Forums Latest Members
  1. cantinker Dec 14, 2016

Hello all,
    As the title says, I'm thinking about a Speedmaster. The one I'm looking at is a ref 145.022. It's described as a "tool watch" and it shows. Attempted removal of the caseback with a chisel. Wear, scratches, dings on lugs, sides, etc. But hey, it adds character, right? On to the bezel. I'm assuming it has been replaced as it's condition doesn't match the case. Correct? The dial appears to be in good shape (to my untrained eye) but the second hand is missing lume. I'm out of my depth regarding the movement condition (crappy photo doesn't help either), and if the pushers and crown are correct.
    And now I'd very much appreciate your comments/observations about this watch.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

2. ulackfocus Dec 14, 2016

MISSIONS is spelled correctly so it passes my station's inspection. Move to the next desk please!

abrod520 and efauser like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 14, 2016

1980-84 is my guess. Looks alright to me depending on price. Can't comment on the movement being in good shape. Everything looks alright to me. Parts look original actually.

Tool watch means it is a watch designed to be used as a tool. Speedmasters to time things. Rolex submariners are also tool watches made for diving. It's a common term for a wide variety of watches.

4. cantinker Dec 15, 2016

Thanks for your replies. The seller has stated it's from 1991.

5. Maganator Dec 15, 2016

It depends what you're looking for.

A 90s watch is to young to be vintage and too old to be considered newish.

Do you need it to be pristine or are you content with a few battle scars?

6. cantinker Dec 15, 2016

I guess my main concern about the watch was "correctness". Obviously if all the parts were original that would be great but I have no problem with a replacement that is "true" to the period and aesthetics of the watch.
    It hadn't occurred to me that a 90's watch would fall between vintage and new. Weren't the 90's just a few years ago?.... Boy I'm feeling old...

7. Badwolf Dec 15, 2016

Does it come with a strap? They're not cheap if you want an original stainless, or a good quality leather one.

Has it been serviced recently?

8. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 15, 2016

Why have you chosen a Speedmaster? Do you enjoy the historical significance? Are you just diving into something you've seen a lot? I like to hear motivation behind purchases, not that there is a wrong answer but we love to hear those little details! The Speedmaster is a chronograph, which has the application of stopwatch. When you mix the stopwatch function with a Tachymetre bezel, you give the user the ability to track speed through time. Tool watch speaks to the pieces application. As @Foo2rama has stated, Submariners are for diving and utilize a pressure tested case designed specifically for under water use, and a non-rotating bezel to ensure you know how long you've been under. Daytona's are for timing just like the Speedy, just produced by Rolex. Lots of tool watches were inspired by the Military, pilot watches in particular had contrasting dials, larger crowns, and larger dials to help pilots a long with their daily flying activities. There are several true experts that will dive into (lol dive...) the finer details, but you should be familiar with the different types of tool watches.

As far as the watch goes, I would like to begin by reiterating I know nothing about Speedys. There are several top experts apart of this forum, so for the details I will leave their knowledge and expertise. General condition assessment however, I would challenge yourself to find something without the scratch to the case back. Seems to bother more buyers/collectors than you'd think. With the internet, the collecting community has the ability to find high condition examples, so be one of those high condition owners so the piece can move with ease if/when the time presents itself. There is a fine line with character, and a mistreated watch. I think once the scratch/ware reaches a certain depth you have to call it quits. Hope this general information helps you a long the way! I see you mention being more concerned with correctness over age, that's good, but what's even better is when you put the two together.

Best of luck in your acquisition & feel free to utilize the forum's search function to dig for more information. Speedmaster threads are scattered across the lands of OF..... You'll find no lack of information here. I've also read www.Speedmaster101.com and it's assisted me in very basic knowledge to get started.

Happy Hunting,

Thomas

9. cantinker Dec 15, 2016

It comes with a 849 bracelet and a black NATO. Not sure yet regarding a recent service. How difficult would it be to find additional links for the bracelet?

10. cantinker Dec 15, 2016

Wow! Great post but I'll have to reply later....got this pesky work thingy that takes up must of my day.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 15, 2016

Doubt it. Drop r dial with newer bezel. Serial and dial say a little older then 91.

12. abrod520 Dec 15, 2016

When did they start engraving the serial number on the lug again? Dial seems too old for that - I think it should be the short S 3590 dial instead. Definitely doesn't add up with the bezel either

13. cantinker Dec 15, 2016

Well since you ask... My interest in watches started when I was around 8. I pried of the back of my grandfather's pocket watch and was fascinated by the movement (and also ruined the hairspring in the process). Since then I've been through phases... Mostly mechanical, all had a feature or look that interested me at the time. About 5 years ago I started looking at late 50's Seamasters and was hooked. I liked the history of the brand and the simple clean design. I then decided to focus solely on Omega. And once you start looking into Omega watches the Speedmaster quickly shows up on your radar. The dial... history....NASA association.... the fact that a stopwatch would be handy for my job....it ticked a lot of boxes. So the Speedmaster wallpaper when up on my desktop and I've been reading and scrolling through the sales section ever since.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 15, 2016

I was thinking the same thing but someone spanked me down a few months back and said the speedies got them earlier then I would have thought.

I think that dial and bezel had overlap in the early -mid 80's.

Logic would dictate the bezel could be the wrong piece and not the dial. Caseback is not a 3590 though. I guess it could be a giant mishmash.

15. SpeedyAV Dec 16, 2016

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 16, 2016

http://chronomaddox.com/speedy_dial_details.html

Drop r stopped in 89. I know there is at least 1 error on that chart (short S went to 76) but I'm pretty sure he is right on that change with the r. Maybe the watch was sold originally in 91 and sat around a bit.

Looks like they dated it with this chart.
    http://chronomaddox.com/romans.html

Either way it's a pretty watch at $2,200.

So they case back may be older and the dial is a prettier older dial. Not a bad deal. Or could be all original not a huge amount of hard data on these years.

Edited Dec 16, 2016