answer all of your questions but I'll give it a go! About a year and a half ago I was a complete noob (and still am compared to most folks here) but I can hopefully provide a bit of insight until someone more qualified comes along.

1) I believe you're talking about the modern reissue of the old Seamaster 300? I don't know much about these. As far as the 'Professional' moniker goes, it was added to the Soeedmaster after certification by NASA (I think).

2) I've tried using reference numbers in the past, often met with confused looks. This was from ADs such as Goldsmiths or Beaverbrooks in the UK, who don't really seem to have the same passion or knowledge as independents or OBs, in my experience. Descriptions should be fine, but for the nuances between models, the numbers can be useful, and they should have a catLogue to refer to, in order to ensure you're taking about the same thing!

3) Er.., what happened to 3!?

4) The movement of a watch is generally a number, and is referred to as a 'calibre'. Without looking it up, I believe the 8400 is Omegas new(ish) no-date co-axial automatic movement. It's worth doing a bit of research on the movements.

5) Some powerful things at play here. I remember always looking at Omegas in the jewellers window as a kid, not really knowing what the were, but knowing that I liked the Speedmaster line. I now have one as my first 'big' watch. That said, as an adult, if something sings to you, that says a lot. The new Seamaster 300 is a great watch, very smart and versatile. Orange is a bold choice. It may be your favourite colour, but will you still love it in 5/10 years?

My thoughts off the top of my head.

4. Bushido Apr 1, 2016

One thing to toss in regarding the Seamaster 300MC and its 8400 movement is that it is anti-magnetic to ">15,000 gauss." So, depending on your occupation, this may or may not be some added protection worth thinking over. While the other two are excellent watches, they do not have this specific feature.

5. watchstuff Apr 1, 2016

Thanks everyone for your responses so far! One thing - the helium valve. Found it interesting the 300 Master Co-Ax doesn't have it. Then again, I don't even go near swimming pools let alone deep sea diving. So whilst interesting, probably not that important, I guess!

@Bushido, thank you for pointing that out specifically. Did they add the >15,000 gauss in a 007 AT watch? I am sure I remember reading about it and thought it was cool. Didn't realise the Seamaster 300 MC had it too.

@Maximus84, 3 ... bloody hell. I am going to reason with myself that it was a typo, otherwise I'll wonder what 3 was supposed to be for the rest of the night! :) Thanks for your reply. Had a quick look, am I right that the Diver has 2500 movement and the 300 Co-Ax and PO 8400/8500, which are newer... which is probably important for something?! Good point re: 5/10 years too. I think I will, because I've lusted after it for 12 years, but it's throwing up as many questions as answers for me. D'oh.

@_Omega_, thank you for getting back to me. Think you're definitely onto something with this being the first. I'd love to own the orange PO and a more subtle black watch. Seems inevitable when I think of it that way ;)

6. Maximus84 Apr 1, 2016

Ha, if you ever remember what '3' was meant to be, let us know! With regards to the movements, the 2500 series , I believe, had a bit of a rough time, with certain issues needing rectification thought mid-life upgrades. I'm sure the current crop would be the 2500D, and eliminates these issues, however I have no knowledge on what the possible defects may have been, or what was done to rectify it. I believe the 8400/8500 contain a co-axial movement and I have seen debates as to whether this actually holds a tangible benefit. They doe seem to be thicker though.

You may have lusted after it for 12 years, but when I think back, my tastes 12 years ago (when I was 18/19) were very different to now, and I have a better appreciation (I think) of what I may still like in the future. Not wishing to disparage or derail your tastes or desires at all, but maybe a consideration. The best way is getting into an AD or OB and having a good look at every model you're interested in, and a few that you don't think you're interested in, to gauge where you're at. Good luck.

Edited Apr 1, 2016
    watchstuff likes this.
  7. watchstuff Apr 1, 2016

I think you've made a very good point re: future. Definitely will give that thought. I'm tempted to get one of the subtler watches and should I ever buy another watch, finally go for the orange if I still love it.

