Forums Latest Members
  1. Jaacck Nov 16, 2016

So this is my first post on this forum, have been browsing for some time but thought I would share my trip to an Omega AD today which resulted in me taking home a new Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005 with steel bracelet.

Have had an interest in watches and particularly Omega for a few years now but my interest peaked at the start of this year for the Speedmaster specifically. Began reading the usual Speedy Tuesday and the countless forum posts about the watch ( I think it helped how much reading material there was to get hooked on the watch itself ).

My search for the watch started online, checking prices etc to see whether to go to a grey dealer/boutique or an AD. Decided to go to a local AD called Watches of Switzerland to have a look in the window with my partner and ended up trying the watch on, decided I loved it and was something I would get in the near future but couldn't that day ( this was early on this year ).
    Forward on to a couple weeks a go, my fiancé went to the shop to purchase the watch as a surprise for Christmas, she received a very cold reception at the store and was almost ushered out of the door and was not given the opportunity to sit down and discuss the purchase. We assume this is due to her/our age but they missed out on a genuine opportunity to sell a watch and I think once you have been buzzed inside the store and have made an enquiry you are surely a fairly interested customer worth speaking too instead of just window shopping. Due to the reception she received she left it and decided to tell me about her surprise to make sure she got the right model and it was also definitely something I wanted as its a pricey purchase for us.

We went to Goldsmiths in Brighton who gave us a great service, were sat down and offered wine/water etc immediately once we had said what we were interested in. Went through the motions of discussing the watch with the store manager who was knowledgeable and helpful and ended up purchasing the watch. Was a great experience being my first luxury watch purchase and would recommend the shop to anybody. ( realise that goldsmiths is part of the same group as WOS but was like night and day in terms of service )

Hence the wait begins as the watch is a present for Christmas and we had it gift wrapped so cannot even look!

[​IMG]

I do however have a question if you have made it this far.. I want to get a leather bracelet for the watch, ideally from Omega. Have seen online you can buy the straps from various places, do you need to buy the deployment buckle section of the strap separately or does it come with it? The below has sold out but gives you an idea.

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/co...gator-leather-deployment-watch-strap-98000216

2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Nov 16, 2016

Generally I have seen deployants sold separately, as they are costly on their own. However you can probably purchase the strap and deployant together through an authorized dealer, Omega Boutique, or even through the sales forums on here possibly.

Congrats on the purchase, looking forward to seeing wrist shots after Xmas.

Jaacck likes this.
  3. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Nov 16, 2016

Congratulations on your new Speedy. Not sure I could wait until Christmas to open it up.
    The strap and buckle are two different parts. This gives you the opportunity to buy different colors and material straps and use them with the one buckle. You will need a 20/18 strap and an 18mm buckle. Make sure to post a pic on Christmas day.

4. ulackfocus Nov 16, 2016

The term is "deployant". Thank you!

Nitzbar and Greatpa like this.
  5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Nov 16, 2016

No way I would wait another month and a half. OPEN IT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halldawg and Jwit like this.
  6. Jaacck Nov 16, 2016

Apologies, deployant *. Always learning . :)

Unfortunately going to have to wait, my better half is quite insistent! Will definitely post a photo on Christmas Day. Going to be a long 5 weeks ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maximus84 and Jwit like this.
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 16, 2016

I'd encourage you to log off this message board until Christmas, if you have no self control. If you have some self control then don't look at the WRUW post on Tuesdays.

You have been warned.

Welcome to OF.

My first Omega watch was a speedy too.

Nitzbar and Jwit like this.
  8. Davidt Nov 16, 2016

Great first watch.

I have an original Omega deployant but use aftermarket straps, made specifically to fit (normal leather straps don't work with the deployant. Cousins in the UK sell straps that are great value (around £50) and fit perfectly. I think they're called 'Bellini range'.

9. Bushido Nov 16, 2016

I am also in the camp of "no way I could wait until the holidays!" before opening up. The self restraint and/or fear of your fiance's wrath are impressive!

As to the leather strap idea: Before purchasing, try out the NATO straps which are included with your new Speedy. You may find they fit the part quite well and thus save yourself some cash on an additional strap.

10. Andreas Nov 16, 2016

congrats on the speedy. wear it in good health
    Tell your fiance that the internet people want you to open the watch now. they cant wait until Christmas for pictures ::bleh::

Jaacck, Halldawg and Jwit like this.
  11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 16, 2016

And that you can't compete in the @Darlinboy Christmas photo contest.

I think we are making a case for you to open it early.

Jking and Jwit like this.
  12. Jking something intelligent and witty... Nov 16, 2016

Haven't you heard it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission? ;)

And welcome to OF!

Nitzbar and Jwit like this.
  13. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Nov 16, 2016

I for one applaud OP's commitment and restraint. Just imagine how sweet Christmas morning will be.

However, now is the time to add a rider for it to your insurance. Get on it!

Jaacck and Jwit like this.
  14. Jaacck Nov 17, 2016

Thanks for the replies. We had a similar thing last year where I had another watch ( a fairly inexpensive Seiko Automatic ) for christmas and I looked at it every couple days on the lead up to christmas, by the time I got the watch I had seen it so much it had lost a bit of the "christmas morning magic" that my fiancé was hoping for.

Will keep it in the bag / all the boxes it comes in for a long 5 weeks. ( she said the internet people can wait btw ;) )

ahartfie, Andreas, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  15. Exarkun12 Nov 17, 2016

Omg I absolutely won't be able to wait. Respect!!!! It will be a great xmas for you this year!!! Congrats :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

16. Sanmilc Nov 17, 2016

5 WEEKS?? ::facepalm1::

Taddyangle likes this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2016

If I were you I'd fly to to Australia or New Zealand , you'd get to open it up a day earlier ;)

ulackfocus and Jaacck like this.
  18. Cosd Nov 17, 2016

So your fiance bought this for you and told you to wait till Xmas!

What sort of person does that?

Mad Dog and Taddyangle like this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2016

She who must be obeyed

ulackfocus and Jaacck like this.
  20. meganfox17 Nov 17, 2016

[​IMG]

Mad Dog, ulackfocus and tapaptpat like this.