Forums Latest Members

The ups and downs of watchmaking...

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 3, 2013

Today working on a variety of watches. The first one is certainly the upside of this profession....very nice Patek Phiippe pocket watch movement, which was one of 5 watches this client sent me:

[​IMG]

It's a joy to work on watches like this, as the parts all fit together so nicely, which is not always the case I can assure you. Everything is done just so, and to see these details done in a way that allows the Geneva seal...well it's just very nice work put it that way.

When I got that movement running I put it down and started immediately working on this:

[​IMG]

Certainly a step or two down from the PP, and as this movement shot shows, it's not even a chronograph. Those may be chronograph hands on the dial, but they are all just glued in place:

[​IMG]

Sometimes I feel dirty...LOL!

Yes I've posted in other places that I don't mind working on quartz, but when it's as bad as this one is, well I really could do without these jobs. Fortunately it's only here for movement checks, new cell, and taking out some bracelet links. Only doing this because it's one of my wife's co-workers.

Anyway, I much prefer the Patek level work to quartz, that's for sure.

Cheers, Al