Forums Latest Members

The Wait is KILLING Me - First Speedy Incoming

1. ras47 Apr 22, 2017

Delivery is set for Monday. I bought a Moonwatch Co-Axial Chronograph (311.33.44.51.01.001) online and I'm geeking out about it. Not my first Omega, but until now I've had Seamasters. I'm getting text alerts from the USPS every time the package moves.

Ironically, I recently got the grail watch, a Rolex GMT2 Pepsi, but then the Speedmaster bug bit me, and it bit deep! I think I did this right though. I did a lot of research, and it was a Herculean task to pick a specific model to begin with. I believe I got a great deal too. The Speedy will need a bit of attention but that's ok considering the price. And I'm not a collector - I'm a wearer.

What's unfortunate about my choice is that there are far fewer strap options for the 44.25mm models than for the other size ones. Supply will catch up, and there are definitely some good options out there now. Just not the plethora of choices everyone else enjoys. All in all, however, it's a small price to pay.

pdw1, Mad Dog, Markinrecess and 3 others like this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 22, 2017

Congrats on getting the Moonwatch Co-Axial. Make sure to post some pics here on Monday. How did you decide on this version over a more traditional manual, 1861 movement?

3. ras47 Apr 22, 2017

I agonized at that particular choice. I was surprised by how many Speedy owners say the manual winding is an integral part of Speedy ownership. For a first-time owner I'm still not sure that I'm not missing something. What tipped it for me in the end was the added size of the 9300 movement models. Of course I'm sure I'll have another, and another, and another... so my next one will be a 1861 movement model.

Sculler22 and blufinz52 like this.
  4. ras47 Apr 23, 2017

The watch left the mid-west yesterday and arrived in Teterboro NJ, about 40 minutes from my house, at 1:00 AM today. I'm getting text alerts every time the package moves. I was hoping it would be delivered today now that the US Mail is doing Sunday deliveries and it's so darn close! At one point I saw a package outside but it was something from Amazon. Crap! Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow, but with it arriving early this morning in NJ so close to my house I thought I had a shot at early delivery. Sonomobeetch. Silly to think even for a second that the Amazon package was the watch - signature required - and the Amazon package was just left on the porch. But for just half a second there something inside me lit up.

hqdefault.jpg
    Edited Apr 23, 2017
  5. Sculler22 Apr 23, 2017

What's the opposite of separation anxiety?

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 23, 2017

It'll be over soon, and then you can settle in to what the next one will be. :D

nonuffinkbloke, ras47 and ahartfie like this.
  7. ras47 Apr 23, 2017

Tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow. It's only a day a--way.

8. lillatroll Apr 23, 2017

Congratulations on the new watch :)
    If it makes the wait feel any better, I travel home once a year so I have to wait many months before I can see my watches. I have reserved a speedytuesd and if it doesn't arrive by mid July then it will be July 2018 before I can see it and Wear it. :(

9. ras47 Apr 24, 2017

Geez, and here I am whinging about a single day! And not even an extra day - standard delivery as expected. To paraphrase Colonel Nathan Jessup, "Well don't I feel like a freakin' a-hole."

lillatroll likes this.
  10. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 24, 2017

I waited nearly 40 years for my Dad's1965 pre-moon 321 Speedmaster. I waited so long, that by the time I got it, the dial had gone brown!:(

TJH, ahartfie, marcn and 5 others like this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 24, 2017

Poor you. Boohoo. :D

12. lillatroll Apr 24, 2017

Lol
    Nothing wrong with be excited about getting a new watch. Opening the box, deciding if you are going to look at the watch or what's in the box first. Then spending hours examine the watch, putting it on, looking at it on the wrist, taking it off again, examining it and finding out you have discovered a new detail. Then hitting the internet to look at pictures and read some more.......and repeat :)
    When I do get home it is like Christmas all over again so I don't really mind the wait. I hope you get many hours of pleasure when you get it.

13. ras47 Apr 24, 2017

And the wait is over!!

My Speedmaster 9300 arrived today exactly as described and right on time. I can't describe how impressed I am, both with the Speedy and with the deal I got. When I opened the package I got a nice surprise - some bonus straps! Gotta love bonus stuff!! I took a picture of my Rolex GMT2 on my wrist right before putting on the Speedmaster, just for comparison.

IMG_1961.jpg IMG_1962.jpg IMG_1963.jpg IMG_1965.jpg IMG_1969.jpg
  14. ras47 Apr 24, 2017

Folks with keen eyes will notice a ding on the top of the bezel between 11:00 and 12:00. That was discussed prior to my purchase and figured prominently in the pricing of this Speedy. I will take it to the OB at some point soon and have it repaired. It in no way effects the watch's function and I don't want to be without it for a bit so repairs will wait until I'm darn good and ready.

15. Bushido Apr 24, 2017

That is a really fun pair of watches @ras47! They're nice compliments to each other and will be fun going back and forth wearing. Congratulations!

ras47 likes this.
  16. WurstEver Apr 24, 2017

Congratulations! And welcome to the "steel side of the moon"! It's a great bit of kit: the classic speedmaster look, a reliable, long-running, modern movement, the convenience of a date, the ability to easily track a second time zone, and just a little extra wrist presence. Wear it in good health. Oh, and that's a very nice two-piece collection you have going there too :thumbsup:

ras47 likes this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 24, 2017

What you should notice about yours is that, once on, it won't want to come off the next rotation...congrats on an awesome watch. And as previously mentioned, good luck selecting the next 1861 version :)

ras47 likes this.
  18. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 24, 2017

What a lovely pair of watches!
    Decisions decisions every morning? Omega or Rolex... Rolex or Omega???:)

ras47 likes this.
  19. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 24, 2017

Congratulations!

ras47 likes this.
  20. Sculler22 Apr 24, 2017

How does the size of the new watch feel compared to the GMT?

ras47 likes this.