Forums Latest Members
  1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 1, 2018

After a quick look I see the VAT in the EU ranges from 18-27% depending on the country. I was looking at a website that posted the item sales price before VAT and after the VAT. Heck of a tax rate. Besides the VAT are any local sales taxes added on in the European countries or do countries adjust their VAT to include other taxes?

Howa about internet sales, do these have the VAT applied if you are buying within the EU? My watch strap purchase from Germany does not include any taxes, so I will assume internet sales internationally escape the tax. The VAT must be something that took getting a while to accept.

2. Davidt Sep 1, 2018

In the UK prices aren't listed with and without tax (except perhaps at airports etc).

They're usuallly just listed with the full price which includes 20% vat.

The Father likes this.
  3. albertob Sep 1, 2018

Usually in EU you only pay VAT (which usually is included in the price).

I lived in Italy, Germany, Sweden, Croatia, Belgium and Poland. There is only the VAT, we do not have additional taxes (e.g. county rate, state rate,...)

For some goods you can also ask for reimbursement if you are non-EU citizen.

As an example, in many fashion outlets in Italy you get a guide in English on how to get back the VAT from customs.

Same applies into airports on duty free, if you are flying within Europe and you have a non-EU passport you pay lower prices on alcohol and sigarettes.

Cheers

Edited Sep 1, 2018
    The Father likes this.
  4. Davidt Sep 1, 2018

Usually no sales tax to add. Certainly in the U.K. it's just vat.

The Father likes this.
  5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 1, 2018

How about internet sales within the EU, are these subject to the VAT?

6. Davidt Sep 1, 2018

You pay local vat at the point of sale with no additional vat added when you import it to another EU country.

Part of the benefit of being within the EU, you don't have the hassle with customs/extra taxes etc.

Syrte and The Father like this.
  7. Oku Sep 1, 2018

EU websites selling to end consumers have to show the final prices including taxes.

The Father likes this.
  8. WatchWalker Sep 1, 2018

All retail prices should include VAT, in any EU country. In some cases, i.e. tobacco, fuel, cars or alcohol, the price shown is likely to include also other taxes.. For most goods, including watches, it will be purely VAT. You pay the VAT in the country where the good is delivered. If you buy online, they will charge the VAT of the country where that company is registered. You'll probably won't even know the rate since retail prices should include VAT. If you live outside of EU, you can get a tax refund. For example, you live in the Statues and you buy a watch in Germany, you pay the tax at the sales point, you show your watch and invoice at the customs point at the airport and you will get a tax refund. Of course you are supposed to declare these goods (and pay tax) again at the point of arrival. VAT (Value added tax) is applied in all EU countries. They started to apply this VAT late 60's early 70's (depending on the country) to replace the tax system they had before.

The Father and Davidt like this.
  9. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 1, 2018

Think I got, so if I am in France and a shirt has a sales tag of 100 Euros the VAT is already in the sales price. I walk out the door paying 100 Euros.

10. WatchWalker Sep 1, 2018

Yes, that’s correct

11. abrod520 Sep 1, 2018

Also, your strap purchase from Germany was not charged VAT since it's being exported to the US (I assume). Instead of paying EU VAT, you'll pay US import duty, at least according to the law

12. Davidt Sep 1, 2018

I'm not sure that sellers automatically remove vat for out of EU purchases.

Also, vat isn't always charged. Private sellers or pseudo dealers selling less than around £70k/year are exempt.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 1, 2018

All of the above seems to be correct, but as a US resident, you need to aware of something else when shopping online.

By law, most sellers in the EU have to charge the VAT on all mail order purchases. I presume that would include online, since almost all online watch purchases are going to be delivered by a post office or private mail service (read - FedEx, DHL, etc.).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-retail-export-scheme-notice-704#para2-8

There is an exception for sellers that have retail stores, use their VAT resellers license and keep the proper paperwork. Most small resellers don't want to bother with this exemption, so you are going to pay the VAT on almost all eBay purchases.

On top of this, you are liable to the US government for customs duties, and also for state and local use taxes in your resident state. This could add up to 40% to 50% of the pre-VAT price of a item on eBay.

Most of the time, the USPS does not bother computing the customs duties, even if the item is declared at full value. Most states lack the resources to enforce the use tax laws against private individuals, but give you an opportunity to make it right on your personal income tax returns on a "voluntary" basis.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 1, 2018

1/ no kidding,
    2/ no additional taxes - but don’t you think the national one is enough?
    3/yes the VAT is applied to internet sales within EU.