Forums Latest Members

This forum should come with a health warning!

1. paulw Aug 28, 2018

I stumbled across this site when I re-discovered my old Seamaster languishing forgotten in a draw and wondered if it was viable for repair/refurbishment. After a bit of lurking for information I decided to join and perhaps participate, now after two weeks, I want to collect Omega watches and have begun to fear for the potential state of my bank balance!

I've only owned precisely two watches in the last 35 years, the aforementioned Omega which started acting erratically after 20 years of (non-serviced) abuse and my current Citizen Eco-Drive. Now I find myself; spending time on here going over the threads on fake watch identification, going to eBay auctions for old Omega watches on a daily basis, muttering to myself "how much, that's ridiculous", "who on earth would by that", "that so obviously a fake". I almost hit the 'Buy It Now' button a few times over the weekend, but have been so far able to resist. I've made a few bids but I'm never likely to win an auction as I only ever 'bargain shop' and there seems to be plenty of people out there who seem determined to pay over the odds IMO. As a regular eBay seller & buyer it certainly isn't the place to find bargains it used to be, but I've still ended up with 9 watches in my 'watch list'.

Anyway, how do I nip this potential addiction in the bud before I'm truly hooked, is there a support group, or do I just need to close my account and go cold turkey, or is it already too late?:)

Paul

Edited Aug 28, 2018
    Foo2rama, OHS, Kmart and 8 others like this.
  2. mr_yossarian Aug 28, 2018

Welcome Paul, and yes..it's too late :)

Foo2rama, Kmart, Paedipod and 4 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 28, 2018

I met all the “wrong” people when I joined this site. :DThey led me down a path to perdition paved with lots of nice watches. I was a willing pilgrim with cash burning a hole in my pocket. Of course, I had been buying new watches and a few vintage before I came here so I was already addict walking into a candy store. I am now on hiatus. Enjoying the jewels in my safe and considering strategy. Of course my beloved is also watching me like a hawk and reminding me of her financial priorities. :whistling:

The problem is that nice watches appear and POP they are gone. Do your research and be ready to grab what you like. Enjoy your acquisition before striking out again. Enjoy the watch not the acquisition process.

airansun, Foo2rama, Uniqez and 5 others like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 28, 2018

Hope this helps you go cold turkey :thumbsup:
    image.jpeg

Kmart, murph, Spruce and 3 others like this.
  5. paulw Aug 28, 2018

That's what I find strange as I'm a one watch person, never really seen the need for anything other than the one! My children, both adults, consider this to be one to many, neither owns a watch.
    Paul

6. paulw Aug 28, 2018

No help at all as that is exactly the style of watch I'd go for. I'll refrain from posting pictures of my Speedmaster, as it's in a totally shameful state - maybe some before and after pics if I get it seen to!

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 28, 2018

At one point I was buying a watch every 4-6 weeks. That went on for almost 3 years. This year I have only purchased 2 watches (one of which arrives this week).

You should buy a large watch case. Welcome to OF.

gostang9 and Larry S like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 28, 2018

Unfortunately, studies have found that "Pauls" are particularly susceptible to this disease.
    If you could do something nonredeemable we could ban you and that might help?

Kmart, murph, Rman and 5 others like this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 28, 2018

I had one watch for 30 years. And was fine with it.

Notice how I used the past tense...

Kmart, murph, ptfly and 5 others like this.
  10. paulw Aug 28, 2018

As opposed to my cardboard box in a draw :D.
    No way, I already have an OCD condition for filling unused storage!
    Paul

11. Joe_A Aug 28, 2018

I'm in a similar boat. ;)

I wore one watch nearly every day from 1984 when I bought it until late 2017. I liked it so much that, as the gold bezel was no longer available, I bought another one just like it perhaps three years ago. I paid $275 for the first one in 1984 dollars and I paid $275 for the second one in 2015 dollars. The original purchased watch was my everyday watch after 2015 or so . . . and the one with the "good" gold bezel was for special occasions.

And then I found watch forums, including this place.

In the past year or so, I started collecting a few pieces and I have become drawn to watch forums since. ;-)

On a positive note, I have also been "saved" or steered away from certain watches as a result of reading here and elsewhere.

A-Pair-of-7A49-7009s-2.jpg
    Edited Aug 28, 2018
  12. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 28, 2018

Cardboard box is the first step. Second step in a real watch box.

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 28, 2018

Same same here, it's just the two I have bought this year are Speedy Tuesday's. This new watch game is killing my vintage game :thumbsdown:

lando likes this.
  14. Dan S Aug 28, 2018

@paulw

Actually, it just gets worse with time. Check out the sub-forums on other watch brands. :)

murph and Spruce like this.
  15. paulw Aug 28, 2018

No, I refuse to go further down the rabbit hole, one marque is enough to try and get a handle on!
    Paul

16. Co-axial Aug 28, 2018

Do your homework and take your time. It's the.journey not the destination. I never had the guts to go vintage and got my watch new from AD. Vintage is wonderful but it needs time and patience to get correct. I am not patient. If your patient at a steady pace it will be a nice journey.

17. paulw Aug 28, 2018

I did actually wonder about not bothering getting my Seamaster sorted and putting the money to a new Railmaster, along with the watchmakers offering me cash for mine as is, might be a better option than going vintage.
    Paul

Co-axial likes this.
  18. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 28, 2018

Paul... Welcome... It's way too late. :D

But no regrets ! ;)

Spruce likes this.
  19. gostang9 Aug 28, 2018

Welcome to the madness!

...if any of us knew the outcome we likely would never have joined! Or, at least my wife would certainly have tried to stop me...
    ;)

paulw likes this.
  20. paulw Aug 28, 2018

Actually, forget that, get it refurbished, put it on eBay at an overinflated price and buy a new watch outright ::stirthepot::
    Paul