Forums Latest Members
  1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 3, 2012

Just visit a local pre-owned watch store and I was offered this solid gold Seamaster for USD 1100.
    Should I buy it? (Sorry the quality of the picture not good, I take it with phone camera)

SM solid gold front1 MR.jpg

SM solid gold front2 MR.jpg

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 3, 2012

SM solid gold inner CB MR.jpg

SM solid gold mov MR.jpg

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 3, 2012

The ref is 165 008, but can not find in Omega Vintage database. Caliber is 711

The closest that I got for comparison is BA 165 0003:

Seamaster
    Gents' leather strap
    Dimensions: Ø34 mm
    Reference BA 165.0003
    International collection 1962 - 1969
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 552
    Created in 1958
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand

Case 18K solid yellow gold
    Case back Screw-in
    Dial With gold "Dauphine" hands and hand-rivetted gold hour markers
    Crystal Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet Leather
    Water resistance 30 meters

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 3, 2012

Interestingly I found information for BC 165 0008, but that's for DEVILLE!
    I wonder whether the dial has been swapped or is it just common practice for Omega to sell to certain region with different Collection name (in this case Seamaster instead Deville)?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2012

Swiss Made is written rather high up on the dial, no idea if its a redial or not but the dial looks far newer than the movement which looks rather scummy.

6. ulackfocus Nov 3, 2012

It is absolutely a redail. I don't like the rest of the watch either. Pass on it.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 3, 2012

OK I will pass. I also suspect a redial work. One screw that hold movement to the case is also in bad shape.

Thank you :thumbsup:

8. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 3, 2012

Respectable Member Privateday7

It is always good to consult this forum, before you part with your hard-earned dollars.

In some parts of the world more than others, one tends to find more frankens and fakes, being sold on the flea-markets or even second-hand watch shops. It is always good to be wary.

In my case, I have been looking for an authentic factory-original Omega diver of the 60's and early 70's. I would have got one some while ago, if I had not consulted this forum. Because of this forum, I have got nothing till today. It is lucky or else, I would have already landed with a franken or a fake.

As for the watch that you have just posted, without the honest opinions of enthusiasts and experts here, very likely you would have put the crap on your wrist or amongst your collections.

Thank-you.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

Dear respectable Seamonster,
    Thank you for your wise advice. Indeed, I found the expert members of this forum are very helpful. ....and I learn to be a little bit wiser Omega collectors everyday.

Healthy skepticism I think is the rule of the game.
    In case of my own strategy as newbie, I try to learn as fast as possible. I try to practice on low priced items first. It seems for Indonesian market, vintage Omega priced below USD 300 is a liquid market where demand outstripped the supply. I try to trust my hunch and learn the reputation, knowledge and integrity of the local sellers. I have already got burned several times in past month but hopefully I can recover them in the future.

For more valuable Omega vintage priced above USD 1000, definitely I must be patient and looking for wise opinion of respectable members in here.

Warm regards and Thank you,
    Herianto

ps: Is it your focus and passion for 60-70 Omega diver watch that make you choose Seamonster nickname ?

10. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 4, 2012

The watch is an absolute franken and a poor one at that. Thankfully the weight of opinion was against the piece.

Cheers

Desmond

11. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 4, 2012

Respectable Member Privateday7

It is good for you to consult this forum, before opening your wallet. Especially in this world of today, there are too many 'overqualified watchmakers', whether in Djakarta or elsewhere. Too many sellers want to make a quick bob and they have no conscience. Dogs have.

I use 'seamonster' because I am attracted to the outside cover of an Omega diver watch. I have never owned an Omega diver watch and the only diver watch I have owned is a Sea-Dweller and it is now with my son. He loves it. This watch escaped from being sold because I gave it to my father-in-law, long before 2005. Before he was hospitalized, he returned the watch to me and I gave it to my son. He takes good care of the watch.

I picked a Sea-Dweller then because it is the only Rolex watch with a small story, on the outside of the back-cover. However, I love the Rolex Day-Date most because it brings back memory of the first faulty Rolex to be put on the market, when they introduced the model reference 6511. Apart from this, the calendar helps with the Day spelt in full.

As for Omega Seamaster diver, I prefer ones with a small story to tell on the outside of the back-cover than another with just a small monster and logo. Usually I love Omega dress watches, like the Seamaster and Constellation. However today, since there are too many molested ones on the market, I will have to forget about them, unless they are forum-approved.

Thank-you.

12. greasemonkey Nov 4, 2012

hi, as newbie to this forum and indeed omega watches i an unqualified to comment on the watch. but if you allow as you have the knowledgable members of this forum to advise you as i did you will not go wrong.they were very helpful to me.good luck with your next find..cheers..greasemonkey

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

Thanks....I have already make mistakes with my penny stock watches....would not repeat for higher value watches.