Forums Latest Members

The watch market today - an example

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 29, 2015

In doing a little updating of the database today, I came across a little case study in today's watch market. This is a G381 that was listed on italian Ebay in June 2014 by a Genoese seller for USD6800 - local pickup only.

$_57.JPG

Of course it didn't sell. Apart from the price, this "local pickup only" thing is a deal-killer.

In Feb 2015, the same seller has gotten over his fear of couriers, upped his photo game (a bit) and re-lists for worldwide delivery with a wanker's reserve around USD4900.
    $_57 (5).JPG

Still no sale. At some point thereafter, a deal is done off of Ebay and the watch gets listed by an amateur dealer in MIlwaukee for a BIN of USD12995.

$_57 (8).JPG

$_57 (17).JPG

Amateur he may be, but he knows how to puff up a watch on ebay - lots of "tropical," "Unique," and "one of a kind." He lucks into an endorsement on Hodinkee's What's Selling Where and he sells for USD10150 (thanks, LarryG - see below for how he found out)

There are several interesting aspects to this, and I could go any number of ways, but the thing that I'll focus on is buyer ignorance. Some buyer ponied up a big check for a wretchedly overpolished (and I'm leaving my general distaste for damaged dials out of it) watch on the strength of some slightly better than average copy on Ebay and a public endorsement from a watch blog. The same buyer had a crack at it for half the price it ultimately sold for a month ago, if he could be bothered to do his own searches. He might also have found the listing with a "completed Items" search after the fact, but even due diligence seems too much trouble. He might also have looked at the plenty of examples on the web - heck, on this forum: https://omegaforums.net/threads/lightning-strikes-five-times-gold-el-primero-g-381.3324/
    But he didn't. I know I'm being kind of hard on the guy, but this one is a bit over the top.

Back to ignorance: Prices are skyrocketing - broadly. When this is the sort of thing that determines watch prices, it reeks of bubble to me. Vintage watches are - regrettably - a "thing" now and every men's fashion magazine reader wants one. One out of ten might hang around to get an eddication after stepping in it (and we all have stepped in it at one time or another); the other nine will be off to chase the next thing their men's magazines tells them is cool in six months along with their money. It'll be interesting to see what happens to prices then.

Edited Mar 29, 2015
  2. ELV web Mar 29, 2015

This kind of proves a point though, and is a point I am quite glad can still be proven (although probably much harder to prove vis a vis 5 years ago). Hard work pays :) and also this forum really helps a lot with the leg work already. Thanks a lot Lou and all other major contributors.

Eric

3. Buck2466 Mar 29, 2015

On the flip side, the internet also helps the seller......they have a bigger pool of idiots to draw from.:)

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 29, 2015

Good post, Lou, though I will make one qualification. The vintage watch market, like other collectors markets, always reflects the broader economy to some extent. "Biflation" has appeared in certain segments of the broader economy, and I would argue that the same is apparent in collectors markets.

So, for example, while it is undoubtedly true that the best and most sought-after watches (cars, works of art, etc.) have shot up in value over the past few years, and continue rise, the less desirable examples have gone down in value in many cases. That is because those who collect the mid-range (or lower) watches have, as a group, been hit hard by the ongoing crisis (excuse me, "recovery"), and so demand has been reduced while supply has increased.

The supply of high-class examples has also increased (as people are forced to turn assets into cash), but demand – especially for the most coveted models – has largely continued to outpace the supply. Oh, and the higher up the food-chain, the bigger the bubble.

I will add one other nuanced point. There are examples of high-class vintage watches that have slipped through the cracks, in that they have not been caught up in the bubble mania, have come well down from previous high values, and arguably represent terrific value at the moment. Broadly speaking, I would include Vacheron & Constantin in this category. While there are some V&C models that bring big money, there are plenty that are among the best watches ever made, in very good or better condition, that bring remarkably low prices relative to certain other vintages classes, and certainly relative to many contemporary watches.

Edited Mar 29, 2015
    billyblue, ELV web and NT931 like this.
  5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Mar 29, 2015

I actually don't like the way how things are moving. Rolex guys are pricing themselves out and branching out to other brands. A few of these dealers are playing the tropical or military cards on watches and it seems that their intended crowd is willing to throw big money into those watches than most of us regular folks. Not good for the majority of us but I guess you can't argue with the market forces. Only time will tell.

6. calalum Mar 29, 2015

The same can be said about "values" for many collectible items, including art, cars, etc. It just takes one buyer who fancies an item and the entire concept of a market price is out the window. I recognize that the cognoscenti here are less likely to be those buyers, and it certainly has become far more difficult to get a decent deal on good vintage pieces.

7. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Mar 29, 2015

image.jpg Lou, you can use watchcount.com to find out prices for this and other outrageous examples of "more money than sense..."
    In this case:

LouS likes this.
  8. NT931 Mar 29, 2015

I agree. Vintage Rolex prices have (IMO) moved into bubble-ish territory, and it's getting to a point where every single minute detail gets over-hyped into a unique feature that inflates value by a fair amount. That has spilled over into other brands, though VC seems to have been less affected as Tony has mentioned. Vintage UG has really been affected by this.

9. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Mar 29, 2015

The usual driver of a significant bubble burst is speculation. The market is inundated with new players only with the hopes of selling for more than they paid, with little or no interest in the actual item they are buying. So although there are some of those people who are entering the market, it doesn't haven't the same feel as the collapse of the sports card market in the 90's, for example. So probably a levelling or modest correction to be expected at some point, but probably not a massive downward adjustment in prices. Just my opinion of course.

