The watch that started my journey

Well, it's here: Dad's vintage Constellation.

I remember my dad wearing this watch regularly for at least 15 years, maybe 20. He got it in the mid-1970s as one of a matched set (my stepmother wore a ladies' size for many years). By the early or mid '90s he had moved on to other watches (each one more garish than the last), and this one had disappeared. I thought of his watch a lot over the years, and it was the piece that got me interested in getting an Omega of my own (I know what you're all thinking - "AN Omega!? Like anyone can own just one. Ha!") As I embarked on my collection, I acquired a similar Constellation for myself, figuring that his watch was gone.

He passed away at the end of May last year, and I've made several trips to the old family home in Maine to help my sister and stepmother with all of the necessary posthumous arrangements. A few days ago, while looking through a decorative storage box, I removed a tray, and there was Dad's watch. My stepmother readily agreed that it should accompany me back to Michigan, and I've attached a few pictures here.
1000002012.jpg

As you can see, the dial is in good condition. The lume on the tips of the hands still glows, as do small lume pips on the dial at 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 11. (I'm not sure if the "OM" on either side of the "SWISS MADE" at the bottom of the dial refers to the lume, or to the gold, or what.) It is (obviously) a steel and yellow gold version of the 168.045 model. I've seen a similar (not identical) model on eBay recently, listed as a 368.845 based on numbers on the inside of the caseback. I haven't opened it to check, so I don't know if it's precisely the same model, nor do I have any papers for it.

The bracelet has a good deal of stretch, and the center links (at least) are hollow:
1000002014.jpg

The movement in my steel one is a 751, for which the date change is performed by pulling out the crown to the furthest position. (The day change is done by advancing the hands 24 hours - very tedious.) I very quickly noticed that the date change function on Dad's watch doesn't work the same way, so I don't know if this is a different caliber or whether Omega modified the 751 at some point. Regardless, I have no idea how long it's been since the watch was serviced, and I didn't try to wind it much.

It has a gold crown, and I always loved the monogram on the clasp:
1000002015.jpg

Here it is with mine:
1000002017.jpg

I'd appreciate any insights from those on the Forum who are more familiar with this particular line of Constellation than I am (please understand that this is a low bar). Any suggestions for what to do (and not do) to get it in wearable order? And if you, like me, are in southeast Michigan, I'd love a suggestion for an independent watchmaker who can do the work at a price that won't break the bank. That said, this is an heirloom, and I want the work done right.

Thanks to all of you for reading this - this watch is very special to me.

Like 14
I'm interested as well to hear what the experts think. OM usually mean the dial was gold from what I remember reading a while back.

Like 1
You are correct that the movement is different than yours. It should be a slightly later cal. 1021 movement. These did not have the push-pull quickest, but they did have a 2nd click to the stem that allowed for a direct quick change date.

upload_2024-8-12_14-37-36.jpeg
http://www.old-omegas.com/1012.html

Unfortunately, the dial on your father’s watch was incorrectly refinished at some time. The “OM” marking on the dial is supposed to mean “Or Massif”, or solid gold, but this is incorrect on this watch. Only watches full gold cases and bracelets had the solid gold dials. In addition, the fonts on the printing are slightly off.

Here’s what an original dial should look like:

upload_2024-8-12_14-31-11.jpeg
https://watchcharts.com/listing/234...-gold-steel-cal-1021-ba368-0851-168-0054-1972
https://watchcharts.com/listing/234...-gold-steel-cal-1021-ba368-0851-168-0054-1972
No suggestions for you on a local watchmaker.
gatorcpa

Like 4
Unfortunately, the dial on your father’s watch was incorrectly refinished at some time.
Thanks very much for your reply - this is extremely helpful. I actually wondered if the dial (or the watch in general) had had some work in the not-too-distant past, based on the amount of glow in the lume. It's reacting much more like Luminova than what I'd expect from tritium.

First of all, nice story and great watches. I do own the same combo of a cal.751 and a cal. 1021. They are not show pieces or NOS but they have stories behond that I value more than perfection.
The quick way to tell them apart is the bar located in the middle of the day-date window. No bar means 751.
Your gold/SS watch reference should be 168.0054, the cal.751 should instead be a 168.045

Generally the 751 is a more refined and sturdy movement compared to the following ones, but the 1021 itself is a nice movement.

I always liked the appeal of the Integrated bracelet case Constellations but I do have to say that bracelets (and stretch) are a nightmare to deal with.

.WhatsApp Image 2024-08-12 at 22.18.26.jpeg

Like 2
Thanks to all of you for your kind and helpful replies! @gatorcpa, your info about the different caliber and the dial is a great example of why I love the Forum.

Just as an afterthought, here are a couple of the watches my dad seemed to prefer to his Omega in his later years:
1000001973.jpg 1000001972.jpg

As you can imagine, I left them behind in Maine.

I'll update this when I find a good option for a local watchmaker, and again when it returns to life on my wrist.

Like 1
First of all, nice story and great watches. I do own the same combo of a cal.751 and a cal. 1021. They are not show pieces or NOS but they have stories behond that I value more than perfection.
The quick way to tell them apart is the bar located in the middle of the day-date window. No bar means 751.
Your gold/SS watch reference should be 168.0054, the cal.751 should instead be a 168.045

Generally the 751 is a more refined and sturdy movement compared to the following ones, but the 1021 itself is a nice movement.

I always liked the appeal of the Integrated bracelet case Constellations but I do have to say that bracelets (and stretch) are a nightmare to deal with.

.WhatsApp Image 2024-08-12 at 22.18.26.jpeg

Ah, the Kim-Il Sung limited edition to the left :)
Quite rare :thumbsup:

Like 1