Forums Latest Members
  1. NT931 Aug 16, 2013

One of the trusted eBay sellers, Alex, has a ConniePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network for auction on ebay.

It's got a discernably misaligned star (aka a Wonky Star) on the dial. There's also no mention if this is the original, non-redialled, dial (Alex seems to put 'original' when they're not redials, AFAIK).

Looking at the dial, I initially thought it was not a redial (MOY seemed OK, had some patina), but then I noticed the rather wonky star which is upside down, and I thought ... hmm.

I'm inclined to vote 'redial' due to what Desmond has humorously labelled as 'an excess of wonk' but I could be wrong. I'm not planning to bid for the watch (I'm going to Wonk On By and ignore it, apologies to Dionne Warwick!) but for my own learning, what do you guys think?

2. Hijak Aug 16, 2013

The cross hairs in relation to the dial markers seem to be off a little as well.:(

3. ulackfocus Aug 16, 2013

::rimshot::

That's down to my level of punationing.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 16, 2013

Pretty clearly a redial - the star, 5 minute marks not aligned with the arrowhead markers and "chronometer" rather than "chronometre"
    The only "chronometer" dials I have seen that are original with the 501/505 movements are the ones with case ref. 2887 (and not all of them have the ER spelling but most of them from what has surfaced).

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 16, 2013

I think someone tried to make this dial look like a pie-pan when it isn't. The dial looks like it was slighly folded in at each marker.

[​IMG]

On original pie-pans with the cal. 505 the folds are clear and distinct.

[​IMG]

I would stay away from this one,
    gatorcpa

John R Smith likes this.
  6. NT931 Aug 16, 2013

Apologies then to both Dionne Warwick AND Dennis ;) You know, I actually like that song ...

Thanks all for the quick replies!

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 16, 2013

I suppose it would not be difficult to make a mold from an actual Pie Pan dial, then cast a metal block to stamp or fold a regular dial into and voilà, you have a pseudo Pie Pan of sorts. We've seen this before.

8. ulackfocus Aug 16, 2013

I like the ones where they pattern the minute/second track in the shape of a pie pan on a dome dial.