Forums Latest Members
  1. deep9400 Nov 6, 2013

I got this watch from my Dad. I am sorry about the quality of the images. It works but needs an expert to remove the obstruction from the second hand. Anyone that can give me some info would be much appreciated 2013-11-06 10.45.31.jpg 2013-11-06 10.46.00.jpg

2. credance Nov 6, 2013

I'm fairly sure that with this kind of picture quality nobody will be able to help. You could have just as well enclosed a drawing made in MS Paint. ;) I suggest you take the effort to provide better photos and then perhaps somebody will be able to identify the problem!

watchme and RocketBoySweden like this.
  3. RocketBoySweden Nov 6, 2013

HAHAHAHHAA! Best pictures, ever! ::rimshot::

4. deep9400 Nov 6, 2013

Better images Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is this watch and how old? The minute hand has desintigrated and is blocking the second hand from moving. I do not know how to open it and wondered if it is worth anything. IMAG0768.jpg IMAG0769.jpg IMAG0770.jpg

5. RocketBoySweden Nov 6, 2013

Yes, marginally better images. But nothing of worth, apart from the general shape of the wath itself, is palpable. One needs to see more, and a look inside might be a good thing if information is to be had. Try taking pictures with detail, not shoving the camera/phone close as possible without focus....

6. deep9400 Nov 6, 2013

I do not need patronizing replies about images and other detritus. Anyone can see a shape, a Omega logo and the face. I want some informed opinion about this timepiece. As for looking inside the thing, No No No. I can get a physical expert to open it not me. So if you cannot help please refrain from commenting and wasting my time. Kiss Kiss. original_pushka-vintage-chic-clock-cupboard-door-knob.jpg

7. ulackfocus Nov 6, 2013

We do not need images that look like they were shot from space and then magnified into fuzziness. If you want some informed opinion, we need to see the dial. An original dial is key to value and identification. It might be a redial and would throw off our assessment. If you can't help us help you, this thread will end.

We'll change your screen name to Deep6 then. :p

RocketBoySweden likes this.
  8. RocketBoySweden Nov 6, 2013

But to OP's defence the pictures is more clear watching them on my mobile, than they was in front of my computer. But still very hard to ascertain information from them, sadly.

9. ulackfocus Nov 6, 2013

If the OP didn't use the last line "So if you cannot help please refrain from commenting and wasting my time. Kiss Kiss" there wouldn't be a problem.

He's the guy coming asking for our help. Doubt he'll get much now. Act like a schmuck, you get treated like a schmuck.

10. RocketBoySweden Nov 6, 2013

Agreed, but we still need to give the guy a break. ;-) Though the OP has a odd way of asking for information, to be sure. B-)

11. prostie1200 Nov 6, 2013

Looks mighty similar to this model

_DSC3545.jpg

12. Habitant Nov 6, 2013

Geez, guys! A lot of people come here, asking opinion and help. It can be a bit of pain, to be sure. But I do think that 'we' were being a bit hard on the guy; it would be nice to see the collecting community being a bit more tolerant. Now, go on, everybody kiss and make up.;)
    It would be really nice if, instead, we'd advised him to bring the watch to one of the expert, Omega friendly watchmakers who inhabit this forum, where he could get the watch properly cared for. Rather than butchered, etc...
    So, deep9400, it's a nice old watch. The luminous material appears to have fallen out of the minute hand and is now jamming the second hand. You need to take it to someone civilised to help out with it. If you give us some idea of where in the world you are, someone here will suggest a good watchmaker - what you do with it after that is your affair.
    It appears to be an Omega from around the 1940s, with a steel case. The dial isn't in great shape. If you were to sell it on eBay, the return would likely be modest, so you may prefer to sell it 'as is' and take your chances - if selling is your ultimate goal.

rick42650 likes this.
  13. deep9400 Nov 6, 2013

Thanks Prostie 1200. I think that is it. Can you give me any info? As for other replies. Sorry seems like I wasn't expecting such a negative response for a a genuine inquiry. i thought I was on an Adobe forum. Anyway lets all hug!!

14. Habitant Nov 6, 2013

They're not that nice on the Adobe forums, believe me.

15. deep9400 Nov 6, 2013

Thanks Habitant. I live in the UK, Birmingham. I expected it would not be very valuable. But I am genuinely interested in it. My late father left me this box and I have 5 watches. A gold one from 1917, and one from the Soviet Union complete with hammer and sickle, made out of "girders" Ha Ha.

16. deep9400 Nov 6, 2013

As for selling it. I will I expect. After I borrow a decent camera to give people a clearer idea of it's condition.

17. prostie1200 Nov 6, 2013

Its from the pre war 1937-40 probably has a caliber 26.5 engine and worth taking to your friendly watch maker for his take on its condition.

SpikiSpikester and marturx like this.
  18. ulackfocus Nov 6, 2013

Correct, there are quite a few new members asking for help. Not all of them are as sarcastic- but when they are we give it to them right back.

The better the pictures, the better the help. Does Omega Forums get a percentage of the sale?

Habitant and deep9400 like this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 6, 2013

I can provide a little more information, since I happen to own a watch with the exact same case style.

From "Omega: A Journey Through Time", Ref. 2023:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You are going to need a watchmaker to clean that mess up for you. Not all will touch that luminous stuff. After all, it is real radium and still radioactive.

After that, you might want to consider a good quality redial on that watch. I think the dial might be too far gone to save.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  20. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Nov 6, 2013

All was said by Gator. Not a rare watch but nevertheless a nice one for those who are interested in pre war Omegas. I am not sure I would consider a redial. Difficult to say without better pics, and at the end of the day, it depends on owner's taste. If you go to a watchmaker also try to avoid case polishing, focus on movement servicing, removing the radium that has fallen out and probably hands relume. BTW the dial doesn' seem to be luminous. If that's the case, either it or the hands are not original.