Forums Latest Members

They said the dial was relumed and I bid anyway: a gilt 5512 arrives (more photos added)

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 5, 2022

Holy moly… what the heck just happened here?

JwRosenthal and airansun like this.
  2. airansun In the shuffling madness Dec 5, 2022

I’m blaming @Syrte . She knows what to do at a dinner party when two guests get into it with each other — charmingly change the subject to something more agreeable to everyone.

(Thank you for asking @Syrte ! I’d wondered if anyone noticed.)

duc, Aludic, Scarecrow Boat and 4 others like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Dec 5, 2022

We step away for a couple hours and we come back to smoldering earth!

sheepdoll, watch3s, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 5, 2022

Wear as is as long as you like it the way it is. If that changes or you need to sell it, start with these thoughts again. There will always be somebody, who is a " Magician " with vintage Lume. Your Dial all original with some light marks should be around $ 10000 plus . Yours, relumed and with good original paint, not under 6000 plus.Vintage Rolex dials in rare references are around 40% plus of the watch value: you did very well. So, I'd change that lovely message into: More Brains result in saved purchase money. And : If you read more than one forum, you know, that OF is exceptionally good.

Fallout Boy, YYTIN, marco and 5 others like this.
  5. airansun In the shuffling madness Dec 5, 2022

Just did this. Using Phillip would avoid those tricky trips thru Customs. :thumbsup:

marco, Aludic and Larry S like this.
  6. nkhandekar Dec 10, 2022

I am glad to see some appreciation for the Blue Riders here.

I think this is a charming 5512, and one that allows us to think about restoration as a viable way to add to appreciation of the watch. I don't see anything wrong with adjusting the lume on the dial, provided the dial itself is not affected. I also see nothing wrong with doing some restoration work to the case, especially the crown guards. Appreciate the patina and use restoration to stop yourself from being distracted by damage.

airansun and Larry S like this.
  7. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 11, 2022

Dan S likes this.
  8. 140dave Dec 11, 2022

Agreed :thumbsup:
    It is all about the enjoyment of the watch. If it annoys you, fix it! To heck with what anyone says about your watch, (or how you spend your money FFS!) it’s yours to do with as you please.

and personally I’ll take a good relume over a bad relume everyday if it bugs me as-is.

SC1, watch3s and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 11, 2022

Agree, with the caveat that @airansun asked the community for feedback and for the most part, it was offered and received well. What he did not ask for was judgmental finger wagging about how he spends his money.

joeshoup, SC1 and blufinz52 like this.
  10. watch3s Dec 11, 2022

Id do it. One time I bought a beater polar 2 watch head and had it restored. They only forgot to change the glass at rollieworks but refunded me the cost. then came the issue of seeking out an appropriate bracelet and cut a permanent link to make right. Think the entire endeavor ended up being about a grand more than not buying it at Alltiques around 2014. Then again by 2017-2018. Ive worn this watch every time i travel and in general more than the original polar I sought out. Could wear it for months at a time and absolutely love it. I say as long as you love it, its worth it.

11. Anthony Lane Dec 11, 2022

Sorry, but this is just your opinion. Not everyone is holding out for the safe queen.

OP, reach out to True Patina, he does incredible restorative work on Rolexes.

Enjoy your 4 liner! Maybe it’s my phones screen but I’m not seeing the gilt.

12. michael e Still learning. Jan 1, 2023

I think the lume looks nice apart from the wobbly 12 marker and maybe one or two of the other markers.
    Another option would be to straighten the wobbly edges but this would need to be done carefully with a very fine brush and distilled water. The surface of these dials is very prone to scratches, even the fine grain of the tritium will leave a small scratch on the glossy surface, but someone who knows what they are doing will only brush towards the lume edge not away and towards the gloss surface.

UncleBuck and airansun like this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 1, 2023

Quadrophenic-Schizophrenia, marker for James Hyman.
    Correcting a relume with a superior relume is good in my book.
    If we want to start talking about common sense good investment of capital......well, we are in the wrong hobby.

Edited Jan 1, 2023
    hansaboy, SC1, southtexas and 2 others like this.
  14. southtexas Jan 7, 2023

^^this.

the watch looks very nice, that dial (relume aside) is wonderful. I would absolutely have it professionally relumed. I’ve heard great things about James in UK. Phillip Ridley relumed some old 5513 hands for me, he did an incredible job. I’m not sure if he does dials.

Congrats and good luck with it.

As an aside, does anyone know what the 82 ends belong to?

SC1 likes this.
  15. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Jan 9, 2023