Forums Latest Members

This is probably a stupid question about speedmasters...

1. drhombus24 Dec 4, 2017

Im new and really don’t know any better, so please forgive me. Is the Speedmaster professional the same as the “moonwatch.” On various used watch sites, the moon watch and speedmaster professional are different filters. I always thought the speedmaster professional was the moon watch, so I’m a bit confused. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. drhombus24 Dec 4, 2017

3. abrod520 Dec 4, 2017

Yes, the Speedmaster Professional is the Moonwatch, but there are other Speedmaster models that feature the "Professional" label on the dial (like the moonphase versions, which never went to the moon).

4. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 4, 2017

Visit Speedmaster101.com. The web page is written and updated by a respected collector and member of this forum, @Spacefruit.

Grab a beer and go through the sections headed 'Overview' and 'Assessment Guide'. That ought to point you in the right direction.:)
    (Note:The dial on the earlier Speedmaster references, up to the 105.003, simply states; Omega Speedmaster.)

The Speedmaster Professional runs from the introduction of the 105.012 reference.
    I know this because I only have one watch and it is a 'Pre-moon' 105.012-65 Omega Speedmaster Professional. On average I post a picture of it, on this forum, approx every 10 minutes or so.:D
    This thread needs a picture so I will post it yet again.
    20171105_123550-1.jpg

Although the 105.012 is a 'Pre-moon' Omega Speedmaster it is "the only confirmed reference to land on the moon"(quote from Speedmaster101.com)
    Confused??? Right... well I will leave you to research "Moonwatches" and "pre-Moon Watches" yourself. It's a subject that has been debated on this site, so you could also use the search icon at the top of this page.:thumbsup:

Cheers.
    Jonathan.

Edited Dec 4, 2017
  5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 4, 2017

I don't blame you! Omega is to blame for making the situation so confusing.

The most accepted definition of the moonwatch is three-subdial, plain black-dialed, handwound variants with cal. 321, 861, or 1861. You might include some of the display-back versions or sapphire-crystal versions, but the most accepted answer would be the hesalite crystal and non-display back.

Omega has used the term "PROFESSIONAL" on several variations of the above (like the many limited editions) and also on other watches that are not as closely related to the real Moonwatches (like the "Mark" Speedmasters), so you can't really say Professional=moonwatch.

And in recent years Omega themselves have also diluted the term "Moonwatch" by using it in the official names of entire ranges of watches that take some design cues from the traditional moonwatch, like the Sides of the Moon and the cal. 9300-derived watches. But outside the marketing department at Omega, nobody considers those to be moonwatches.

Mad Dog, Foo2rama, dan7800 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 4, 2017

Not my area of interest or expertise, but have a look at this thread for some discussion on the evolution of the movement from cal 321 used in actual watches that went to the moon to more recent calibres.

Oh, and just so you won't be disappointed - if you buy a "Moonwatch", it's pretty much certain that yours will never have been on the moon.......

:p

BrianMcKay and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  7. drhombus24 Dec 4, 2017

Thanks for all of the responses

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 4, 2017

Not all moon watches are professionals and not all pros are moonwatches in Omega marketing terms.

It’s even more confusing with collectors as we refer to some watches as both pre moons and moonwatches lol.

Generally on the forum a watch that looks like this is referred to as a moon watch. While it might be a premoon variant.
    51C0EF94-5380-4CA1-88CB-6AF322F61F7B.jpeg

While technically no 861 movement went on to the moon, one went around the moon and most of these are marked as a Moonwatch on the back, while the one that went around most likely was not. While technically only pre moons 321 movements went onto the moon! And there are pre moon 861’s.

Yeah fun times and not at all confusing.

9. mikesspeedy Dec 4, 2017

my two cents.

For you and me (non collectors) a moonwatch is an OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESIONAL today is the hard back Hesalite (plastic) front crystal, hand wind omega reference 311.30.42.30.01.005. As others have said only 12 men walked on the moon and not all of them wore one so you wont find a moon worn watch to purchase.
    The best you can get is as described above which is still made today and still used on manned space missions including EVAs. One was worn in space in August this year.

You can purchase it with a great presentation box which contains a strap change tool, a NATO strap. Velcro strap like the one used by NASA,, a lupe, and a metal paper weight.

here is a picture of mine purchased brand new in march this year, it came on a stainless steel bracelet and I change my strap ever now and then, this picture is on a black leather strap. I have shared it so you can see the back you are looking for . InkedP1030140_LI.jpg