Forums Latest Members

This just in...military content

1. calalum Jun 2, 2016

Through a confluence of factors, including a failed trade, an Omega purchase, making a forum friend, a tip to an available watch that I did not timely respond to (was out on the golf course), the OHPF deal falling through, some further chase, a lot of negotiating, and the usual other stuff, this watch arrived today. My understanding is that the Breitling 817 is a watch that was created solely for military use (there is no civilian counterpart), primarily for Italian army helicopter pilots. A limited number were made, and a very small number are known to be in collectors' hands. Fortunately for me, the pix that the seller (a big vintage chrono collector) sent, which scared me a bit, were just an indication that he, like me, takes awful pictures. The pic does not come close to showing the beauty of the watch. The dial is gorgeous but the crystal is scratched.

Breitling 817 crown.jpg Breitling 817 wrist.2.JPG I will post a movement pic later.

Here is the watch. Definitely a keeper. Need to find an appropriate strap but it is cool to have the original flex bracelet (to be worn over the pilot's jacket).

Special thanks to David (dgercp) who was instrumental in the opportunity.

Enjoy.

Nick

aeroengineer, MaiLollo, M.D. and 25 others like this.
  2. Fost Jun 2, 2016

A keeper for sure! Nice catch Nick! Just one question were the hands relumed or is it the natural shade for this model?

3. watchthirst Jun 3, 2016

The patina of those hands look immaculate. I'm sure everything in your way during the hunt, made this arrival that much sweeter.

4. rbob99 Jun 3, 2016

That's a great looking watch. Congratulations.

5. PaulC77 Jun 3, 2016

Terrific looking watch, wear in good health.

6. sabby.marol Jun 3, 2016

Wow ....A wonderful vintage piece of art.

Sabby

7. crl848 Jun 3, 2016

Yellow hands and green numbers are typical for this watch.

Fost likes this.
  8. crl848 Jun 3, 2016

[​IMG]

My 2. Congrats to the OP.

Edited Jun 3, 2016
    aeroengineer, D YOUNG, Gavin and 4 others like this.
  9. SteveP Jun 3, 2016

Fantastic piece-green with envy! This is the 2nd one of these I've seen for sale/sold in the same number of weeks-which is really unusual. (I'm pretty sure yours is not the same one I saw on another forum. :))

Either way-enjoy it-from your story it sounds like it was meant to be!
    Steve
    ps yes, the other one seemed to have similar colour traits also.

crl848 likes this.
  10. calalum Jun 3, 2016

And here are a couple of others with similar coloration. Not sure why the lume colors are different on so many of these watches, but I am confident that the dials and hands on these watches are original.

Military dials.JPG

aeroengineer, D YOUNG, Gavin and 4 others like this.
  11. calalum Jun 3, 2016

I saw that one as well. It was a bit thrashed and I had the opportunity for this one and there was no issue as to which to pursue. Just a coincidence, I suppose, that two rare pieces traded in a similar time period.

SteveP likes this.
  12. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Jun 3, 2016

Wow! Sweet pickup!

13. SteveP Jun 4, 2016

A lovely pair to be sure! I was lucky enough to have a similar Autavia Bund recently too-the dial/hand lume difference was certainly not as obvious as these-but the hands were definitely a yellow, against the green dial lume.
    Steve

14. OmegaCal66 Jun 7, 2016

Great watch , more pics please, is the Zenith yours too?

15. rpaddy Jun 11, 2016

Hello at all
    The hands are original, many italian military watches as Leonidas CP1 or CP2 and Breitling 817 show this color.
    May be in a services were replaced.
    This is my CP2
    IMG_3929.JPG

about the Leonidas CP2 there were two dial type, and in in second batch ( with subdial without the "three notces") the protetive paint apply over the dial, gave it this particular tones.

aeroengineer, D YOUNG and Fritz like this.
  16. erpin9 Jun 11, 2016

Beautiful watch. Similar in looks also to my Bulova Marine Star.

[​IMG]