Forums Latest Members
  1. Galloping_Geezer Aug 9, 2020

Howdy gang. In a previous thread, I asked for your guys opinion on getting parts and accessories for your omega that is a different metal than the watch case. The consensus was that its better to have hardware match in precious metal tones instead of having mixed metals. I have a gold-filled seamaster with a nonomega gold crown. Ofrei sells a crown and female post that would fit but its stainless steel.

It dawned on me that If I was to buy the crown, I can go to a place that provides gold plating services with hopes that they can turn the crown from stainless steel to gold plated.

Has anyone ever done this? Were you successful? Anything I should take into consideration prior to getting it done?

2. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 9, 2020

Would need to be plated with nickel first I believe. Gold plate would probably be too thin, and wear out quickly.

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 9, 2020

You can do a site search here for replateit. A lot of discussion has been done about these services, so maybe that will help. they are in Montreal, and there are others that do it as well

Galloping_Geezer and janice&fred like this.
  4. DON Aug 9, 2020

There are other parts suppliers

Try Jules Borel

Canada - Perrin

UK Cousins

If need be. Buy an Omega crown that works with your case, but of a different style.

Cheaper than the gold plated idea

DON

5. Franco Aug 9, 2020

Plating on a high wear part like a crown , is not a great idea. Will have to be thick nickel, followed by thick gold

mac_omega and Galloping_Geezer like this.
  6. Galloping_Geezer Aug 9, 2020

Darn. I was hoping this would be my solution for a gold crown.

Does anyone know how strict you have to be when replacing the crown? I assume you can't just switch it for any Omega crown but I don't really care about having the exact crown my model had but just something that is going to be compatible. Would any omega crown of equal size fit the same female end post i have on my watch?

7. michael e Still learning. Aug 10, 2020

Which reference is your watch? I have 1000s of crowns.
    Thanks, Michael

OmegaP99 likes this.
  8. Galloping_Geezer Aug 10, 2020

Sent you a dm!

9. Canuck Aug 10, 2020

I once checked with an electroplater, as I had a watch case I wanted chrome plated. I was told the minimum charge was $65.00. This was likely 30 years ago. Nyet!

Bencherman likes this.
  10. FMH62 Aug 18, 2020

I have a 1985 Seamaster automatic full size in gold. I need a replacement gold crown, early type that will be waterproof. Would you have one?

Frank

1DCA9E7B-2E1E-413A-95F1-6257CB12D10F.png
    Edited Aug 18, 2020