Forums Latest Members

This Fake Omega Seamaster Is Unbelievable | Watchfinder & Co.

1. Dedalus05 Jan 17, 2020

Edit- Apologies if this breaks any forum posting rules. Say the word and I'll delete it immediately.

Edited Jan 17, 2020
    MtnBkr, kgb33, RMA and 3 others like this.
  2. MCC Jan 17, 2020

Frightening how good the fakes are getting. better and better each year.

3. Kargol Jan 17, 2020

A few of my teeth dropped...

4. vicsdca Jan 17, 2020

A fake will never have the same finish as an original. Poor craftsmanship. Completely worthless. I would not even pay $50 for it. Sure you can fool others wearing a "superfake" but never the man in the mirror.

5. Kargol Jan 17, 2020

The problem is if you buy it and you think its original... Especially if you buy through internet, how will you get this sharp photos to check such small details?

mk2rick, queriver, Joe_A and 2 others like this.
  6. Kargol Jan 17, 2020

If I did that I would not have any watch in my collection.. Are you serious?

7. Dedalus05 Jan 17, 2020

Of course, but the danger is you might miss that it's a fake. The machining is the biggest giveaway to my eyes. The trouble is I need glasses to focus properly on anything close up; even my dinner I can't eat without glasses. Something like this could easily fool me if I didn't have a loupe to hand.

I don't own a loupe, but gonna buy one sharpish I think.

nzshadow likes this.
  8. MPWATCH Watch Lover Jan 17, 2020

Under a 10x loupe this watch would never pass

9. vitriol Jan 17, 2020

Even if you buy through internet, you are pretty safe.
    METAS Test Results is your friend.
    You need watch reference number, watch serial number and METAS access code (which looks to be random).
    I doubt fakers can guess or reproduce the correct serial and correct access code.

10. Kargol Jan 17, 2020

I lost you my friend.. Where can I find the Metas?

11. vitriol Jan 17, 2020

Create a free account on https://www.omegawatches.com/
    Then, bottom of the page - Master Chronometer / Access my test results. I will post a screen later.

12. Kargol Jan 17, 2020

ahh alright I found that. However this is only for chronometers

13. Walrus Jan 17, 2020

From what I’ve been reading is the fake serial numbers are “grouped” a small amount of real serial numbers used over and over. I’m not exactly sure how that works or what happens when you look them up but the known ones are all listed out there so at least you have a heads up what to look for.

It is a little crazy, I was looking through esty the other day and was stunned at the number of fake omegas being sold. They were horrible looking but being sold as authentic. Sellers “missing” redials etc I understand but these outright fakes are just nasty business. It’s also scary when you need a real one with you to compare to one of these “well made” fakes to better tell.

Dedalus05 likes this.
  14. vitriol Jan 17, 2020

Yes, it is for master chronometers only, watch on the video is master chronometer.

15. vitriol Jan 17, 2020

Where are those serial numbers listed out?

16. Wryfox Jan 17, 2020

Anyone spending serious money on watches should educate themselves as to the state of the technology of replicas.
    It's easy to do, it's not hidden. Just google replica watches and you'll get about a thousand responses. It's out in the open.

A couple of things I've learned researching this:

-Many sites post pictures of a real watch in their ads. This is 99% common with the low end stuff because posting pictures of their real crap would turn everyone away.

-The good sites brag about their replicas, and show details. They may even tell you where they are not the same as real, and tout newer versions being better than their last version.

-The REALLY good ones duplicate movements as well (as shown in the video posted above). In contrast to the video, which states it is only a 'top dressed' common movement, many replicas have part for part copies of the actual movement for that model. What you see in that video is actually NOT the best available replica.

-You can pay up to $1000 or more for the best replicas, with actual swiss made movements for those brands that used ETA std models.

- Virtually every brand is copied. Even Ball, which is a relatively minor player, has multiple replicas.

-The biggest new market today is copying vintage watches, given the big prices they are getting. There are some amazing copies of the stds from the 50s and 60s out there.

Most of the replica companies want to produce the latest models, as it will be the biggest demand, but also because there is low knowledge of details by the general market (ie easier to get away with a copy). There is a famous story from a couple years ago(can't recall source) where the replica actually came out BEFORE the real watch. They copied it off the early marketing pics.

A year ago I saw a replica when I was down in the Carribean that was an absolutely stunning copy of a Rolex. Comparing it to the one on my wrist...even under 10x eye loupe, it was incredibly difficult to see any difference. The colors, the finish, shape, size...everything perfect, even the weight was identical. What gave it away was the 'feel' of the band. The metal joints weren't polished internally, only on the surface. It wasn't as smooth as it should have been, but I'll bet after a few weeks it would have been just fine.

Caveat emptor

Edited Jan 18, 2020
  17. janice&fred Jan 17, 2020

if anyone spent any time in Kowloon they would see first hand how prolific the fake vintage and semi-modern Rolex sport watch market works. the flea market stalls as well as many small watch shops have loads of empty datejust and date model watches for sale cheap, complete with dials and hands. all those movements were scavenged out of those common-place models to make fake convincing subs, dwellers and 1016's with genuine guts. scary how the patina and wabi on these ultra-high end fakes are so convincing. they almost always come on either a genuine period correct bracelet or leather. they have even perfected the marking of the lug backs to mimic years of bracelet head link rub. there is also big business in SM300 and piepan recreations as those movements are readily available as well. there are two well-respected vintage watch shops in TST that are notorious.

18. Lenny Pepperidge Jan 17, 2020

Funding terrorism, possible liver failure from the use of cadmium, being "that guy." No thanks.

19. EauTerre Jan 17, 2020

Care to cite any source for this assertion ?

20. Walrus Jan 17, 2020

I found a lot on watch you seek but they shouldn’t be to hard to find if you search the particular watch you are looking and add “authentic” or something. The fakes are good but fortunately there are a lot of guys who report every bit of info they can as they study them. I came about it as I was searching for info on a Tag I bought and it opened some flood gates when I looked up the serial number and found the cluster of numbers that the fakes use. I then spread it out to omega and Rolex and found similar patterns.