Forums Latest Members

Thinking about this El Primero Rainbow. What do you think?

1. High Hope Jun 5, 2020

I have been pining for an El Primero for some time, but am specific about what I'd like: A Mango (fat chance, Japan has a NIB buy it now for $15,000) or a Rainbow fly-back, black with multicolor dials. To be honest, the Mango might be a little over the top for me, sort of like a Speed Yellow 911 Carrera: cool for a while then you might think, WTF was I doing? ::shy::

So, I found this one, in Japan. It is BIN for $3,200 +/-, shipping included. Pros, it is what I want. Cons, it seems a little beat, though most of my watches take on a similar appearance over time. No service history. No box or papers, but those can be sourced on eBay for $200.

I was thinking that in this Covid market I'd offer $2500, maybe settle on $2800? Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. timoss Jun 5, 2020

Too expensive for the condition. You can do better.

High Hope likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 5, 2020

Honestly worn tool watch. I like it.
    Not up on prices but if it’s priced to match it’s condition, I would jump on it.

High Hope likes this.
  4. JwRosenthal Jun 5, 2020

I think this one has been up a while- for good reason. I’ve been lusting after them for a while and have done the reading- these are not watches you can pick up on the cheap and try to fix up- they cost to maintain and parts are not easy to source. So if it’s not exactly in the shape you want, it will cost you to get there.

High Hope likes this.
  5. nzshadow Stowaway Jun 5, 2020

I LOVE IT.

I had the pleasure of trying one on a few years back (dealer asking AUD$5K which I did not have at the time). It was remarkably comfortable & just so dam solid. I have wanted one ever since.

I would.

High Hope and STANDY like this.
  6. High Hope Jun 5, 2020

Thanks for the responses. I haven't bought a well-used watch before, and the condition might take the charm off it a bit. @timoss, what would be a good price, or better still, do you have a lead on another?

7. JwRosenthal Jun 5, 2020

Keep in mind it will need a service and these (like Swatch Group watches) require a watchmaker with a Zenith parts account- plan on $700-1k from what I have read for a service...I’m sure those who actually own them and aren’t just day-dreamers like me can be more specific about servicing.

amcclell and High Hope like this.
  8. High Hope Jun 5, 2020

I have a TAG Link Calibre 36 with the Zenith movement, it has been a solid, accurate watch for probably 20 years, my daily for most of that time. I've had it serviced within the past five years, IIRC, and the service at TAG I think was in the region of $6-700. She's a well-worn old standby:

ETA: @JwRosenthal, I posted before reading your last post. Yes, the service was rather pricey. :eek:
    [​IMG]

Andsan and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. timoss Jun 5, 2020

I have seen them in the last year or so close to the asking price you quoted but in better condition.

JwRosenthal and High Hope like this.
  10. High Hope Jun 5, 2020

Thanks. If you see one pop up send me a PM, thanks.

11. timoss Jun 5, 2020

12. High Hope Jun 5, 2020

Yes, that seems infinitely better than the Japanese Rainbow I'm looking at. Thanks,
    Chris

13. timoss Jun 5, 2020

$3000 to $4500 should get you one in great shape. Just be patient.

High Hope and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. wristpirate Jun 5, 2020

You can do better for that price. Unless of course you're a collector who prefers worn watches that show their age.

15. High Hope Jun 5, 2020

;)
    I didn't think I was a collector, I just had a number of watches that I've admired and acquired over the years. Then one day it dawned on me, Well, shite! I guess I am a collector. Time for a proper watch box, a bunch of straps, tools, the whole catastrophe. Fortunately I kept all the boxes, books, cards, etc., the're taking up spaces all over the house.

So, yes, you're correct. I would never be happy w/ a beater Rainbow. I'll hold out. Thanks for the reality check. And, if you see a good one at a reasonable price, send me a PM. Thanks.
    Chris

JwRosenthal and wristpirate like this.
  16. JwRosenthal Jun 5, 2020

On second thought, you want this beater Rainbow- and if anyone finds a good one send ME the PM;)

High Hope likes this.
  17. asrnj77 Jun 5, 2020

while I think $7700 is still too much for a mango it’s better than your original price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenith-El-...040757?hash=item342959a735:g:UpIAAOSwsbhd1JfPPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

High Hope likes this.
  18. amcclell Jun 5, 2020

That is pretty darn close - I have a first gen El Primero 3019 in for service now with a very reputable independent watchmaker, who was Rolex trained on the 4030 Zenith-based movement. He has lots of experience with El Primeros, which is why I sent it to him instead of the watchmaker that I normally use. The basic labour was $700, plus $115 for a mainspring and sliding pinion - Zenith parts are not cheap! With the taxes added (Canada) it was just over $900, so these are not for the faint of heart. I have been advised that with the 36k beat, you want to keep them well maintained if you are going to wear them.
    The watch in this post looks pretty rough to me and I have seen much better in that price range. I bought a regular 1993 Rainbow last year from someone on this forum that was in pristine condition, with a box and booklet for less that the asking price of the beat-up flyback in this post. Be patient and you will find something better in your price range. As an aside, the bracelets on these are super comfortable.

Edited Jun 5, 2020
    High Hope likes this.
  19. High Hope Jun 5, 2020

My mistake, I saw the BiN number $15k and didn't realize it was $ Canadian. It is a great find for the right person, but sadly, that person isn't me. I've been blowing my watch budget this year as it is. And, I'm not sure I want a NiB Mango at $7,700 (if it sells for hat.)

20. Tonyash Jun 10, 2020

You can definitely do better than that Rainbow Flyback for the money. Mine came from Japan and cost me around $AU4200 delivered. I have managed to lose the lume pip in the last few months but my watch is in much better condition overall. Also that Rainbow has an incorrect bezel insert, from the non-coloured variant, the correct bezel should be red on the right hand side, as per attached photo of mine before the lume pip went awol. Finding a correct insert is not an easy, or cheap, affair. Better buying a watch with the right insert to begin with. Cheers.

OvJbAZoyR1S+Zqd08w58fA.jpg
    dougiedude, ELV web and JwRosenthal like this.