This 18k Solid Gold Seamaster has us stumped... calling in the experts.

Posts
4
Likes
0
A friend of ours swears its an Aqua Terra, I've been told its 1980's, which would counter that.
Case is made in Italy. Does anyone know what is up with this watch?
 
Posts
35,637
Likes
39,892
It’s a Seamaster 120m in 18k solid gold, not an Aqua Terra as its from the 90s

It also has a half-link added in a weird place near the endlink rather than the clasp.
 
Posts
4
Likes
0
It’s a Seamaster 120m in 18k solid gold, not an Aqua Terra as its from the 90s

It also has a half-link added in a weird place near the endlink rather than the clasp.
wow! thanks for the quick response.
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
IMO that's an ugly watch ... and a lot of gold. Just sayin'. 😁
 
Posts
4
Likes
0
lots of gold....151.05 grams w/o the movement.
It's for sale if anyone was curious.
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
If the bracelet is compatible with other references, it might be worth more than melt value.
 
Posts
7,689
Likes
22,049
Too bad it can’t be worn with the back in the front: that case back and movement are actually beautiful IMO.
 
Posts
2,332
Likes
1,455
Clean it up and put it on a leather strap. Tone down the bling
 
Posts
3,577
Likes
13,519
If the bracelet is compatible with other references, it might be worth more than melt value.

Well, melt value plus whatever one of those movements go for, to be fair. 😁
 
Posts
7,773
Likes
14,365
In your opinion, what would you value this watch at?
Well, if there is 151 grams of 18k gold that means there is 113.3 grams of 24k gold. Today's price of gold is US$58.63 per gm, so there is 113.3 x $58.63 = $6,643 worth of gold. You won't get that because there are refining costs. At the best you might get 85-90%, so $5,647 to $5,979 net value to you. That's far more than the collector value of this watch would be. It's more valuable dead than alive.
Edited:
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
Well, if there is 151 grams of 18k gold that means there is 113.3 grams of 24k gold. Today's price of gold is US$58.63 per gm, so there is 113.3 x $58.63 = $6,643 worth of gold. You won't get that because there are refining costs. At the best you might get 85-90%, so $5,647 to $5,979 net value to you. That's far more than the collector value of this watch would be. It's more valuable dead than alive.
Agree. I was going to say $6k on a good day.

My only question was whether the bracelet might be particularly desirable to collectors because of a possible connection with a more collectible watch. But nobody has suggested that's the case.
 
Posts
10,745
Likes
16,730
Agree. I was going to say $6k on a good day.

My only question was whether the bracelet might be particularly desirable to collectors because of a possible connection with a more collectible watch. But nobody has suggested that's the case.
Is it though? I imagine it’s 18mm so which more collectible watch are you thinking of?
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
Is it though? I imagine it’s 18mm so which more collectible watch are you thinking of?
No, I don't personally know of any particular reference. It's just the type of thing I'd research before melting it down.
 
Posts
10,745
Likes
16,730
No, I don't personally know of any particular reference. It's just the type of thing I'd research before melting it down.
Oh ok. I thought you were suggesting it might be desirable as it’s in the pattern of the 1603/825 as seen on the SMP, and there are solid gold versions of that but I wasn’t sure if you realised it was mid sized is all. As you say it might fit something else though I can’t think of anything personally. As you suggest melt is the last resort.
Edited:
 
Posts
565
Likes
389
The lighting in the pictures make me think the band is not 18K ........ you'll know for sure when its tested by the purchaser.
 
Posts
2,677
Likes
3,151
lots of gold....151.05 grams w/o the movement.
It's for sale if anyone was curious.

Best I can do is $5
 
Posts
10,745
Likes
16,730
Best I can do is $5
Damn I thought I'd got a deal at $4, I'll go to $6 if I must!