8. jcmartinez98 Apr 1, 2016

Seems like most of your questions were answered

I would just add that you should be sure to see the sm300MC (master co-ax) in person if you haven't already. At least for the blue one, I could never make myself like it as much on the wrist compared to how it looks in photos.

I opted for a planet ocean over the sm300MC to be my daily wearer primarily because of the date function on the PO.

Re: orange bezel, if it sings to you, go for it. Aluminum bezel scratches more than ceramic but dings and scratches also are what gives a daily watch its charm and personal patina.

Edited Apr 1, 2016
  9. sky21 Apr 2, 2016

Go with your gut for your first Omega, then buy the others when you get more money. Simple.

gostang9 likes this.
  10. Mothra Apr 2, 2016

I'm a staff scuba instructor and please take it from me, there's no non commercial diver on the planet who needs a hev. I also went through the pain of converting a movement from 2 to 3 level coaxial a la 2500 and it wound up costing over £500 in parts. If its not a 2500d, or if you cant tell, I'd avoid...

11. watchstuff Apr 2, 2016

Bob on. Trying really hard with doing that and it's got some results even in the last few hours; think I've managed to eliminate the Diver 300M -for now- but that often changes when I see its gorgeous dial. But the two occupying me most right now at the PO orange and the SM 300! Getting somewhere, little by little :)

@Mothra Thanks for your advice. I didn't think the valve would do much other than give way to an interesting tale if anyone ever asked. I imagine all Diver 300M (I might not be thinking about it as a frontrunner right now but god knows about two hours from now) available in stores today at the latest 2500D?

@jcmartinez98 Good point about see it properly. I have spent countless moments staring at the PO, but not many moments with the SM 300. I'll do a thorough check. I think if I get the orange bezel, I'm almost making a commitment that I will buy another, more subtle watch sometime. The grey ceramic with orange numbers feels to me if I get that, I'm kind of compromising what I really want the orange to get a more subtle look as well; meaning it feels like I'd just get the one watch if I went for ceramic. Ultimately, cool as ceramic is, orange simply isn't available so in that case, aluminium is better than ceramic for me, I guess.

12. Bushido Apr 2, 2016

Just to throw another complication (pun intended!) into your decision making process; have you looked at the new Omega PO reveals from Baselworld this year? It sounds like you really dig the orange and ceramic bezel, as do I. They showed a few different models you may also be interested in. The movements have been updated to offer META certification and thus all are anti-magnetic >15,000 gauss. Here's a couple pics taken from 'ablogtowatch' site of a couple in the new line:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

watchthirst and OmegaRookie like this.
  13. Mario89 Apr 2, 2016

I can't help too much with your questions other than i bought a Seamaster 300 Diver in black a week or so ago. Wanted the blue like 007's watch, but in the flesh i preferred the black. It's a gorgeous watch, very happy with it :)

image.jpeg

zrleopold likes this.
  14. _Omega_ Apr 2, 2016

That is one of the best pictures I've ever seen of that watch.

Mario89 likes this.
  15. Mario89 Apr 2, 2016

Oh, well thank you! :) Was taken with my iPhone. Going to get some pictures with my proper camera tomorrow :)

16. watchstuff Apr 2, 2016

@Mario89 That black dial is bloody gorgeous ::love::

Mario89 likes this.
  17. watchstuff Apr 2, 2016

I really, really liked that in black but saw a thread on here re: the use of rubber may be a problem a few years down the line?

18. Mario89 Apr 2, 2016

I fell in love with it as soon as i saw it at the Omega dealer and i find myself glancing at it everyday far more often than i need to.. :rolleyes:

19. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 2, 2016

:unsure: yep helium valve is of NO use to 99.999% of people... only if you LIVE in diving bells you will see benefits...its pure gimickry:cautious:... not very serious from omega

20. Bushido Apr 2, 2016

Honestly, I don't think any of us know. I looked into the type of rubber stated as being used and it appears to be natural. This would be problematic since natural rubber is quite susceptible to breaking down. However, another member found a statement by Omega saying that they have tested this composite to 10yrs worth of various wear without issue. So, the truth remains to be seen.