Forums Latest Members

Thinking hard about building a vintage Seamaster 300

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 12, 2016

The watch would be used for every day wear not trying to build a gaff watch. I have some Seamasters in my collection that have the correct movements. I see the kits that are all Omega new parts on the net and ebay
    Damn I am tempted to build one I have a vintage original Seamaster 300 that is very collectable that is not a beater but a new put together would be fun project for me plus I would not have to worry about damage on the new example
    Any Thoughts?

Edited Jun 12, 2016
  2. watchlovr Jun 12, 2016

Do it.

stomart, OMGRLX and ErikR like this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC Jun 12, 2016

[​IMG]

Giff2577 and OMGRLX like this.
  4. rbob99 Jun 12, 2016

Do it. You can wear without worry.

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 12, 2016

I have been running some $$ numbers so far I come up with 2200 hundred and some change for the parts that is with no bracelet that is no issue for me I would have to use this Omega Seamater cal 565 movment the cal 565 in this one looks new and runs great If I am lucky I may be able to bring the cost down to around 2000 In the morning I will check some supply houses for parts sometimes I luck out and find better prices.
    I have I budget of 2500 to bring this project home time will tell..... Only down side is losing the Seamaster in the picture

a21f0b9c-d408-4aee-9b1d-81cc2809e725_zpsvom4fkix.jpg
  6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 12, 2016

I'm confused. Your planning to build a "vintage SM300". Aren't you actually building a Watchco style assembly using a Franken movement and new service parts? Sorry, but I don't see any "vintage" in your put together project.

7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 12, 2016

New parts vintage movement VINTAGE style new parts call it what ever you wish it will be a daily wearer that will be rode hard
    I will think of my project as a Seamaster 300R "reprocure"

Edited Jun 12, 2016
    christhomas likes this.
  8. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jun 12, 2016

Your very own watchco sm300. Do it, and wear it in good health. :)

nlogax likes this.
  9. drainaps Jun 12, 2016

Go for it. I'm in exactly the same situation. I passed on a Watchco a few months back because I didn't know the seller and I couldn't trade F2F, and I'm banging my head on the wall with how prices have behaved ever since.

10. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 13, 2016

I hear you I would not buy a put together watch unless I would be able to do a F2F. I want to build one as a daily beater type watch It is obvious a lot of people frown on these watch projects. I have no issue with that. Now if someone tries to pass one off as a original that I would take issues with. The way I see it if you sent a original Seamaster back to Omega Ch for overhaul what type cases and dials would they use?? I figure the same stuff Omega PARTS

11. littlesheep81 Jun 13, 2016

Just Do It... and please post photos afterwards... :p

12. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 13, 2016

I will my project may take a little time. I know a few retired watchmakers and parts hoarders that may have original dials and cases laying about. If I can call in some favors I may get LUCKY. Plus their prices would be much lower $$$ for the parts. However they usually want some trade bait in return I have no issues with that..

littlesheep81 likes this.
  13. ChrisN Jun 13, 2016

Although your picture doesn't have great resolution, that looks a nice watch with original dial and a fair case. Would be a shame to lose it for this build.

I'm not sure everyone frowns on these, many people including myself have one, and I believe that Omega will do this for you. From what I understand they will recase a sixties watch into an SM300 and still count it as a full Omega. What they won't do in my understanding is take a bare movement and put it into an SM300 case.

$2500 would be a good price for this as I think the parts alone must be close to that and whoever services the movement will need to be paid. If you're thinking to fit the dial, hands and so on yourself and have not done it before, there are a few things that may not be easy so, good luck. Even trimming the new stem could give you problems.

Now see you've just posted that you have a Watchmaker friend so, the last paragraph may be moot.

Regards, Chris

Giff2577 likes this.
  14. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jun 13, 2016

I enjoyed building my WatchCo style Seamaster 300 and I say go for it but please find a different donor movement as the Seamaster you have is far to nice to be sacrificed.

Tritium and OMGRLX like this.