10. NT931 Mar 29, 2015

I should add that Hodinkee featured (as a negative example) a website where you could "build your own vintage watch" , which in this case was a fake Rolex Comex Submariner. Another example of how the Rolex bubble is fueling all sorts of craziness, and all sorts of opportunities for the unscrupulous.

11. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 29, 2015

All true Lou, every word of it, even the bubble part,
    but bubbles always last longer than anyone thinks,
    and prices always go higher than anyone thinks.
    To play devil's advocate for a minute, the second seller
    would say, I saw an opportunity there, why didn't you buy it?
    In a true secular bull market, paying what seems too high
    in the present, will, in the retrospect of time, look like a bargain.
    We have a euphemism in my business, "Sold out Bull"
    Which of course means they recognized the opportunity
    correctly, but sold out way too early and missed the exponential
    rise. This kind of markup is sort of an outlier, but it could also portend
    of the coming secular bull market in Zenith, couldn't it? In other word's
    the beginning, not the top.

Edited Mar 29, 2015
  12. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 29, 2015

My feelings to a "T", Tony!(pun intended)
    Excellent synopsis! Bravo.
    Except the VC part, haven't looked at them

13. imexian Mar 29, 2015

Its a shame that speculators are swarming like buzzards onto the classic/vintage market, which leaves the genuine enthusiasts on a limb, i cannot compete with mega bucks dealers hoping to turn a quick buck (pound) with a Rolex/Omega etc, but i suppose its been like this for decades, unfortunately for the real person thats actually likes wearing these timepieces for there own pleasure, its getting beyond there finances.

gophishin likes this.
  14. Traveler Mar 29, 2015

I've been purchasing vintage watches for about a year - ever since my first one was gifted to me and I found this forum. I've always liked watches, without really knowing too much about them. Before enjoying vintage, I owned Cartier, Omega, Rolex, and a JLC. I was always scared of buying vintage ( or even non vintage 'used' ) as all I'd heard about were the stories of fakes and duds, and that you had to be an expert not to get ripped off. But the proliferation of information and knowledge sharing that technology has enabled has changed all of that - as long as you do your homework! I am far from an expert on any aspect if this 'hobby' but I know where to go to get the right info to make a good purchase, and at a reasonable price. I was actually totting up the 'value' of all of mine yesterday, as I was sorting out some insurance, and I was actually a little surprised at the total figure. I'm sure at some point I will sell watches, but I didn't buy them to sell them, I bought them because I think they are wonderful objects that I treasure. But more than that - they are useful to me because I enjoy wearing them. They are as essential to me as a pair of shoes or a belt or something. In that regard, I'm not worried about them being part of a bubble, and I expect not many of us here are...

gophishin and oddboy like this.
  15. Traveler Mar 29, 2015

Hadn't seen your post before I posted mine - and I guess I take your point here - of course it would be better if I could afford every watch I wanted, but again, it's a natural consequence of more people with means having access to the 'right' information, and having their eyes opened to what is actually out there.

JohnSteed likes this.
  16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 29, 2015

I think the key is stay true to your enthusiasm and not going with the herd mentality. There are many very good underestimated brand that still obscure to those trader (there is thread discussing that now.....talking about helvetia, eterna, rado, alpina even lemania).
    We should not let brand blind us into what in essence really make a vintage watch great.

NT931 likes this.
  17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 29, 2015

Feel your pain guys. Our small dedicated omega vintage lover in here has been joined by few ex vintage rolex collectors. Those wishful thinking vintage Omega sellers found a good market. What we see as ridiculous mark up is still considered cheap by those vintage Rolex collectors.

18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 29, 2015

With the rising prices, I think that this highlights the need for focused collections. Like all noobs, when I started, it was all about quantity but as that novelty wore off and I realised which way my interest truly lay, it has become about quality. Other than for fuelling my secondary hobby of watch tinkering, I only bought three watches last year (and one of those was because of that bloody squirrel) so, in fact only two that were on my specific target list. Three months into this year and I am yet to score from the primary list although the tree rat has struck twice with minor purchases.

All the time it remains about the pleasure of owning these watches, I'm not too fussed about the potential of the bubble bursting but if it ever became solely about the investment potential, I think that is the time that I would give up collecting.

JohnSteed and timeismoney like this.
  19. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 29, 2015

For me, owning them is secondary, as is the
    investment potential. The glorious part is the hunt
    and the knowledge gained during the hunt.
    I am completely unfocused as a collector, I am
    drawn to the iconic, across the spectrum.

valjoux72, HeuerLoon, micampe and 4 others like this.
  20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 29, 2015

Well, my issue is not with the seller - he's hustled and made a buck - it's with the ignorance of the final buyer, as emblematic of what is driving the general rise in prices. The guy bought basically because of a few buzzwords in the lisiting and a mention on Hodinkee. And I don't think it's one of the deep-pocket Rolex collectors a number of people alluded to - I think anyone who has looked closely at watches could recognize an overpolish when he saw one, even if he was unfamiliar with the model. I understand that I'm idealizing a bit in thinking that all buyers back in the day were well-informed, but at the $10,000 price point, it's a little concerning seeing someone who just clearly is not.

I'll probably rue this thread when these are trading at four times that.....::facepalm2::

gophishin and JohnSteed like this.