Things that people don’t know how to do anymore

- Buy and read a news paper
- Search for information (rather than having it pushed to you) to foster critical thinking
- take time (slow down your life)
- write on a real paper (ideally with a fountain pen)

Rip a CD to a USB A stick so you could load it to iTunes.

Make a flint tipped spear and use it to kill a woolly mammoth! 😜

I don`t mind what people = youth don`t know how to do anymore, firstly technology moves on and I don`t need to know how to shoe a horse. Secondly What they don`t master it was our job to teach them.

What I really don`t like is people who forgot their upbringing in the 60 and 70. We where taught to be respectful and polite to everyone, and some people have forgotten that. They harass and yell at especially young waiters and cashiers.
Due to a general lack of wooly mammoths of recent it’s quite understandable that this skill has been left to languish of late………but if the eggheads get their shit to together they may well succeed in cloning them, in which case this skilll may yet come in handy again!

- Buy and read a news paper
- Search for information (rather than having it pushed to you) to foster critical thinking
- take time (slow down your life)
- write on a real paper (ideally with a fountain pen)
Finding a newspaper worth the price and worth the effort of reading it is a sufficient challenge, nothing from that miserable old bastard Rupert Murdoch qualifies

Finding a newspaper worth the price and worth the effort of reading it is a sufficient challenge, nothing from that miserable old bastard Rupert Murdoch qualifies
Re the Rupert Murdoch aka Mr Burns comments 👍👍👍👍

Use a phone call to find accurate information.

When we instruct trainees in the office to make a phone call for a specific purpose, they invariably disregard the instruction and insist on going on the internet- where we know in many instance they may come across inaccurate or obsolete information.

Couldn't agree more, 'manners maketh the man' was what my father instilled in me. I had this conversation with my son recently and times are different, his female friends neither expect, or want this, they are equal they say, while i agree, I do think there is something just nice about old fashioned manners.
Agreed, modern women neither want nor need male manners…..

Hey you rubbishers of the young - it is all relative to the passage of time and social change.

There would have been times long ago when older generations complained that younger people could not
. write a letter in copperplate
. saddle a horse
. use a bow and arrow
. load a flintlock gun
. drive a horse drawn carriage or cart
Nope but the kids today can play a mean game of Fortnite…..

Well, Thankfully, I'm not limited to the English languages. It is actually quite interesting to read about the same subject from different national perspectives in the different languages.

Use a phone call to find accurate information.

When we instruct trainees in the office to make a phone call for a specific purpose, they invariably disregard the instruction and insist on going on the internet- where we know in many instance they may come across inaccurate or obsolete information.

We have a computer system at work that has conditions and procedures. It has a government interface and a public interface. The amount of times I have found younger employees using the public interface because they have googled what they are looking for on a government computer.
(All they have to do is open the system on their computer to get access to the gov interface that they need to get the procedure they need to follow)

Walk to school.
I can remember walking to school about 60 years ago with my mum and a lot of other kids and mums and a jackdaw followed us in both directions a few times.
When I got home from school there was nothing on TV till about 5 O'clock but Elizabeth Montgomery in Bewitched was always worth seeing even as a 6/7 year old.

…change the oil in a car…
Winner winner chicken dinner! 👍

My beloved daily driver 2007 Ford Police Interceptor that I purchased new in 2007…currently have 192,000 miles on it…

IMG_8285.jpeg

We have had tenants in their 20s who didn't know how to change a lightbulb. But I think that's due to being sheltered for their entire lives, not because people don't know how to change lightbulbs anymore. You don't need to change lightbulbs as often now, but you still need to change them.
Interesting. My parents taught me a lot, but never to fix a bike puncture or change a light bulb. I reckoned that I was supposed to find out myself.

I don't drive much at all, but one day my father, who will be 80 next month, said I should move the car if someone came back to the carpark. (He double parked). I got in the driving seat and did not know how to start the car, never mind move it. He has a lexus SUV thingy with lots of screens and buttons but I didn't see any ignition. Fortunately his errand did not take long.

My ‘86 SAAB had the ignition in the centre console. It was fun watching someone try and start that car.

Agreed, modern women neither want nor need male manners…..
Yes they do. Some of them may not realise it, but it still works, I've been told.